shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Easy "hot button" fix
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      5/13/2019 8:52:34 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ImCannibal
  • JoinedFeb 2018
  • Posts 46
  • Reviews 28
  • Kudos19
+5 details
Easy "hot button" fix
I bought this mod with the sole intent of taking it apart and figuring out why other people here and on other sites were claiming it had "hot button" failures. Some claim its the spring in the button (wrong) and others just claim its a piece of crap.
Guess what, the fix is EASY.

Yoink this little guy out.

Replace with a piece of heavy gauge copper sheet.

The "hot button" is caused by the crappy material that contact bar is made of, NOT the spring in the button (which never even makes contact with anything conductive).
Im not 100% certain but it feels like the contact bar is made from nickle or chrome plaited aluminum.
I got a few pieces of 22ga beryllium copper from a rain gutter company when I called and asked if they had any scraps from a job I could have. Cheap and easy modification, no hot button, crazy low voltage sag.

EDIT: I checked the original contact bar with a magnet and a pair of tin snips, its definitely just 26ga low grade magnetic steel, probably a carbon steel or mild steel. No wonder these things were cooking buttons, a strip of steel like that is basically a 20amp slow-blow fuse.

Edited on 5/13/2019 at 10:36 PM. Reason:
Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night.
#2 (permalink)      5/14/2019 1:14:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TheRedlines
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 2229
  • Reviews 57
  • Kudos1857
+2 details
I don't see myself ever picking up this mod but I appreciate time and effort you've put into both the modding and especially sharing it here. This is a big part of what makes this forum great.

Edited on 5/14/2019 at 1:15 AM. Reason:
#3 (permalink)      5/14/2019 5:22:39 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ImCannibal
  • JoinedFeb 2018
  • Posts 46
  • Reviews 28
  • Kudos19
As far as parallel mods go, it hits about the same as my authentic ElDiablo mech that got a refurb with the same copper sheeting, in parallel+series its a monster. I haven't tried it in series yet, but I imagine it'll do fine.

Edited on 5/14/2019 at 5:25 AM. Reason: spelling errors due to lack of sleep
Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night.