shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Suitable for polishing?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.
Thread Tools Rate This Thread


Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      11/21/2018 11:50:02 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
blomme
Member
  • JoinedSep 2017
  • Posts 40
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos24
+1 details
Mine looks like it's chrome plated or something. Might get a nasty surprise if you start sanding it.
#12 (permalink)      11/21/2018 11:56:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
Member
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42155
It might be similar to the stainless silver Pico. That looks like it has some plating or something too.


Is it reasonable quality? If it isn't I can get the plain black one which is cheaper elsewhere.
#13 (permalink)      11/21/2018 12:10:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TwoNutNick
Member
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 130
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
Post deleted by mod (Anniepan) on grounds of: Spam
#14 (permalink)      11/22/2018 12:19:35 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
GramDogg
Member
  • JoinedOct 2016
  • Posts 2078
  • Reviews 86
  • Kudos555
+1 details
This is the one I have, I have the Pico as well. To compare if the Pico was brushed with 80 grit this was done with 200 grit. Almost a polished SS finish already though the color is slightly different then SS. Chrome plated sounds right, it is the same as the "platnum" subox mini which you sure as hell know ain't made of platnum lol.
#15 (permalink)      11/22/2018 12:27:35 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
Member
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42155
Gaagh, if it's plated I might just go with a black one. I don't like the SS Pico for the same reason. It looks weird with an actual SS tank on it.

Edit:

I got a black one instead.

Edited on 11/22/2018 at 12:34 AM. Reason:
#16 (permalink)      11/22/2018 4:47:01 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
Wylie
Member
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5150
  • Reviews 77
  • Kudos3356
+1 details
I seriously doubt its solid stainless, more likely coated zinc that looks stainless.

Edit: If you look at the interior of the battery door on the black version it really looks to be cast, no incremented machining marks, and the area next to the magnets would take an extremely long woodruff cutter to mill so by way deflection there would very likely be milling marks. EDM, I don't think so.

Besides the weight just looks too low.

Edited on 11/22/2018 at 4:56 AM. Reason:
Always keep your ear to the ground!
#17 (permalink)      11/22/2018 2:51:58 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
blomme
Member
  • JoinedSep 2017
  • Posts 40
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos24
GramDogg wrote:

This is the one I have, I have the Pico as well. To compare if the Pico was brushed with 80 grit this was done with 200 grit. Almost a polished SS finish already though the color is slightly different then SS. Chrome plated sounds right, it is the same as the "platnum" subox mini which you sure as hell know ain't made of platnum lol.


It might just be clear coated, actually, I can't tell.
It definitely looks different to my Kbox Platinum, which looks more raw and "stainlessy". Also looks cheaper than the Platinum.

#18 (permalink)      11/22/2018 4:29:07 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
GramDogg
Member
  • JoinedOct 2016
  • Posts 2078
  • Reviews 86
  • Kudos555
blomme wrote:

GramDogg wrote:
This is the one I have, I have the Pico as well. To compare if the Pico was brushed with 80 grit this was done with 200 grit. Almost a polished SS finish already though the color is slightly different then SS. Chrome plated sounds right, it is the same as the "platnum" subox mini which you sure as hell know ain't made of platnum lol.
It might just be clear coated, actually, I can't tell.
It definitely looks different to my Kbox Platinum, which looks more raw and "stainlessy". Also looks cheaper than the Platinum.


Do you own them both? Its identical except the board is in a few mm more shallow in the front. Don't go by photos here, they are always bad for some reason. Go to the reviews photos from people if they have any. I almost got a silver Pico here that looked white in FT photos and didn't realise how much glitter is on it till I seen reviewer photos. Other stuff looks nice but reviewer photos show how ugly they are in real life too.

#19 (permalink)      11/22/2018 4:42:17 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
GramDogg
Member
  • JoinedOct 2016
  • Posts 2078
  • Reviews 86
  • Kudos555
The door is identical, even the tiny cheap plastic buttons are the same. Basically just made new better bodies for old chips they had left over from 3 years ago and made these with a $1 tank for $30. Sadly I see B&M shops that still have the originals at full price or close to it. Don't even use this tank just sell the coil or tank for $1... get $2 back.
#20 (permalink)      11/23/2018 2:25:03 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
Member
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42155
I didn't like the SS finish on the Pico. It looks yellowish compared to the "whiteness" of stainless steel. The body of it.

The warm and cool tints don't go well together.
#21 (permalink)      11/23/2018 8:30:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
blomme
Member
  • JoinedSep 2017
  • Posts 40
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos24
+2 details
GramDogg wrote:

Do you own them both? Its identical except the board is in a few mm more shallow in the front. Don't go by photos here, they are always bad for some reason. Go to the reviews photos from people if they have any.


I have the Mini-C kit from here and a KBox Platinum (not from a Subox kit) I got from somewhere else, I forget where. The finish on the KBox definitely looks better in my eyes, more like proper brushed steel compared to the shinier, wet looking Mini-C mod.

Edit: Just realised we're probably talking about different things. Mine is the stand-alone KBox Platinum 60W with the metal buttons, which looks very similar to the old Topbox kit mod (75W).


Edited on 11/23/2018 at 8:35 AM. Reason: