Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

What is the problem with this chip|?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      2/23/2021 8:25:27 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3874
+1 details
I'm pretty sure the switch is at fault, it doesn't click anymore does it? Hard to press and doesn't really bounce back afterward?

It's a faulty switch just like the one I have that broke. I just found mine.

I'm going to take mine apart and take a look.
Always keep your ear to the ground!
#12 (permalink)      2/23/2021 8:42:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3874
+1 details
It's a simple spring inside that isn't making electrical connection, looks like we have faulty parts.

The tolerances are pretty tight, I'd guess a few thousandths of an inch difference from a crack in the housing of the switch could cause it to fail.

Oh yeah, I got it, the plastic tabs just to the outside of the actuator which hold the body of the switch to the metal soldered to the board get stretched over time and create too large a gap for the throw of the spring to activate the circuit. Bad design!

The holes in the back of the switch create a weak point where the plastic is able to bend and potentially break with the force applied in the center of the switch while being supported at it's outer edges.

Edited on 2/23/2021 at 9:17 AM. Reason:
#13 (permalink)      2/23/2021 8:42:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4851
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3042
Your photos don't appear to show any sign of shorting or burning...you may really be very unlucky and received poor chips, I always have used SXK chips, which have appeared in the Atto clone, Ultroner ministick, and CoolVapor Takit.

since those chips are not individually available now, your options are limited. There's nothing you can do to fix it, so unfortunately you may have to buy another, to continue using your Cthulu.

Cheap chinese products are great for price, not so great for longevity. The least stress allowed is around .2 resistance, and you mention being a "hard" vapor, at .8...it could simply be the chip can't take repeated higher resistance use, and dies quicker than you would like...1000 puffs at a higher resistance puts more strain on a mosfet than 1000 puffs at a lower, within specs, resistance.

good luck!
What does he mean when he says words?
#14 (permalink)      2/23/2021 9:06:22 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3874
+1 details
Yeah, shitty switches! A crack this small opens up the span the spring isn't able to make contact with in the interior of the switch.
#15 (permalink)      2/23/2021 9:23:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3874
+1 details
Buy another and bed the back of the switch with a non-electrically conductive epoxy and than be gentle with it while pressing the button. I might suggest a devcon plastic steel epoxy.

Mosfets are very sound and reliable electrical components! You're nowhere near 40 amps.

Edited on 2/23/2021 at 10:01 AM. Reason:
#16 (permalink)      2/23/2021 12:49:26 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
SuperCrystal
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos4
+1 details
Actually the switch works fine and I cannot see any problem with it also I can hear the pressure sound very well

I made a video for the switch in case you'd like to watch it, or any one

https://we.tl/t-j7QE5kYdAL
#17 (permalink)      2/23/2021 1:21:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3874
The switches are well known for failure. Good luck!
#18 (permalink)      2/23/2021 1:24:44 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4851
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3042
SuperCrystal wrote:

Actually the switch works fine and I cannot see any problem with it also I can hear the pressure sound very well

I made a video for the switch in case you'd like to watch it, or any one

https://we.tl/t-j7QE5kYdAL

I didn't think that would be the problem, the first thing you would notice would be the button not clicking, and if you're anything like me, I bet you clicked it A LOT when you discovered it was no longer working! I know you don't want to hear this, but at least they are super cheap...hopefully you just got really unlucky and the next one you buy will last years! (buy two, lol) Good luck!

Edited on 2/23/2021 at 1:25 PM. Reason:
What does he mean when he says words?
#19 (permalink)      2/23/2021 2:09:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
steamer861
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 112
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos103
The force of the button click, could affect the solder joint on the board. Even if the button is clicking it could have lost contact to the board! On mine the solder was all most non existent :( If you have a soldering Iron? It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot :)
#20 (permalink)      2/23/2021 2:26:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
SuperCrystal
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos4
+1 details
Thank you guys for trying helping me
My Next order will be 7 pcs, not only two then I will decide whether to continue using cthulhu tube mod or not! By the way, does any one you know that if there is a company that sell high-quality chips can be installed on Cthulhu tube? usa or German made ?

Edited on 2/23/2021 at 2:27 PM. Reason:
#21 (permalink)      2/23/2021 2:43:09 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
SuperCrystal
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos4
+1 details
steamer861 wrote:

The force of the button click, could affect the solder joint on the board. Even if the button is clicking it could have lost contact to the board! On mine the solder was all most non existent :( If you have a soldering Iron? It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot :)

This may be the cause of the problem
Unfortunately, I do not have a soldering Iron