shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

This is Merlin
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      3/30/2017 11:32:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
+1 details
"So you never cured it?" "I always covered my baking sheet with parchment paper...."

Does "cured" mean if I put it in the oven to get hard? Yes, I did.
For the chimney I roll some Fimo and usually put a 5mm nail inside which I later pull out. Around the Fimo I put some baking paper, so that I can easily get it out of the chimney again.

So basicly it´s about rolling the Fimo inside the paper until it fits in the chimney.
The challenge is to keep the nail in the middle...

Maybe better to move the Fimo pics from here....

P.S: You find ceramic blocks in many different sizes on Ali. I just asked my dentist :-)
As this is so much work I don´t do it anymore, but it might be an option for some people.
For single coil I prefer a chimney diameter around 5 mm and it´s of course the best if the atty comes like that from the factory.

Another (and probably easier) way to reduce the chimney is to sand down a metall drip tip which has the right diameter and put it inside the chimney.

Edited on 3/30/2017 at 9:48 PM. Reason:
#22 (permalink)      3/30/2017 12:31:39 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
Puh - I think I made it much to complicated in the past :-)
By writing here I got a new idea and that is done in 10 minutes - here a quick chimney diameter reduction on the supreme lite:

That is probably a bit too tight for me with 3mm, so I will try with 4mm.

Update: I drilled it up to 4,5mm and filed the rest to 5mm. The Ammit has 5,5mm.

Will check out later.

Edited on 3/30/2017 at 1:17 PM. Reason:
#23 (permalink)      3/30/2017 9:54:58 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
Update: After trying different diameters I took another piece of metall which has also 5,5mm in diameter like the Ammit.

I´ve been vaping with that the last hours on the supreme lite and it´s good!
As I use the supreme lite in single coil mode with the ceramic block the airflow is a bit more restricted than on the Ammit fully open. But as I prefer the Ammit with AFC in position 4 of 5 it´s very close to this.

The draw feels much more comfortable now and the harsh taste and throat hit Which I had before is gone. So I think it´s worth a try on attys which you think are too airy.

Edited on 3/30/2017 at 9:56 PM. Reason:
#24 (permalink)      3/31/2017 1:45:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pktech
  • JoinedDec 2015
  • Posts 148
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos23
Taifix wrote:

Update: After trying different diameters I took another piece of metal which has also 5,5mm in diameter like the Ammit.
I´ve been vaping with that the last hours on the supreme lite and it´s good! As I use the supreme lite in single coil mode with the ceramic block the airflow is a bit more restricted than on the Ammit fully open. But as I prefer the Ammit with AFC in position 4 of 5 it´s very close to this.
The draw feels much more comfortable now and the harsh taste and throat hit Which I had before is gone. So I think it´s worth a try on attys which you think are too airy.

So, in the pic two posts above, did you do that with a drip tip or a thick piece of metal pipe?

Since you said you cured the Fimo in your oven, the safest thing to do is clean your entire oven before cooking food in it.

Thanks as always for the helpful tips! I have some diamond drill bits that'd be great for drilling out drip tips, not sure about what to do with their outside diameters, though. :/

#25 (permalink)      3/31/2017 2:36:45 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
In the picture above I used an aluminium drip tip with one layer of mesh around it to keep it in place, but it was not possible to drill it to 5,5mm. Also I didn´t like the Mesh around it.
So I was thinking about what else I could use and I found something from Ikea in the kitchen :-)

I thought it´s aluminium, but it´s steel and it has the right diameter.
I cut of a piece and put it in the drill to sand down the outside with sandpaper.
I only needed to take of very little to make it fit and it works very well.
Of course you need to clean it properly before you use it.

Thanks for the tip with the oven. I was reading a bit about Fimo and the informations about it are quite opposite.
Some say it´s like poison while others say no worries.
But I think you are probably right with what you are saying that it´s not a good idea to put it in the oven.
Would be interesting to know if this stuff is trustworthy when it´s hard?

Edited on 3/31/2017 at 2:37 AM. Reason:
#26 (permalink)      3/31/2017 9:07:38 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pktech
  • JoinedDec 2015
  • Posts 148
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos23
Taifix wrote:

In the picture above I used an aluminium drip tip with one layer of mesh around it to keep it in place, but it was not possible to drill it to 5,5mm. Also I didn´t like the Mesh around it.
So I was thinking about what else I could use and I found something from Ikea in the kitchen :-)
I thought it´s aluminium, but it´s steel and it has the right diameter.
I cut of a piece and put it in the drill to sand down the outside with sandpaper.
I only needed to take of very little to make it fit and it works very well.
Of course you need to clean it properly before you use it.
Thanks for the tip with the oven. I was reading a bit about Fimo and the informations about it are quite opposite.
Some say it´s like poison while others say no worries.
But I think you are probably right with what you are saying that it´s not a good idea to put it in the oven.
Would be interesting to know if this stuff is trustworthy when it´s hard?

What kind of drill are you using? Would a Dremel suffice? (I think most of my drip tips are SS or POM).

As for Fimo, it IS safe, but since it gives off fumes when curing, you have to clean your oven after you cure it before you use it to cook food. Fimo and other Polymer Clays are listed as child-safe (provided the little ankle-biters don't eat it). ;) Personally, I wouldn't trust it in an atty, as it might flake. (I always used a sealant of some kind). I definitely wouldn't want to inhale it. Like I said before in the example of the Fimo-covered coffee mug, you have to leave an area free of Fimo/Polymer Clay where your lips come into contact with the mug. That's why any materials used to work on Fimo aren't also used to prepare food. It's totally safe to cure in the oven, but since I was always too lazy to clean my oven each time I cured my Polymer Clay I got a separate Toaster Oven for my Polymer Clay projects. :P

#27 (permalink)      3/31/2017 9:41:58 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
For this kind of drilling I use a normal drill with more power.

Wow - you have a seperate toaster oven for Polymer Clay project? What kind off stuff do you make with it?
Sounds interesting...
#28 (permalink)      3/31/2017 6:15:53 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pktech
  • JoinedDec 2015
  • Posts 148
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos23
Taifix wrote:

For this kind of drilling I use a normal drill with more power.

Wow - you have a separate toaster oven for Polymer Clay project? What kind of stuff do you make with it?
Sounds interesting...

Unfortunately, both battery packs for my drill are dead and it's an outdated model so I can't get replacements for it. :(

I mostly covered items, from pens to photo frames to vases. I haven't done it in a long time as my current apartment doesn't have the space I need to work. I've done some beads, but that's really not my thing. I'm more into semi-precious stones when I make jewelry, but again, no space. I've given up most of my crafts and have dedicated most of my time to vaping. It's more addictive than smoking. lol

Here are some REALLY old examples of my work. I don't know why I stopped taking pics of what I did, so be kind with what you see, k?

(small bottles and containers covered in Polymer Clay using various techniques + a heart covered in thin slices of Polymer Clay)

(votive candle holder covered in imitation Malachite) (Polymer Clay is great for imitating various stones)

Two decorative birdhouses I made with my mother. They were a royal pain in the ass to do, as the wood bases kept shrinking/expanding with the heat of the oven, causing the Polymer Clay to crack. The shingling was really fun to do, as was the textured sides of the birdhouses. :)

When I said vaping was addictive, I meant more than just buying attys. I've been interested in DIY for some time, but I haven't started yet. I have no idea how much time I've spent looking up different flavor concentrates. I haven't narrowed down a list of what I want. I've got bottles, syringes, needles, PG, and VG, plus a smattering of concentrates. I've looked at TONS of recipes on ELR and All the Flavors, trying to find the most useful concentrates. I've also checked out countless flavor profiles on Reddit.

I remember you said you make your own ejuice. Do you create your own recipes, or do you use other people's? Are there any sites you can recommend for ideas? (I really wish there was some way we could talk other than this since this thread should be about the Ammit). Too bad FastTech doesn't have IRC. :/

#29 (permalink)      4/1/2017 4:26:57 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
Very nice work!

My text just disappeared again :-)

Edited on 4/3/2017 at 1:03 PM. Reason:
#30 (permalink)      4/3/2017 8:59:52 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pktech
  • JoinedDec 2015
  • Posts 148
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos23
Taifix wrote:

Very nice work!My text just disappeared again :-)

Was it something other than what you've just typed, 'cause I can see text right there ^^^^.

Did FastTech eat your text? My kitten generally attacks my keyboard right after I've written several paragraphs, making everything disappear, forcing me to remember all the earth-shatteringly important things I've written. He's damned lucky he's cute. ;)

I'm glad you like my Polymer Clay work. I wish I had pictures of my later projects. My work improved with experience. I never reached expert status or anything, but I did some pretty cool stuff. It's a lot of fun to work with.

Well, I'm counting down the days before I get my Ammit and Fuji Son. It turns out there IS a battery pack I can get for my drill. I just need to find the right material to use for the chimneys, should I need to narrow them. Most of my drip tips are Stainless Steel or POM. I don't think I have any that are aluminum. Do you have any suggestions other than Mesh?

#31 (permalink)      4/4/2017 4:48:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
I think the Ammit will be fine for you with the airflow - at least I hope so. I think it´s a very comfortable airflow.
The pictures with the chimney reduction are from the supreme lite.

The supreme lite works great with dual coil, but not with single coil. I was able to get the airflow comfortable but it gives me dry hits, no matter how I wick. I´ve tried both vertical and horizontal coil with scottish roll and other tricks and even drilled the juiceflow holes - still dry hits.
So I will not use it in single coil mode - which means again that I will sell it :-(

So the Ammit is still my daily driver, although I like most of the construction of the supreme lite much better.
BUT - the Ammit works great if you fix the problems on this tank!

It´s important to lube some places on the Ammit to make it work properly.

Update: Geek Vape will come with a dual coil Ammit, with postless deck and extension to 6ml.
There is also a single coil option. Mhm - no thanks!
It doesn´t really look like they fixed the troubles and just push new stuff into the market - as usual...

Again for me a way backwards, as I don´t want compromises anymore.
Just a pure Single coil tank - but in high quality!
So I will pass this one at the moment, but the dual-coil guys will be raving about it I think.
Good for them - but not for me :-(

This new Ammit will come with 25mm :-(
It might be interesting to run it in single-coil mode and drill some airholes in the ceramic-block for 4D airflow. Also chimney reduction will be needed....
So I´m waiting for the Clone!

Edited on 4/5/2017 at 7:54 AM. Reason: