shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Definitive solution to avoiding dry hits - replace the bottom o-ring
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      12/26/2015 8:44:21 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
patrico1112
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 2138
  • Reviews 436
  • Kudos1961
+1 details
Shelgah...I've been using those thin O-rings since I got my Lemo 2. They are thinner, but they do seal if you put them in right. They also do give you a little bit better juice flow. I only use one on the bottom.
#12 (permalink)      12/27/2015 3:40:43 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AlexAlexAlex
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 49
  • Reviews 18
  • Kudos14
+1 details
patrico1112: I have vaped between 20-40 watts with my thinner o-rings. When the juice flow is unrestricted, the coil can really suck up alot of juice.

ShelaghStone: Thanks for the info. I'll update the post with your experience. To be honest I think another factor is the glass - one end of my tank is not perfectly flat. I think normal manufacturing variances when they are cutting this glass can have an impact on how it deforms the o-ring.

Edited on 12/27/2015 at 3:41 AM. Reason:
#13 (permalink)      12/27/2015 3:48:36 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AlexAlexAlex
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 49
  • Reviews 18
  • Kudos14
+1 details
gabiano87: I'm glad you have success with this method of finding the perfect tightness - but many users dont. I think there is variances in both the glass tanks (thickness and flatness of the end) and obviously degredation of the o-rings over time. The over/under tightening solution did not work reliably for me - it just became annoying. For instance, I might find the perfect tightness for indoor use, then when I'm out in the sun it starts leaking everywhere.

Hence why I propose the new bottom o-ring - it fixes the root cause of the issue in my case.
#14 (permalink)      12/27/2015 7:20:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Puff_Cabby
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 7453
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos3894
+1 details
I think the airflow part loosening off from the tank when you adjust it or refill it comes in to play as well regarding leaking.

Edited on 12/27/2015 at 7:22 AM. Reason:
#15 (permalink)      12/27/2015 9:29:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23171
patrico1112 wrote:

Shelgah...I've been using those thin O-rings since I got my Lemo 2. They are thinner, but they do seal if you put them in right. They also do give you a little bit better juice flow. I only use one on the bottom.

Good to know.
If in need I will try them at some point.

Theoretically though, it appeared as if the original o-Rings had essentially "thinned out" worn down, etc; so when I finally received these ones you speak of and took a look at them, I couldn't quite imagine why they were going to work. So I just looked around for something a bit better, or so I assumed.......

I have 4 Lemos with a 5th on the way. One broke shortly after I purchased it and never quite worked properly again, so I have 3 that work and each one, I found, once a few months had passed began to leak like crazy.

If it fell on its side it leaked.
If I loaded juice into it and forgot to close the AC, which for some inexplicable reason, I did more than once, not only did it leak, but literally emptied the tank down to half capacity within minutes.
Any time I did that, I had no choice but to strip it down and wash it thoroughly and start over----that became too time consuming.

For lack of a better description, the orings were no longer thick enough to prevent the juice from pouring through.
Hence, why I couldn't understand how these these thinner ones could be any better?

I will take your word for it and one day try. Fortunately I do have plenty of oRings from various STM's I bought and don't care for, and the extra bags i picked up here for o'rings.

They work so perfectly I was unable to look at the thinner ones and understand how they could have worked as well, as one the original size but since you say they are working for you, that's great.......

(*~*) Was bored to death.. RIP :)
#16 (permalink)      12/27/2015 9:36:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23171

ShelaghStone: Thanks for the info. I'll update the post with your experience. To be honest I think another factor is the glass - one end of my tank is not perfectly flat. I think normal manufacturing variances when they are cutting this glass can have an impact on how it deforms the o-ring.

You may very well be right. Only you know.
If so that is unfortunate as I have had 4 so far in production for myself and never once had a problem with the glass.

I keep all the boxes to all the gear I buy but am too lazy to run downstairs now to a cupboard I keep them in, dig out the box, but don't they come with an extra glass tank?
If not, I would think you could buy one here for $1-$2.....But you already know that, so sorry to hear its not performing correctly but it seems a lot of people are not crazy about this tank.
Yet, still one of my all time faves....

One of the ones I bought did have a wonky bottom.....just put that down to the lack of quality control out of china

I think the airflow part loosening off from the tank when you adjust it or refill it comes in to play as well regarding leaking.

Out of the 4 I have received so far, only one had what you speak of and yes, it was a bit more problematic but all the others do not.

Edited on 12/27/2015 at 9:39 AM. Reason:
(*~*) Was bored to death.. RIP :)
#17 (permalink)      2/6/2016 5:42:20 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
flux_
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 679
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos335
+2 details
I know I'm really late, but I just want to pop in here and say: tried Ms. ShelaghStone's Subtank Mini o-ring method and it has completely changed this tank for me.

Running 26g Kanthal, 0.44 ohms at 30W and no dry hits -- just a really nice vape. At first, I had to battle my instincts while vaping to not stop lung-inhaling. I was so used to the fracking dry hits from the default Lemo 2 that I, by force of habit, only took itty-bitty inhales. I can do wide-open lung inhales at 40W+ now, with no worries. Nice one, Shelagh!!
#18 (permalink)      2/6/2016 5:58:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Puff_Cabby
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 7453
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos3894
I'm going to get some Sheubtank seals next order myself as I'm sick of the dry hits as well, the flashlight ones do nothing to improve a Lemo 2 so don't waste your money of them,

I'm having health issues right now and the chief suspect has been the Lemo 2 but now not for the reasons I originally thought, having found some more info from another vaper who had the exact same symptoms as me a few years ago which turned out to be dry hits causing it I'm now going to give these seals a try and if that doesn't sort it they are in the bin.
#19 (permalink)      2/6/2016 6:02:52 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
flux_
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 679
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos335
+1 details
@Puff_Cabby hope your health issues will be allayed from this. The subtank o-ring drops in like it was designed to be in the Lemo 2.
#20 (permalink)      2/6/2016 6:17:46 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Puff_Cabby
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 7453
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos3894
+1 details
flux_ wrote:

@Puff_Cabby hope your health issues will be allayed from this. The subtank o-ring drops in like it was designed to be in the Lemo 2.

I'm actually on another one right now as well, been cleaning the Lemo's out and as I was about to fresh build I thought lets pull the pin out of the peek and see what's in there, sure enough old juice residue sealed in nicely for a bacteria hotel of magnitude, can't say for sure if this is part of it or not yet but it looks like an overlooked hygiene thing that could be the reason so many ppl report how great the Lemo 2 was when it was new and then how shit it is later.

#21 (permalink)      2/29/2016 6:39:23 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Puff_Cabby
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 7453
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos3894
Try this ppl,

Break it down and use a syringe needle to remove both top and bottom seals, wash the seals off and then do the same to the deck and top cap section, dry both off making sure you clean any water out of the grooves the seals sit in, replace the seals (use the ones you took out I don't think they are degradable anyway, might want to flip it over if you can detect where the glass has dug in and formed a ridge on the seal,

Wick it by having a tight but moveable wick and snip it to the deck floor, 2 options now, juice it and push the wicks back taking care not to compact them other than the first 0.5mm of them that sits on the deck, or blow on both ends to fluff them out, replace the chimney and ensure it hasn't dragged the cotton, if it has use the needle to gently spread it again, drop some juice on the coil and allow it to wet the wick, add some more to the wick but avoid the outer edge as you want it to naturally soak it's way to the end, fill it up and away you go,

I did both mine like this tonight, one is happily pulling a 70/30 through @ 27w 1.1ohm and the other the blown on one is sucking a 20/80 mix reasonably well also at 27w on a 0.8ohm,

I can't say things will remain ok but it's working right now without issues so what do you have to lose, the 20/80 is interesting as it says to me the channels are big enough and that any problems are due to the wick you use, hth.