[dismiss] FastTech will be on holiday from October 1, 2022 to October 7, 2022. All services resume on October 8, 2022, at 1:00 am (UTC). (details).
Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Metallic taste?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      3/9/2016 7:56:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
VapingDad
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 46
  • Reviews 7
  • Kudos15
Btw i was almost close enough to grab James Hatfield at the summer sanitarium tour with kid Rock and Korn at the old stadium the New England Patriots play
Family Guy- Louis says to Chris "I'm tired of having to literally empty the farts out of your pockets when I do the laundry."
#22 (permalink)      3/9/2016 8:09:01 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23172
mrfdk wrote:

that vapowire is still temco wire, right

Yes, it is.

On ebay you can find temco wire at very inexpensive prices.
I got the same metallic taste using it

Was it really Temco?
Maybe?
Or maybe a different compound.
No idea but many here on FT will swear up and down that the two are the same and I am merely suffering a psychosomatic reaction. :)

(*~*) Was bored to death.. RIP :)
#23 (permalink)      3/10/2016 1:13:02 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
mrfdk
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 1610
  • Reviews 54
  • Kudos1040
ShelaghStone wrote:

mrfdk wrote:
that vapowire is still temco wire, right

Yes, it is.

On ebay you can find temco wire at very inexpensive prices.
I got the same metallic taste using it

Was it really Temco?
Maybe?
Or maybe a different compound.
No idea but many here on FT will swear up and down that the two are the same and I am merely suffering a psychosomatic reaction. :)

Hey shelagh it was not to say anything about you, it is just that it it is written in a lot of ecig stores, that it is rebranded temco. Have a nice day. If you belive in something, stay that way

Stay positive
#24 (permalink)      3/10/2016 1:44:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Seanchai
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 396
  • Reviews 46
  • Kudos541
(Fair warning: This will be a long post, but hopefully helpful to some.)

I'm allergic to nickel (diagnosed by an allergist and all that), but when the NI200 craze hit, I got enough off a friend to try out a build, hoping that said allergy might just be a contact allergy. I absolutely could not vape it - took two hits, got vapor that tasted of nothing but metal, and ended up diving for my inhaler. Immediately ripped the build out and washed everything just in case. My breathing didn't return to normal for the better part of a week.

Stainless steel contains nickel, so I was prepared for the same result when I decided to try again with SS. I bought US made 316L SS to try to minimise any chances of substandard/mislabled alloys, cleaned the wire before use, etc. Then I threw a fairly high resistance build (about .8) in a tank.

I definitely had a small reaction to it - tight chest, very sharp metallic taste. It was *not* enjoyable in the least... but I was encouraged by the fact that I wasn't having a *violent* reaction, and it didn't cause lingering respiratory symptoms the way the nickel build did; as soon as I switched over to a kanthal setup, the tight chest feeling went away. I kept the SS setup at hand and vaped it for no more than a few drags at a time, for no more than a few minutes total per day. The rest of the time I used regular kanthal builds.

After a week, I could vape the SS build without getting that tight chest reaction, and the metallic taste was gone. I now vape SS builds more often than kanthal builds, with no ill effects. I happened to have an appointment with my pulmonologist this week (about a month and a half in to vaping SS regularly) and my pulmonary function tests came back at ~98% of normal, i.e. the same as they've been since I quit smoking and started vaping... empirical proof that SS isn't causing me any pulmonary symptoms that can be measured, at least.

Based on that experience, I suspect that for *some* people, that metallic taste may be a sign of nickel allergy - mild or otherwise. If it doesn't cause you any major discomfort, and you're comfortable with the notion of exposure therapy, and you want to vape in temp control badly enough, it may be worth trying what I did. If it *is* causing discomfort, or you're not comfortable with how to safely manage exposure therapy, or temp control isn't that big of a deal for you, that metallic taste may be a sign to stick to kanthal and power mode.

Edited on 3/10/2016 at 1:46 AM. Reason:
#25 (permalink)      3/19/2016 11:30:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
speedycihan
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 4
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos0
İf you getting shit taste that is your own fault or your mod not good for it. It's been 2 months no problem at all. TC or WM so good wire no need to buy Temco or some expensive stuff. My mod is eleaf TC 100w btw.

Don't use nickel imo
#26 (permalink)      3/20/2016 12:07:45 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23172
+1 details
speedycihan wrote:

İf you getting shit taste that is your own fault or your mod not good for it. It's been 2 months no problem at all. TC or WM so good wire no need to buy Temco or some expensive stuff. My mod is eleaf TC 100w btw.

Don't use nickel imo

Bullshit!
I get so tired of hearing that crap.

I know how to rebuild.
I haven't any issues with certain wires but do with others.

A new rebuilder, I can understand might not be building as well as he will later on and might incur some taste due to poor builds,
but that's not the issue for me.

I have 7 TC mods running at all times, each with an atty on top, all different coils.
Keep your bullshit to yourself.

(*~*) Was bored to death.. RIP :)
#27 (permalink)      3/20/2016 12:45:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
MitchL
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 3962
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos2482
+1 details
If you are sensitive to nickle Titanium is a good choice for TC. It has always worked for me :)

Note: Don't overheat Stainless steel. Nickle and Chromium are toxic.
#28 (permalink)      3/20/2016 12:51:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Hartoled
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 13576
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos10972
+2 details
I use some Swedish 316L from Kidney P. I use some jewelry grade Titanium 1. Neither give me any taste but yummy.
KF4 Leaking? For a more secure seal, replace the o-ring #16 with one that is 1.5mm cross section. SKU 1536606 or SKU 1536607
#29 (permalink)      3/20/2016 1:09:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
FoxVape
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 5053
  • Reviews 132
  • Kudos5596
Lajszi wrote:

every time when i build something new i always get a strong metallic taste to my vape
...how do you get rid of it?

short pulse your coil at low watts a few times before you wick will remove the metallic taste.

Edited on 3/20/2016 at 1:25 AM. Reason:
Two wolves fight within us. One is evil, one is good. The one that wins is the one we feed.
#30 (permalink)      3/20/2016 1:10:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Hartoled
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 13576
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos10972
Didn't people used to complain that they missed the Kanthal taste when switching to other metals?

Vapers certainly are picky about every little bit of shit.
KF4 Leaking? For a more secure seal, replace the o-ring #16 with one that is 1.5mm cross section. SKU 1536606 or SKU 1536607
#31 (permalink)      3/26/2016 9:54:02 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
K3rritt
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos18
Garbage wire Bro- buy beadalon or run this if you have a DNA http://www.filedropper.com/udss316ltcprofiles