shopping cart empty
Noisy bastard
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      11/16/2014 4:24:52 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Jaccoman
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 2948
  • Reviews 76
  • Kudos2625
Noisy bastard
This charger is driving my cat to edges of insanity. It produces a very high pitched almost kind of whistling sound, that gets louder and more annoying when te batteries are fully charged. Anyone else got this problem, or is mine just a faulty build?

Jaccoman marked this question as answered on 11/16/2014 at 6:14 AM
I am Groot.
Answer
Robert2
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 4711
  • Reviews 186
  • Kudos4141
I have the i4 and it doesn't make any noise. High pitched noises are often a sign of a problem transformer, or a failing capacitor. I've had things where the transformer has done this since forever and hasn't posed a danger or failed, just been an annoyance, but if it is possible to return it for exchange I'd consider it.

I'm sure the battery cops and scaremongers will be along shortly to petrify you.
I know you are, you said you are, so what am I
#2 (permalink)      11/16/2014 4:30:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Robert2
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 4711
  • Reviews 186
  • Kudos4141
+1 details
I have the i4 and it doesn't make any noise. High pitched noises are often a sign of a problem transformer, or a failing capacitor. I've had things where the transformer has done this since forever and hasn't posed a danger or failed, just been an annoyance, but if it is possible to return it for exchange I'd consider it.

I'm sure the battery cops and scaremongers will be along shortly to petrify you.
I know you are, you said you are, so what am I
#3 (permalink)      11/16/2014 4:39:54 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
nerfologist
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 5480
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos7123
+5 details
We're here. This normally happens very close to the point when it will self destruct. When it does any batteries that have been charged in the unit, they don't even have to be in the charger still, will vent violently and explode with a force not dissimilar to what happened in Hiroshima. It's not the noise that's bothering your cat, animals can sense impending doom, such as earthquakes, tsunami's and venting batteries. You have been warned many time on this forum. When will people learn? ;)

On the other hand, ignore me, I'm full of shit. Do as Robert suggest's, seem's like sound advice.
Loud and proud member of the FT EW Club. #EWindahouse - NEW ACHIEVEMENT AWARDED - Entitled Noob. Yayyyy. :D
#4 (permalink)      11/16/2014 4:47:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Jaccoman
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 2948
  • Reviews 76
  • Kudos2625
+3 details
I am Groot.
#5 (permalink)      11/16/2014 6:10:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
VaperUK
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 3823
  • Reviews 91
  • Kudos2964
Whistling atomisers drive me to the edge of insanity, that`s why I replace them

not because they are dangerous, but because they are annoying - I would probably do the same with a charger ;)

(it might be dangerous though)
#6 (permalink)      11/16/2014 6:15:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Jaccoman
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 2948
  • Reviews 76
  • Kudos2625
Instead of mixing my juices on sunday, I'll spend today building a soundproof room for my charger.
I am Groot.
#7 (permalink)      11/16/2014 6:16:51 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
nerfologist
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 5480
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos7123
+1 details
@VaperUK
It's all your fault. I've seen you bang on about whistling atomiser's plenty of time's and understand your point. I'm partially deaf so I don't hear them. About a week ago I read another post from you about whistling. Not long after that I rebuilt one of my Orchid's that had been in use for some time and it started whistling, must be loud because I can hear it, sounds like a train whistle! You jinxed my Orchid. ;) Hope when I rebuild it goes.
Loud and proud member of the FT EW Club. #EWindahouse - NEW ACHIEVEMENT AWARDED - Entitled Noob. Yayyyy. :D
#8 (permalink)      11/16/2014 6:18:51 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
nerfologist
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 5480
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos7123
Jaccoman wrote:

Instead of mixing my juices on sunday, I'll spend today building a firesoundproof room for my charger.

#9 (permalink)      11/16/2014 6:22:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Ambustus
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 588
  • Reviews 30
  • Kudos357
+1 details
Try 12V DC adapter if you have one.
#10 (permalink)      11/16/2014 6:57:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
waveclipper
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 12
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos5
I have an I2 and it makes a low volume/high pitched beep while the batteries are charging that becomes a low volume/high pitched whine when the batteries are fully charged. The batteries always charge to 4.2 V (checked on a multimeter) and do not appear to be suffering from any ill effects. I do not mind the beeping/whining as it lets me know when the batteries are charged up - the sound is only really noticeable in a reasonably quiet room. It has always made these noises since I got it, but no problems with 6 months of regular use.

My D2 does not beep/whine and I like to check the voltage of the batteries as they are charging from time to time so it gets more use these days.
#11 (permalink)      11/16/2014 7:41:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Rene774
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 390
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos152
I bought one at FT last year. no sounds.