shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Not a mechanical box mod
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      8/10/2017 12:59:16 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
Much simpler :

"Regulated" or "Electronic mod" for everthing that have electronic in it.
"Regulated" actually being use for mods that don't just have only a mosfet.
TC/VV/VW used to differenciate the capabilities of regulated devices.

#5 and #6, "Mech mod" for all 'electrical only' mods would be fine together imo.
I do understand "mechanical mod" have long been associated to mods that only have an electrical circuit and a high amps capable mechanical switch.

But wires and solders are not electronic componants.
You can build an electrical circuit using huge plates pressed together instead of wires, it won't make it mechanical.

Why wires should be excluded ?
The conductor shape don't change its purpose.
A thick copper wire will always be better than a thin chinesium plate anyway.

And solder is always preferable to press contacts, i really don't understand why some peoples frown upon it.

Btw, #4 is usually VV

Edited on 8/10/2017 at 1:11 PM. Reason:
#12 (permalink)      8/10/2017 4:04:57 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AuralVirus
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5842
  • Reviews 137
  • Kudos3454
+2 details
^Yeah it might be simpler to clump everything together, heck just call every device from tube mode to tc mod & all between as a "Box Mod" :P but it's not about making it "simpler to name" but simpler for consumers (& retailers) to distinguish products from each other and not cause confusion for purchasers especially the newcomers.

So, re: Wires & solders, they are essentially tracks on a circuit board connecting resistors and chips that is why when in a mod, said mod can not be classed as mechanical. Thats the whole point of having different titles.
5 & 6 MUST remain separate, it's commonly accepted so lets not rock that sacred :) boat or add further confusion.

Combining 1&2 together defeats the benefits of naming something to avoid confusion when purchasing. There is a difference between a VW/VV only mod and one's with temp control (this is for commercial listing and consumer awareness) thus clumping it all together leaves no distinction.
My basis theory is that the written word was literally a virus that made spoken word possible. [An aural virus so to speak.] : William S. Burroughs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqukFWVCt04
#13 (permalink)      8/10/2017 9:02:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RussG
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 3824
  • Reviews 106
  • Kudos4329
AuralVirus wrote:

moayad wrote:If not mechanical, so what is it?a mod ?:)As fasttech have now listed it, so kudos to them.Can anyone think of additional distinguishing features to the 6 categories below?1/ Temp Controlled VW/VV mod2/ VW/VV mod3/ Mod : Has some form of circuitry from the basic mosfet & wiring to more complicated set ups yet no screen readout other than simple indicators4/ Potentiometer mod (could be listed with category 3)5/ Semi-mechanical mod : Any form of wiring used to complete a circuit, soldered or otherwise.6/ Mechanical mod : No wires or circuitry or soldered points.

I would expect category 2/ VW/VV mods will soon be a thing of the past as all newer chips will have the provision for TC. 3/4 I see as the same animal, I fancy the Tesla Invader, regulated to a certain extent but still gives the freedom to re-create the big bang. Not a mech but still user be aware.

We all know and understand what a mech is,regulated devices too. The only mod for a new vaper.

1.Regulated, vape with confidence, assuming the right cell choice.
2.Mech's, if you don't know what a mech it is, not for you.
3.Hybrids?, the gray area.

FT vapers know all this already so for clarity for newcomers, perhaps this.

1.Regulated: The safe and easy option
2.Mech's/Hybrids: Research required

#14 (permalink)      8/10/2017 9:30:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42156
+2 details
Mods imply a custom modification, kekehe...
#15 (permalink)      8/10/2017 9:50:11 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RussG
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 3824
  • Reviews 106
  • Kudos4329
+2 details
wuwei.ap wrote:

Mods imply a custom modification, kekehe...

Bit of a mismomer nowadays, was unsure of the def of a mod myself, presumed went back to the early days of home made vaping devices. Loads of good off the shelf "mods" around nowadays. All good for us vapers.

#16 (permalink)      8/10/2017 9:56:20 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 25400
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos20478
+1 details
The only thing that has remained standard is the only thing that should not have... The wimpy 510!

Edited on 8/10/2017 at 9:59 PM. Reason:
We’re paying congress millions to do nothing. We’re paying Trump nothing to do everything.
#17 (permalink)      8/10/2017 10:30:23 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RussG
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 3824
  • Reviews 106
  • Kudos4329
Vapor wrote:

The only thing that has remained standard is the only thing that should not have... The wimpy 510!

All ears, what would you suggest. Would have to be significantly better than the 510 to be adopted. We all have so much 510 gear.You too.

#18 (permalink)      8/10/2017 10:55:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 25400
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos20478
+1 details
RussG wrote:

Vapor wrote:
The only thing that has remained standard is the only thing that should not have... The wimpy 510!All ears, what would you suggest. Would have to be significantly better than the 510 to be adopted. We all have so much 510 gear.You too.

A 510 is great for the original cig-a-like... 30mm attys not so much... Something like this makes much more sense:

Edited on 8/10/2017 at 11:10 PM. Reason:
We’re paying congress millions to do nothing. We’re paying Trump nothing to do everything.
#19 (permalink)      8/11/2017 2:43:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
@AuralVirus
Kudo given for answering and the different point of view.

Let just agree to disagree on the wire/solder part tho.

There should'nt be any confusion.
Tracks on a PCB are called "traces", not wires.
Not concidering mech's metal plates as being wires but concidering traces as being wires, i don't understand.

Breadboard, no solder required.
The bus bars and theirs contacts serve the same electrical and mechanical purpose as wires and solder.
Will still be an electrical contraption if no electronic componants are use, and an electronic contraption if electronic componants are use.
There should'nt be any confusion about that either.

Edited on 8/11/2017 at 3:24 AM. Reason:
#20 (permalink)      8/11/2017 3:09:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
Hum...

The "problem" might be that i don't see any good reason to differenciate mechs that don't have wire and solder from those that do.

For me, in a vaping context, "mech" = electrical device.
#21 (permalink)      8/11/2017 7:00:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RussG
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 3824
  • Reviews 106
  • Kudos4329
+1 details
Vapor wrote:

RussG wrote:Vapor wrote:The only thing that has remained standard is the only thing that should not have... The wimpy 510!All ears, what would you suggest. Would have to be significantly better than the 510 to be adopted. We all have so much 510 gear.You too.A 510 is great for the original cig-a-like... 30mm attys not so much... Something like this makes much more sense:

Now seeing the pic I agree. Larger dia more stable physical connection, no more wobbly 501's, less prone to wear. Count me in.

Is that a real pic?