shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Base disassembly
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      3/29/2017 12:21:56 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ferongr
  • JoinedDec 2014
  • Posts 400
  • Reviews 61
  • Kudos171
Base disassembly
Can the positive post be removed to clean the insulator? Is the entire base press-fit or can it be disassembled down to individual parts?

ferongr marked this question as answered on 3/29/2017 at 2:11 PM
Answer
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
The 510 screw is going into another screw. If you remove both you can remove the insulator.

If you want to go further you can also disassemble the base. I can upload pictures on how to if you want.
Here is the disassembled base. You can see a new O-Ring. This one needs to be lubed for LC to work properly.

Edited on 3/29/2017 at 2:27 PM. Reason:
#2 (permalink)      3/29/2017 2:00:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
$1.00 rebate earned+1 details
The 510 screw is going into another screw. If you remove both you can remove the insulator.

If you want to go further you can also disassemble the base. I can upload pictures on how to if you want.
Here is the disassembled base. You can see a new O-Ring. This one needs to be lubed for LC to work properly.

Edited on 3/29/2017 at 2:27 PM. Reason:
#3 (permalink)      3/29/2017 2:16:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ferongr
  • JoinedDec 2014
  • Posts 400
  • Reviews 61
  • Kudos171
Thank you very much! Press-fit bases tend to either loosen, breaking electrical conductivity or leak (if they hold orings and liquids), and atomizers with them suffer prom problems down the line.

My Merlin loses 1ml of liquid through the base overnight for example, and repairing it is not trivial. My Lemo 2s' press-fit bases (I have 5 of them) tend to loosen over time, and any slight bump on the atomizer will slightly separate the two pieces, leading to the positive pin in the center to break connection. Repair requires a plumber's wrench to press the base, nothing to do if you're out and about.

Edited on 3/29/2017 at 2:18 PM. Reason:
#4 (permalink)      3/29/2017 2:24:59 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
+1 details
I agree! I won´t buy anything with a press-fitted base anymore after the Engine Mini and Engine Nano....

I just press mine with a bench wise and some LEGO :-)

Hey cool - I just made another rebate point :-)

I love this place....

Edited on 3/29/2017 at 2:49 PM. Reason:
#5 (permalink)      4/4/2017 4:32:24 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
+1 details
I wasn´t able to move the LC on my second Ammit - so I needed to lube the O-Ring on that one as well. Here are some pics:

1. Screw out both 510 screws and take out the insulator:

2. Base disassembly - put some tape around the base, so that you don´t loose the small parts under the AFC. Hit GENTLY!

3. Lube the O-Ring under the AFC with high VG - change O-Ring if it´s damaged or if tank is leaking

4. Press Base together again

Edited on 4/4/2017 at 4:57 PM. Reason:
#6 (permalink)      4/12/2017 4:51:46 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pktech
  • JoinedDec 2015
  • Posts 148
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos23
Taifix wrote:

I wasn´t able to move the LC on my second Ammit - so I needed to lube the O-Ring on that one as well. Here are some pics: 1. Screw out both 510 screws and take out the insulator: 2. Base disassembly - put some tape around the base, so that you don´t lose the small parts under the AFC. Hit GENTLY! 3. Lube the O-Ring under the AFC with high VG - change O-Ring if it´s damaged or if tank is leaking 4. Press Base together again

I am LEGO-less, but I do have a vise that has rubber pads. Will that work? What small parts are there under the AFC? I've never taken an atomizer apart, so I haven't a clue. What tool do I use to "gently" hit the base? It looks like you're using a screwdriver, but it's hard to tell. Is this whole thing necessary to do, or only if the JFC is wonky? You also mentioned replacing the O-ring. Is there a spare in the kit, or am I supposed to have one laying around that will fit? I want to be prepared before I start taking things apart.

ferongr mentions problems with the Merlin. I'm not having any problems with losing juice, but recently one of my Merlins is not always recognizing the coil. If I smack the atty it starts working again. I don't know if I did a bad job with the coil or if it's a problem with the Merlin. Should I consider doing the same thing to it? (Maybe I should be asking this in the Merlin section, huh?) ;)

#7 (permalink)      4/12/2017 5:47:34 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Taifix
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos142
A vise with rubber pads will be fine.
You don´t need Lego - just something that fits, like wood or paper,....

The tool I use is just a round piece of stell which is flat at the end. It should be bigger than the hole for the 510 in the base.
If you don´t have that then try a thick nail which is flat at the end and hit around the 510 inside the base in a circle to loosen it.

Under the AFC you´ll find the two parts which are shown in the first picture of this thread. There is also a little spring for the little metal ball.
So tape the AFC - it helps that it doesn´t move when you disassemble the base. So you don´t lose those small parts.

If you are lucky the LC will just work the way it should. If not you should open the base.
In step 3 you can see that the O-Ring is damaged. So I changed it and put a lot of VG on it.
Can´t remember if that one came with the Ammit or not. I have sooo many O-Rings....

Same trouble with the Merlin because of press-fitted base - also connectivity problems.

Maybe best if you vape a bit with the Ammit before doing all that....

P.S.: You find my mail-address in the thread with the dry hits!

Edited on 4/12/2017 at 5:50 PM. Reason:
#8 (permalink)      4/13/2017 11:54:39 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pktech
  • JoinedDec 2015
  • Posts 148
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos23
Taifix wrote:

In step 3 you can see that the O-Ring is damaged. So I changed it and put a lot of VG on it.
Can´t remember if that one came with the Ammit or not. I have sooo many O-Rings....

Same trouble with the Merlin because of press-fitted base - also connectivity problems.

Maybe best if you vape a bit with the Ammit before doing all that....

Maybe I'm not looking at the 3rd picture right, but I don't see damage to the O-Ring.

I guess I'll head to the Merlin Forum to see how to fix the connectivity problem if it turns out not to be the coil I'm using right now.

The JFC is working fine so I doubt I'll need to do any of these things. I said in another thread that it's turning past closed. I don't know if that's an issue or not. It turns to open, closed, then half open. Is that normal?

#9 (permalink)      4/14/2017 4:03:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
joycecole
  • JoinedApr 2017
  • Posts 75
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1
Post deleted by mod (Anniepan) on grounds of: Spam
#10 (permalink)      4/14/2017 12:33:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
BladeRunner108
  • JoinedOct 2016
  • Posts 34
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos23
My pharaoh RDTA keeps on leaking near the AFC, is this a possible solution to fix it?
#11 (permalink)      4/15/2017 8:59:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
kavon
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 2311
  • Reviews 291
  • Kudos509
Nope .
Try placing the coils closer to the deck,
To reduce condensation on the barrel.
My does the same thing.
Watch Rip tripper vid with build tips (newer one).