Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Big improvement over Nitecore i2
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      7/5/2014 8:55:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Yet_another_dude
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 526
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos311
+1 details
Big improvement over Nitecore i2
Over time I've ended up with a few 18650s which the i2 would consider dead although I don't think I ever ran any of them all the way down the cliff.

When I received the D2 I reckoned I'd give the old buggers a go and lo behold, the D2 has dragged them all back among the (more or less) living!

Maybe my less-than-year-old i2 has simply grown old and weary, but the D2's superior smarts seem to make it worth the $6.21 price difference.

It'll be interesting to see if the D2 still performs a year on.
Yad
#2 (permalink)      7/9/2014 6:45:58 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Yet_another_dude
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 526
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos311
+3 details
UPDATE:

Of the five batteries that were considered out of circulation and started accepting current from the D2, three came back to 4.2V at full charge and work as backups (although undoubtably at capacity noticeably below new cells).

One only went as far as ~4.1V and I'll keep it apart as an emergency backup for SVD.

One was found to only charge intermittently, with the charger initially working at 3.9V for a while before resetting, working up the bars and then another while at 3.9V before another reset etc. It s-l-o-w-l-y went up to 4.05V over 24 hours before suddenly announcing itself to be full at 4.2V.

(I was only doing that as an experiment to see how far it goes and will see how that batt will discharge but I have no expectations)

INITIAL SUMMARY: I did get 3 (out of 5) batteries back to circulation, although I realize that these older cells need to be used carefully (i.e. not on the road)

It probably won't bring your exploded 10 year old cells back to as-new condition, but it seems to work as well as expected and seeing the current voltage and given charge (mA) at all times is really useful when determining the condition of the batteries. So hell yea, I totally prefer the D2 over the i2 which has now been relegated to backup duty.

Neither the D2 or any of the batteries became hot so far.

PS. I also noticed a minor usability issue with the self-resetting battery: despite the channels being supposedly independent, when the struggling battery resets (then resumes), it will also reset the D2's display logic! That is, if I have good battery charging in bay #2, when the bay #1 resets the display forgets I was watching the second bay (selected via the mode button) and it starts showing the bay #1 from then on. Only the rarest of experimenting idiots like yours truly will find this issue though. :^)
Yad