shopping cart empty
Best shipping option for UK, please?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#41 (permalink)      7/2/2019 2:49:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
desuede
  • JoinedOct 2015
  • Posts 1463
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1368
+2 details
Still.Me wrote:

Might've been a better option for the UK than Canada?!

Possibly, but I wouldn't know.

One other alternative is Hong Kong Post. But that one has been slower than Singpost historically, at least to Europe.

#42 (permalink)      7/2/2019 9:54:14 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RussG
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 3398
  • Reviews 105
  • Kudos3793
+2 details
Still.Me wrote:

@desuede

Might've been a better option for the UK than Canada?!
Back in the day before e-packets, it took about 30-45 days to arrive here.

I had one that took almost 4 months.
If e-packets continue to worsen, at least for Canadians, everyone will soon jump back on Singpost, so for now I will risk it.

FT has more of a handle on the best carriers to a particular country than their customers. Given the current situation,FT should be more proactive and temporarily remove problematic shipping options when purchasing.

Sounds easy from my keyboard.

#43 (permalink)      7/3/2019 1:47:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
desuede
  • JoinedOct 2015
  • Posts 1463
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1368
RussG wrote:

FT's staff try to help out when they can.
I recently ordered a smartphone with PostNL shipping. After a few days i received this message:

Would you mind changing the shipping way to registered airmail via Singapore Post in this order? There is a smartphone in this order, and the shipping way by Singapore Post may make the customs issues easier.

I understood what they were hinting at and was grateful for their initiative. :-)

Regarding not temporarily disabling problematic shipping options I have a theory.
I don't think it's advisable for Chinese companies to disadvantage their own national postal service whatever the problems may be.

#44 (permalink)      7/3/2019 7:54:11 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RussG
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 3398
  • Reviews 105
  • Kudos3793
desuede wrote:

RussG wrote:

FT's staff try to help out when they can.

I don't think it's advisable for Chinese companies to disadvantage their own national postal service whatever the problems may be.

I think at present it is Chinese customs that is disadvantaging China's ability to sell goods to the world. This mess must be costing Chinese businesses a fortune in re-sending packages, not to mention customers like me who are holding off placing an order.

#45 (permalink)      7/3/2019 8:27:27 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ironclad
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 23
  • Reviews 132
  • Kudos9
Two landed on my doorstep today, so it seems some things are moving but they were small packets, maybe that helped. Thankfully R.Mail tracking was ok but the tracking info from 17 & others got it totally wrong.
#46 (permalink)      7/3/2019 9:24:16 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
desuede
  • JoinedOct 2015
  • Posts 1463
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1368
RussG wrote:

I think at present it is Chinese customs that is disadvantaging China's ability to sell goods to the world.

Yes it is but it only affects the exporting air mail facilities: Beijing, Nanjing, Shanghai and so on. There most of the parcels are handled by China Post.

Shipments going to Hong Kong (ie SingPost) also cross a border but no issues there (so far).

This mess must be costing Chinese businesses a fortune in re-sending packages, not to mention customers like me who are holding off placing an order.

Of course it does and it exacerbates exporting Chinese vendors.
Unfortunately they can't do much about it but take the losses, wait and do damage control with their customers.

Edited on 7/5/2019 at 2:07 AM. Reason:
#47 (permalink)      7/3/2019 9:37:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RussG
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 3398
  • Reviews 105
  • Kudos3793
Bottom line is we as customers should not even be discussing the best way of getting our orders from China. FT should be doing this for us. The onus is on FT to deliver to customers, not for customers to find a way for our goods to be delivered.

Too late, going to my bed. Nighty night desuede
#48 (permalink)      7/4/2019 12:50:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
desuede
  • JoinedOct 2015
  • Posts 1463
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1368
I agree principally.
But it is impossible for FT staff to choose the optimal shipping method for all customers because all customers have their own preferences and local conditions to deal with.

Take us for instance. We might both be in the EU but have different wishes and needs.
You maybe want to go for the fastest and cheapest shipping method no matter how it's shipped.
I on my part want the lowest possible amount of parcels, no split shipments and the lowest possible amount on the customs declaration due to the customs regulations in my country.
#49 (permalink)      7/4/2019 3:31:27 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Johnnyace
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 264
  • Reviews 100
  • Kudos127
China ain't the place to be ordering from if you're in a hurry

With the recent debacle, all of my packages arrived eventually, yeah they took longer than the norm but they got here. The only pain in the ass was a couple got returned & had to be resent & all that

I've just made 3 small orders, shipped 3 different way, e-package, Sing Post, Free post so lets see the craic
#50 (permalink)      7/4/2019 3:58:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nezzy
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 645
  • Reviews 37
  • Kudos361
That will be interesting. I did something similar last sale, one UK e packet, one Sing Post, and one HK Post.

The e packet was returned to FT, and after a bit of a delay while we decided which service to use, they sent it again by e packet from a different place.

The HK package took 7-8 days to arrive. The Sing Post package with a battery in it took just less than 2 weeks. The second e packet went smoothly, but with the return and the delay in resending, it took just under 3 weeks from when I ordered. Not bad, all things considered.
#51 (permalink)      7/4/2019 8:01:22 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RussG
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 3398
  • Reviews 105
  • Kudos3793
Johnnyace wrote:

China ain't the place to be ordering from if you're in a hurry

With the recent debacle, all of my packages arrived eventually, yeah they took longer than the norm but they got here. The only pain in the ass was a couple got returned & had to be resent & all that

I've just made 3 small orders, shipped 3 different way, e-package, Sing Post, Free post so lets see the craic

Before the recent probs, for me typically 7 days to the UK for e-packet. Don't seem that long ago that most orders took best part of a month to arrive. So for me, FT have upped their game with carriers in the last few years.

Tracking has always been hit and miss. Many a time fogging the room out with my latest gear even though tracking says it is still in China.