shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Definitive solution to avoiding dry hits - replace the bottom o-ring
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      12/25/2015 11:32:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AlexAlexAlex
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 49
  • Reviews 18
  • Kudos14
+5 details
Definitive solution to avoiding dry hits - replace the bottom o-ring
The following information is already scattered through the Lemo V2 discussions. I think it warrants its own thread because this solution works and fixes the root cause of the issue.

The solution to dry hits: replace the bottom o-ring seal with a thinner o-ring. The standard o-ring is too big/fat and blocks juice entering the channels.

I just looked through my box of spare parts and found an o-ring of similar diameter. It wasnt a perfect match (it was rounded instead of flat, about half as thick, and was a bit smaller diameter). My random o-ring worked fine with 85% VG juice. No dry hits and nice refilling bubbles.

If you dont have spare o-rings around, these are reported to work well: https://www.fasttech.com/p/2216500 .

edit: ShelaghStone reports the above rings were still not providing enough juice flow for him, and these worked better: https://www.fasttech.com/p/2191600

I think the glass on the tank plays a role here too - the glass is not cut perfectly flat on my tank. So different users may report success/failure with different o-rings. I'd suggest trying a variety of o-rings...most vapers will have dozens sitting around in their spare part boxes.

If you change the o-ring, you can stop worrying about over-tightening the tank.

An overtightened tank (with default o-rings) will create dry hits. The o-ring deforms and blocks the juice channels. If you google 'lemo v2 dry hits' you'll find plenty of forum posts where people suggest loosening the tank to make sure the juice channels arent blocked. This does work for some juices, but its a bit hit-and-miss, dependent on juice temperature and VG/PG ratios. Its a fine balancing act - too tight means dry hits. Too loose means leaking tank and puddle of juice. Not a great solution.

By replacing the o-ring, you can screw the tank down tight without impeding the juice flow. No leaks.

In my experience, coils and wicks are not the major contributer to dry hits - its the o-ring blocking the juice channels. Just keep the juice holes clear of your wicks.

Try this solution. It works.

Edited on 12/27/2015 at 3:44 AM. Reason: updated with info on another o-ring
#2 (permalink)      12/26/2015 1:39:34 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
flux_
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 679
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos335
+1 details
I abandoned my Lemo2 ages ago because of the dry hits. Had too many other tanks at the time to be arsed to research fixes. Looks like it's time to break it out again! Nice one
#3 (permalink)      12/26/2015 2:08:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
patrico1112
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 2138
  • Reviews 436
  • Kudos1961
+1 details
The other reason so many get dry hits is trying to vape above 30 watts with it. This tank works best around 25 watts. If you need 30+ watts get a tank that's actually made for it. Even the cthulhu v2 which wicks better in single coil mode than this does gets dry if you go too much over 30 watts.
#4 (permalink)      12/26/2015 2:31:42 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gabiano87
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 73
  • Reviews 169
  • Kudos53
+1 details
This tank is great guys. I guess we all have our different methods but I can get 35 to 40 beautifully and will never dry hit. Remember fat coils of at least 3mm. 3.5mm is better. The clapton wire from UD works well or you can make a smaller gauge of 28 gauge with 32 or 34. About 5 or 6 wraps. Biggest tip is make those tails fat old bunny tails, I mean as big as you can go without choking the coil. Dont trim them just wet it and make a huge ass wall of wick sitting in the whole deck up to the coil. When you look down all you will see is a mass of fibrous goodness all rich and creamy.

Next up put the glass back and top cap. You should have the juice hole open from when you first undo the tank. When you tighten hold top cap and the moment the juicy hole closes as you apply pressure when closing your done. Don't need to twist anymore....and thats it. Still use this tank even with all the new crius and aromammizer etc....maybe the serpent will give this a good run for the money !!
#5 (permalink)      12/26/2015 2:33:27 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gabiano87
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 73
  • Reviews 169
  • Kudos53
+1 details
oh by the way my onnly diy juice i make is at 80/20 vg pg. So it def can wick just fine.
#6 (permalink)      12/26/2015 6:10:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Puff_Cabby
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 7453
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos3894
+1 details
I'm about ready to quit on mine, it's as you say a dry hitter or a fuckin table swamp with nothing inbetween I'm afraid,

Tank was silk when it first came so I'm going to go out on a limb and say as time and use go by the whole thing stretches out and ain't in tolerance anymore resulting in the leaking especially, it don't like anything past 60/40 either imo.

Time to look for a new top fill champ I think.
#7 (permalink)      12/26/2015 7:51:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
flux_
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 679
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos335
+1 details
@puff_cabby Try the Crius. It is my best tank with the best top fill I've tried. Performance is ace.
#8 (permalink)      12/26/2015 8:24:45 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23171
+2 details
OP:

I have those o'rings u speak of and bought them because i too had read the reviews and people suggested that they work.
I took one look and put them aside.
They aren't wide enough.

I can't speak for dry hits as I had a perfect vape and I have purchased 5 Lemo 2's so I have had some experience with them, although as a lower wattage user rather than one above 40watts + so our experience could be different.

But the Kanger Subtank Mini authentic oRings fit perfectly and you can buy a bag here, as listed/shown below.

Mine provided me with 100% free leakage unless I forgot to close the AC at the bottom when refilling, which I have done several times. If not, no leakage at all until the o'rings become too old.
At which point, I found that the tank would start leaking once it got down just below that half way mark of juice. I just think that enough juice had leaked through the old o'rings at that point, it couldn't hold up.

I have switched 2 to these Kanger subtank rings in the last week and not only have they not leaked once, I even forgot to close the AC one time and I was shocked but it didn't leak then either. So far on both I have used about 5-6 tanks worth of juice and absolutely no leaking.

I didn't bother to try those no name ones as they are just thinner than the originals but they were all people thought we could buy.
Try the Kanger ones.

You will see I have a red one in mine. Doesn't show up at all once the tank is together, although there are black and clear in that K STM package

These Kanger STM o-rings fit the Lemo 100% perfectly

Edited on 12/26/2015 at 8:26 PM. Reason:
(*~*) Was bored to death.. RIP :)
#9 (permalink)      12/26/2015 8:27:52 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23171
+1 details
Meant to add, the downside is you won't get as many that will fit as only half the bag does, but if you own a STM, you can use the other rings with it
#10 (permalink)      12/26/2015 8:30:05 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23171
My experience suggests that this Lemo 2 tank is best for lower wattage users. Not for cloudz, etc.
I only use these at about 18watts - 30 at the very most, but more often between 18-22watts

Edited on 12/26/2015 at 8:31 PM. Reason:
#11 (permalink)      12/26/2015 8:44:21 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
patrico1112
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 2138
  • Reviews 436
  • Kudos1961
+1 details
Shelgah...I've been using those thin O-rings since I got my Lemo 2. They are thinner, but they do seal if you put them in right. They also do give you a little bit better juice flow. I only use one on the bottom.