shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Help, having leaks!
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      3/14/2020 10:50:38 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Stiles
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 50
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos12
Help, having leaks!
Hi there I am getting either flooding/leaks from this...usually when the tank starts to be 3/4 full...it is usually ok when totally full but as soon as it hits 3/4 capacity it begins to leak or gurgle. I have check all the o-rings and they check out fine.

I vape 80vg/20pg juice at 0.9-1 ohm (kanthal) usually at 9 watts. Coil diameter is 0.4mm. There is plenty of room on both side of the post to accommodate this. I do lift the coil up about an extra 2-3 mm from the hole.

I only use this at home, at a constant indoor temperature so that is not a variable.

This tank is supposed to be foolproof....any idea what I may be doing wrong here? The build quality seems good and as I said earlier the o-rings all check out great!

Any pros with this tank that may be able to help a brother out?

#2 (permalink)      3/14/2020 11:00:06 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gatok
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 383
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos659
With a 2.5mm ID coil, you don't have to comb or thin out the cotton. Just fluff it and you'll be OK. It wicks pretty well.
#3 (permalink)      3/14/2020 11:24:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Stiles
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 50
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos12
The ID im using is 3.0mm...still too big? Lots of clearance between posts and the deck.
#4 (permalink)      3/14/2020 12:31:27 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gatok
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 383
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos659
I've never used a 3mm ID coil on this. The airflow isn't enough for that and the juice may be cooked easily. 2.5mm is more than sufficient.

#5 (permalink)      3/14/2020 12:37:53 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Stiles
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 50
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos12
Aw crap, all of mine are pre-made 3mm ID....I bought 300 of them a while back just to be lazy. I do have a 100 meter spool of Kanthal 28 AWG so I can make them if I want to, not like it's hard.

I am just wondering if that extra 0.5mm would make that much a difference. There is no burnt taste, then again 9 watts isn't really all that high.

At what wattage do you vape yours at and not get a burnt taste? Maybe I could up the wattage some more.
#6 (permalink)      3/14/2020 12:43:50 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gatok
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 383
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos659
I vape mine at 12 watts with Ni80 28 AWG 6 wraps 2.5mm ID.
#7 (permalink)      3/14/2020 1:20:52 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 1779
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1505
+1 details
Stiles wrote:

I am just wondering if that extra 0.5mm would make that much a difference. There is no burnt taste, then again 9 watts isn't really all that high.

If anything, a 3mm ID coil should be causing the opposite of the problem you're having. This is essentially a GTA, like the Sirens and their ilk. You shouldn't be getting any flooding/gurgling unless you're trying to be clever with your wicks. Don't be. There's an obvious way to wick the tank - as Gatok has done it - and there's absolutely no reason to engage in weirdness. (If you were trying to pump 75W into it using nearly-pure VG as an e-liquid, the story might be different.) A 2.5mm coil with the right amount of cotton for the coil, chopped off abruptly to just about meet the bottom of the tank, not thinned in any way at all, and you should be able to run 70% PG without the slightest leak or gurgle. 80% VG shouldn't even be able to consider beginning to plan to think about it. Well, until your third or fourth refill, that is.

The tank wicks even when you're not using it, so excess e-liquid will eventually find its way to the deck and air hole. All GTA-style tanks will do that to one degree or another. But that's not the same thing as flooding with a new wick when the e-liquid level goes down. That happens when the wet cotton isn't completely filling the wick channels, and that can only happen if you're thinning the cotton out. Don't. That's for other deck types, not for GTAs. When you prime the cotton, it should just fit into the wick channels with no room to spare.

Edited on 3/14/2020 at 1:22 PM. Reason:
#8 (permalink)      3/14/2020 1:21:27 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Stiles
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 50
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos12
How many ohms on your nichrome? Thanks brother :)
#9 (permalink)      3/14/2020 1:25:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 1779
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1505
That's close to 0.9Ω - but that doesn't matter unless you're running on a fixed-output battery or a mech. If you're using a regulated VW mod, resistance doesn't matter at all.
#10 (permalink)      3/14/2020 1:28:49 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Stiles
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 50
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos12
Hmm thanks, both of you!

I have it wicked the same as pictured BUT yes I did do a little "wierdness". I gave it a small haircut at the top, nothing major but still, it was done. I'll try with no cuts next time. :)

essellar wrote:

Stiles wrote:
If anything, a 3mm ID coil should be causing the opposite of the problem you're having. This is essentially a GTA, like the Sirens and their ilk. You shouldn't be getting any flooding/gurgling unless you're trying to be clever with your wicks. Don't be. There's an obvious way to wick the tank - as Gatok has done it - and there's absolutely no reason to engage in weirdness. (If you were trying to pump 75W into it using nearly-pure VG as an e-liquid, the story might be different.) A 2.5mm coil with the right amount of cotton for the coil, chopped off abruptly to just about meet the bottom of the tank, not thinned in any way at all, and you should be able to run 70% PG without the slightest leak or gurgle. Well, until your third or fourth refill, that is.

The tank wicks even when you're not using it, so excess e-liquid will eventually find its way to the deck and air hole. All GTA-style tanks will do that to one degree or another. But that's not the same thing as flooding with a new wick when the e-liquid level goes down. That happens when the wet cotton isn't completely filling the wick channels, and that can only happen if you're thinning the cotton out. Don't. That's for other deck types, not for GTAs. When you prime the cotton, it should just fit into the wick channels with no room to spare.

#11 (permalink)      3/14/2020 11:55:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DanTo
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 993
  • Reviews 225
  • Kudos773
+1 details
As said, don't thin the wick. Even if not thinned, some irregularities (gaps) can cause flooding. I find it better to leave slightly longer tails, and to wrap them a little around the center pole. Even if the sides are well filled, there might be some gaps at the bottom, so better safe than sorry. And, the sides can take a lot more cotton than would one think (even though the cotton expands, there is still much room outside the wick channels that can/should be filled).

Another thing, some cottons are less dense than others, so I found I have to pack visually more of them (but in fact it is the same amount as the denser ones). Examples: SKU 4428401 SKU 4693600. If I cut "regular" strips of them, it would flood. Often it takes some time for the wick to wear itself with usage, but it will flood. And sometimes straight away.

I usually use 2,5 mm diameter coil, and 3 mm is also fine, both without thinning. For larger ones, I wouldn't know, but I myself would try them without thinning at first.

And the last one that drove me crazy: the positive post (the semicircle and the pole) was not tight enough and it moved a little, creating a miniature gap that caused flooding. It took me months to understand what was happening. The post was seemingly as tight as it could be (by hand), but I had to tighten THE BOTTOM SCREW more with long screwdriver and pliers. I only noticed it by chance when I tightened the positive leg and the whole semicircle moved.

Source: I've been using the Doggy for at least 3 years without pause.

Edited on 3/14/2020 at 11:57 PM. Reason: