Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Input & Output simultaneously?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      4/19/2013 11:51:40 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Trevtrain
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2013
  • Posts 33
  • Reviews 5
  • Kudos16
+1 details
Input & Output simultaneously?
Is this pack capable of being charged while charging other devices?
It may sound like a silly question, but my idea would be to put this device "between" a solar panel assembly and my iPad. I want it to charge the iPad (phone, AA charger, etc) while at the same time accepting solar energy.

Some boxes can apparently work this way but others say they cannot not.

If this one cannot, can you point me at one that can please?
#2 (permalink)      4/20/2013 1:56:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
PyTech
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2013
  • Posts 23
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos13
+2 details
Just tested this now, while the pack was charging my Galaxy S3 and Ipad at the same time,
i plugged the pack into my PC via USB cable and yes it does both. It charges the devices while charging the batteries inside at same time so the answer is yes.
#3 (permalink)      4/20/2013 8:20:36 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Trevtrain
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2013
  • Posts 33
  • Reviews 5
  • Kudos16
+2 details
Thanks PyTech.

The suspicious part of me would like to confirm this by having you running a load on it for a couple of hours while charging just to see if the charge level drops or is maintained relatively stably. That way we would know that is actually working the way it seems to be.
But I fully understand if you don't want to go to this much trouble.

I assume it has some method of showing charge level? A series of indicator lights? I guess this would be difficult to be sure of if the instructions are all in Chinese.

Thanks for your reply.
#4 (permalink)      4/21/2013 12:11:42 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
PyTech
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2013
  • Posts 23
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos13
+2 details
Yea, I know what you mean. Last night I charged both devices the phone and Ipad for a little over an hour while I had the box charging itself. There is a charging light that comes on while the box is charging. There are 4 green lights that tell you the status of the batteries' charge. At the beginning they were at 4 lights which means relatively fully charged, and at the end they were still at 4 lights so I'm guessing that meant they were charging the whole time. I only had 2 batteries in the box, so I think if it wasn't charging it would have dropped to 3 lights by then so I can pretty much verify that it does both input and output simultaneously.
#5 (permalink)      4/21/2013 11:24:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Trevtrain
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2013
  • Posts 33
  • Reviews 5
  • Kudos16
+2 details
Cheers PyTech

Thanks for confirming that. An hour charging an iPad (and phone too) should certainly knock the top off two 18650s if it wasn't also being fed from the PS so it sounds good.

Thanks again.
#6 (permalink)      4/21/2013 11:55:34 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
PyTech
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2013
  • Posts 23
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos13
+2 details
Your welcome. Hey if you do buy this box, remember that the cover slides off by pushing it downward. I pried mine apart, it didn't hurt it at all but I was feeling pretty stupid when I went to put it back on and it slid right together. lol
#7 (permalink)      5/5/2013 5:13:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
solarstorm
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2013
  • Posts 58
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos9
+2 details
PyTech, any chance you can full charge the power bank and measure the cells voltage please, to check if it stops charging at 4.2v
I wonder if I can use it as a power bank and as a cell charger.
Thanks
#8 (permalink)      5/7/2013 3:22:53 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
PyTech
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2013
  • Posts 23
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos13
+1 details
Yea that's a good idea, was curious myself. I'll post the results later tonight.
#9 (permalink)      5/8/2013 4:25:15 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
PyTech
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2013
  • Posts 23
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos13
+2 details
Ok, did a charge cycle, the light turns from red to green just like most other chargers do. I then removed the batteries and tested them on my DMM the cells were each at 4.17 volts. I put the batteries back inside and checked it couple hours later and got same results. It works fine as a charger. I use 4 matching cells pulled from a laptop battery pack in it. The batteries operate/charge in a parallel configuration.
#10 (permalink)      5/9/2013 12:19:16 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Trevtrain
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2013
  • Posts 33
  • Reviews 5
  • Kudos16
+1 details
Thanks for running these tests PyTech

Very good info to know.
#11 (permalink)      11/10/2014 4:18:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
adimw
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 5
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos1
Hi team,

Wondering if any owners can advise...

I'd like to use it as a booster battery on some dash cameras. But this would require it to immediately output power as soon as input power is connected, even from a discharged state.

So, the question is; does this auto power up once input power is applied, and also output power to devices?

I presume if input charge was 2amp and output was 1amp, it would leave roughly 1 amp to continue charging the batteries.

Cheers