shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

This is Merlin
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      3/28/2017 6:10:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
Hi pktech,
my post was more adressed to the titty suckers. I didn´t think you are one :-)
It´s just that sometimes I´m not sure, as you write at one time that you don´t like a draw which is too tight and at another it´s sounds quite opposite.
So yeah - there is hope :-)

I also have the Griffin and what I can tell is that the Ammit is more restricted. I really like the airflow on the Ammit!

The special thing with the Ammit is that it seems to taste better if the AFC is almost or fully open.
For me that is fine, as that is just the way I like it.

On the Ammit the AFC has this click mechanism with 5 positions.
1 is closed and 5 fully open. I use position 4 and I´m fine.

What is annoying me a bit is that my second Ammit doesn´t work the way it should.
The replacement glass which fits my first one is a bit too small for the other one somehow.

It fits, but if I want to close the LC by turning the tank clockwise it´s only the glass which moves - not the LC. The LC on the second one is almost impossible to move.

That is a known problem - some people report that the LC doesn´t move and others report that it´s too loose. Also the second one I got is leaking from the AFC ring.

Solution for this is to disassemble the press-fitted base, change the o-ring on it plus lube it and press it together again. Shit!

Next trouble is that the glass needs some pressure so that it doesn´t move when you turn the tank to open/close the LC.
The problem with that is that the threads of the chimney are much too short to fix this issue.

If the Ammit wouldn´t have this amazing taste I would say it´s crap by now.
That´s why I´m into the supreme lite now - see the forum discussions there.
I doubt that you will like the airflow on the supreme lite - but there is hope!

If you read the discussions on the supreme lite I wrote there that Steam Crace might come out with a single coil supreme lite with a similar build deck of the Ammit/Merlin.

I hope they bring it on - it will kick ass!

Edited on 3/28/2017 at 6:22 AM. Reason:
#12 (permalink)      3/28/2017 2:37:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pktech
  • JoinedDec 2015
  • Posts 150
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos23
Taifix wrote:

Hi pktech,my post was more adressed to the titty suckers. I didn´t think you are one :-)It´s just that sometimes I´m not sure, as you write at one time that you don´t like a draw which is too tight and at another it´s sounds quite opposite. So yeah - there is hope :-)I also have the Griffin and what I can tell is that the Ammit is more restricted. I really like the airflow on the Ammit!The special thing with the Ammit is that it seems to taste better if the AFC is almost or fully open.For me that is fine, as that is just the way I like it.On the Ammit the AFC has this click mechanism with 5 positions.1 is closed and 5 fully open. I use position 4 and I´m fine.What is annoying me a bit is that my second Ammit doesn´t work the way it should.The replacement glass which fits my first one is a bit too small for the other one somehow. It fits, but if I want to close the LC by turning the tank clockwise it´s only the glass which moves - not the LC. The LC on the second one is almost impossible to move.That is a known problem - some people report that the LC doesn´t move and others report that it´s too loose. Also the second one I got is leaking from the AFC ring.Solution for this is to disassemble the press-fitted base, change the o-ring on it plus lube it and press it together again. Shit!Next trouble is that the glass needs some pressure so that it doesn´t move when you turn the tank to open/close the LC.The problem with that is that the threads of the chimney are much too short to fix this issue.If the Ammit wouldn´t have this amazing taste I would say it´s crap by now.That´s why I´m into the supreme lite now - see the forum discussions there.I doubt that you will like the airflow on the supreme lite - but there is hope!If you read the discussions on the supreme lite I wrote there that Steam Crace might come out with a single coil supreme lite with a similar build deck of the Ammit/Merlin.I hope they bring it on - it will kick ass!

ok, with all that said, I guess I'll pull the trigger on the Ammit and blame you if the I find the air flow to be too much. ;) (and I am again honored that you find that you feel there is hope for me) lol

I don't get the deal with the glass tanks not fitting each other. That makes zero sense!

I've heard great things about Steam Crave, but the v2 seemed like a serious disappointment, so I didn't get it. I agree that a single coil version would be a great idea. I'm currently checking out Oumier's single coil attys. The one looks like a Serpent Mini, the other one is kinda funky looking, but the coils look like they'd have to be seriously small. I haven't found much written up about them, so I'm gonna have to hit video reviews before I make a decision on either of them.

#13 (permalink)      3/28/2017 3:06:16 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
You mean the Magic Winds?

Well besides that I don´t like buying something frensh I will check out this one in about a week when I´m in Berlin.
I didn´t buy it myself as I think 2ml tank capacity is ridiculous. I want a normal tank with enough capacity for one day.

Many people say it´s no problem to refill, but I just can´t be bothered.
#14 (permalink)      3/29/2017 10:45:42 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pktech
  • JoinedDec 2015
  • Posts 150
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos23
Taifix wrote:

You mean the Magic Winds?

Well besides that I don´t like buying something frensh I will check out this one in about a week when I´m in Berlin.
I didn´t buy it myself as I think 2ml tank capacity is ridiculous. I want a normal tank with enough capacity for one day.

Many people say it´s no problem to refill, but I just can´t be bothered.

They've got 2 different single coil tanks, Magic Winds and White Bone Mini. The White Bone "full size" is 2.5 ml with a dual coil velocity deck. wtf? I just got the Ammit and the Fuji Son. I opted against the Fuji single coil version. Both look very Serpent Mini to me.

I did have a few questions regarding using Stainless Steel Mesh to close the airflow. I've forgotten, should it be put in the chimney or in the airflow below the coil? Does it need to be prepared in any way, like when people use it for wicking? Also, should it be rolled up or just used to line the area in question?

Thanks tons for your help. I got them both in black. I hope they don't peel like the Serpent Mini did. (damn that atty to hell!) I just got the Wismec Predator in Silver, which is very matte, so Stainless Steel tanks don't look right on it. I had gotten an Alien, but it was all fucked up so I had to send it back. By the time the RMA process was over with, the Predator came out. I'm glad it took so long, 'cause I prefer the uncluttered screen of the Predator. It's my first non-mini mod. I don't need the wattage since I mostly use single coils attys, but since attys keep increasing in diameter I needed a larger mod.

#15 (permalink)      3/29/2017 2:20:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
I don´t buy anything anymore which is just a compromise. I want a pure single coil tank with a 3d airflow and good tank capacity. All this in high quality like the supreme lite!

And I want it fast, as the marked is changing with the TPD here in Europe!
It would be best to sell this from a warehouse in the UK I think.

I also like that the Ammit comes with 2 normal screws and nice stable posts at the side of the build-deck. With airflow underneath and from the side it gives tons of flavour!!!!
I´m tired of velocity post screws which break so easy.

I hope the manufacturers see that this is the way to go and that there is a market for it.
But I want quality and no garbage anymore. And I´m willing to pay for it!
Make it expensive but make it well!
My only hope is Steam Crave....

The Wismec Predator looks nice - does it fit with 25mm attys? I just got the Smoant Battlestar lately and it´s good.

About the Mesh:
I ordered Mesh 400 from here (65x62mm). I foldet that 3 times (don´t cut it) so that I got one stripe.
This one needs to be rolled around something and you just put it in the chimney.
You can use a bit more or less Mesh depending on what draw and diameter you prefer.
Roll it welland make sure that it´s springy enough to get good hold inside the chimney (it shouln´d be too loose).

Make sure it doesn´t get in touch with the coil or or the posts (no shortcut!).
If that is not good enough you can also use Mesh in the air-hole underneath the coil (depending on the atty that is possible or not).
Wash the Mesh before you use it with soap. Don´t burn it (it get´s rusty from burning it after some time).

Good luck!

P.S.: Mesh is not a perfect solution, as it has an influence on taste.
Ceramic would be better. It´s possible to do that, but it´s a lot of work.

Edited on 3/29/2017 at 2:41 PM. Reason:
#16 (permalink)      3/29/2017 4:00:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pktech
  • JoinedDec 2015
  • Posts 150
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos23
Taifix wrote:

I don´t buy anything anymore which is just a compromise. I want a pure single coil tank with a 3d airflow and good tank capacity. All this in high quality like the supreme lite! And I want it fast, as the marked is changing with the TPD here in Europe! I think. I also like that the Ammit comes with 2 normal screws and nice stable posts at the side of the build-deck. With airflow underneath and from the side it gives tons of flavour!!!! I´m tired of velocity post screws which break so easy.
I hope the manufacturers see that this is the way to go and that there is a market for it. But I want quality and no garbage anymore. And I´m willing to pay for it! Make it expensive but make it well! My only hope is Steam Crave....The Wismec Predator looks nice - does it fit with 25mm attys? I just got the Smoant Battlestar lately and it´s good.
About the Mesh: I ordered Mesh 400 from here (65x62mm). I foldet that 3 times (don´t cut it) so that I got one stripe. This one needs to be rolled around something and you just put it in the chimney. You can use a bit more or less Mesh depending on what draw and diameter you prefer. Roll it well and make sure that it´s springy enough to get good hold inside the chimney (it shouldn't be too loose). Make sure it doesn´t get in touch with the coil or the posts (no shortcut!). If that is not good enough you can also use Mesh in the air-hole underneath the coil (depending on the atty that is possible or not). Wash the Mesh before you use it with soap. Don´t burn it (it gets rusty from burning it after some time). Good luck! P.S.: Mesh is not a perfect solution, as it has an influence on taste. Ceramic would be better. It´s possible to do that, but it´s a lot of work.

I'm in the U.S., so TPD isn't an issue. The iJoy EXO RTA has the same single coil deck as the Ammit. I wish I'd never gotten it. I hope to sell it on Reddit, or something. I've not seen any other attys with airflow like the Ammit. You keep mentioning the Steam Crave lite. Is it worth checking out?

The Wismec Predator will definitely handle a 25mm atty. I saw a comparison video showing the Predator handling larger attys than the Alien, which I don't understand since their dimensions are nearly the same. I think the Predator will handle up to a 30mm atty with only a VERY slight overhang.

I got the same mesh that I saw you'd reviewed. What am I supposed to wrap it around? Or do you mean to do that just for the form? How badly would you say it affects the taste? Why would people use it for wicking if it has an effect on the flavor? How would I use ceramic? I only know about ceramic blocks. I've got a Dremel kit, so can do all sorts of things with it. I mostly use it for buffing and sanding, but I've got attachments for just about everything.

btw, is there any reason why I shouldn't cut the Mesh?

#17 (permalink)      3/29/2017 4:57:26 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
Hello,
...so many questions....

I thought you had something similar going on in the US when what we´ve got here with the TPD?

Anyway - yes the Exo is very similar, but with 26mm out of discussion for me.
I will not walk around with anything taller than 25mm. I prefer 23mm, but could also live with 25mm if it´s something good.

That is why I like the Supreme Lite so much. I think it´s worth buying one of them! It brings you to higher levels :-)
It´s not perfect, but it gives a good idea of what "perfect could be if you put the Supreme Lite together with the Ammit.

I hope to see this in the near future!

"What am I supposed to wrap it around?"
Well, just something round like a piece of plastic or a pen. It´s just to give it the right form. You can also do it by hand, but it´s easier with something to wrap around.

How badly would you say it affects the taste?
I didn´t wash my Mesh (just testet the airflow with it), so it´s hard to say, but uncleaned minimum 50% less taste.
Taste was harsh and metallish - not nice. Hard throat hit.

"Why would people use it for wicking if it has an effect on the flavor?"
It makes a big difference if it´s wet and transports liquid or if it´s in your chimney.
Some people can even taste differences with different steel qualitys on drip tips - so Mesh is really not the way to go. But it´s good for testing and finding out what draw you prefer.

"How would I use ceramic?"
After playing with the Mesh you should know how much tighter you want the chimney for to be confortable with it.
Then you order some ceramic blocks and make them fit inside your chimney and drill a hole into it.
That would be the cleanest way....but it will take you many days.
Some people use POM for this, but I don´t recommend it.

I made some test with dooming the chamber of the Flash E-Vapor and bought some FIMO. That stuff is amazing!
You bring it into form and put it in the oven. Afterwards it´s hard like a stone:

With this I´m testing my setups before I rebuild them with ceramic.

Mayby you could also just keep the FIMO, but I really have no idea if that is healthy.
What I can say is that the taste is much much better than with Mesh and that it´s very easy and fast to do.

If you have a dremel you have everything you need for both - FIMO and Ceramic.
BUT to get ceramic into the right form will be a hard and long way....

"btw, is there any reason why I shouldn't cut the Mesh?"
That is just so much easier! When you cut layers and put them above eachother the roll you want won´t keep it´s form, as the layers will move.

P.S.: I don´t know if this helps anyone, but that´s just the way I do it :-)
This stuff is also very usefull if you want to repair something which needs to be stable.

Edited on 3/30/2017 at 11:32 AM. Reason:
#18 (permalink)      3/29/2017 11:25:34 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pktech
  • JoinedDec 2015
  • Posts 150
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos23
+1 details
Taifix wrote:

Hello,...so many questions....I thought you had something similar going on in the US when what we´ve got here with the TPD?
"How would I use ceramic?"After playing with the Mesh you should know how much tighter you want the chimney for to be comfortable with it. Then you order some ceramic blocks and make them fit inside your chimney and drill a hole into it. That would be the cleanest way....but it will take you many days. Some people use POM for this, but I don´t recommend it. I made some test with dooming the chamber of the Flash E-Vapor and bought some FIMO. That stuff is amazing! You bring it into form and put it in the oven. Afterward it´s hard like a stone: With this I´m testing my setups before I rebuild them with ceramic. Maybe you could also just keep the FIMO, but I really have no idea if that is healthy. What I can say is that the taste is much much better than with Mesh and that it´s very easy and fast to do. If you have a Dremel you have everything you need for both - FIMO and Ceramic. BUT to get ceramic into the right form will be a hard and long way....
"btw, is there any reason why I shouldn't cut the Mesh? "That is just so much easier! When you cut layers and put them above each other the roll you want won´t keep it´s form, as the layers will move. P.S.: I don´t know if this helps anyone, but that´s just the way I do it :-) This stuff is also very useful if you want to repair something which needs to be stable.

Nope, no TPD over here, thankfully!

Why wouldn't you recommend POM? I asked about cutting mesh not in order to create layers, but for sizing. I didn't know if some sort of hazard would be caused. Ceramic definitely sounds the way to go after first testing with Mesh.

And GAH!!! in regards to using Fimo or any other sort of Polymer Clay!!! Fimo/Polymer Clay can release toxic fumes when it reaches certain temperatures. It's also not supposed to touch any surface that will also come into contact with food, drinks, etc. For example, if you were to cover the outside of a coffee mug with Fimo/Polymer Clay, you'd have to leave a lip of uncovered area where your mouth would touch. Never use any items to prep Fimo/Polymer Clay that will later be used for food. Also, you have to clean out the interior of your over after curing. (I've worked with Polymer clay for years, using many brands, and the rules are the same). I know the cure temperature is approximately 275F, and I honestly have no idea what the chimney temperature reaches, but the thought of any of it crumbling and getting into my liquid -- ick!! That is SOO not safe!

Hell, I've pretty much forgotten everything I asked after reading the bit about Fimo.

Vape safe, Taifix, and stay the hell away from that stuff and go back to ceramic!

#19 (permalink)      3/30/2017 12:30:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
Good informations here from you - thank you! Kudos to you!

No worrys, I stay safe. As I wrote I only use Fimo for testing how I want to build something with ceramic.
I only take a short vape without breathing in and afterwards I properly wash and gurgle the shit out.
I thought this stuff was more kind of oil based, but Polymer is also that if I remember correctly.

Afterwards I always clean and brush everything with alcohol.

By the way - I lately threw away all my plastic cups which I bought from Ikea :-)
I used to put them in the dish washer. Now I only use glass or something like that, but no more plastic.
All my drinks are in glass bottles - also all liquids and nicotin bases.

Edited on 3/30/2017 at 12:31 AM. Reason:
#20 (permalink)      3/30/2017 6:58:52 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pktech
  • JoinedDec 2015
  • Posts 150
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos23
Taifix wrote:

Good information here from you - thank you! Kudos to you!
No worries, I stay safe. As I wrote I only use Fimo for testing how I want to build something with ceramic.
I only take a short vape without breathing in and afterward I properly wash and gurgle the shit out.
I thought this stuff was more kind of oil based, but Polymer is also that if I remember correctly.

Afterward I always clean and brush everything with alcohol.
By the way - I lately threw away all my plastic cups which I bought from Ikea :-)
I used to put them in the dish washer. Now I only use glass or something like that, but no more plastic.
All my drinks are in glass bottles - also all liquids and nicotine bases.

Polymer Clay (total misnomer) is polymer resins, plasticizers, and coloring agents. No clay involved. So you never cured it? I thought you'd said that you had. I wanted to make sure that anything you used to prepare Fimo you didn't later use for food preparation (knives, cutting board, etc.). When curing Polymer Clay I always covered my baking sheet with parchment paper so I wouldn't have to buy a second one. (It was a cheap way of getting around part of that rule). ;)

btw, plastic cups should be fine as long as they're BPA-free. BPA is the stuff that leaches into food/liquids. Most plastic used for food consumption will list whether it's BPA-free or not.

As for Nicotine and eliquid, I'd stick with amber glass or LDPE plastic.

So, where do I get ceramic other than the ceramic blocks for the Avocado RDTA? My Dremel is prepped and waiting! ;)

#21 (permalink)      3/30/2017 11:32:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
+1 details
"So you never cured it?" "I always covered my baking sheet with parchment paper...."

Does "cured" mean if I put it in the oven to get hard? Yes, I did.
For the chimney I roll some Fimo and usually put a 5mm nail inside which I later pull out. Around the Fimo I put some baking paper, so that I can easily get it out of the chimney again.

So basicly it´s about rolling the Fimo inside the paper until it fits in the chimney.
The challenge is to keep the nail in the middle...

Maybe better to move the Fimo pics from here....

P.S: You find ceramic blocks in many different sizes on Ali. I just asked my dentist :-)
As this is so much work I don´t do it anymore, but it might be an option for some people.
For single coil I prefer a chimney diameter around 5 mm and it´s of course the best if the atty comes like that from the factory.

Another (and probably easier) way to reduce the chimney is to sand down a metall drip tip which has the right diameter and put it inside the chimney.

Edited on 3/30/2017 at 9:48 PM. Reason: