Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Beware
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      4/26/2021 1:25:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4792
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2878
JayJayMcKlay wrote:

carrion4worm wrote:
I am thinking along the same lines....assuming this is "pure aluminum" is 100% folly. It is an amalgam of several recycled alloys, with enough Aluminum to call it such on a basic level. The fact is no one knows, and this measure was done as a cost-cutting measure, which ALWAYS means trouble to consumers.

No, it's not going to melt down your throat, lol....but there are valid concerns here.

I wouldn't buy any atty that wasn't stainless steel on purpose. You shouldn't either.

So what the differences between that and the grades of Stainless Steel?

Well you kinda answered your own question...grades. Alloys by definition contain more than 1 metal, but you are thinking smart...As far as the differences between s.s. and aluminum, companies do it ONLY to save money because it's cheaper to buy alloy, and it's much softer, which saves on tooling and cutting costs, as well as just being faster, allowing more product to be made in the same time. Stainless can be PAINFULLY slow to machine without chatter or rub, and can overheat carbide bits quite easily.

Edited on 4/26/2021 at 1:34 PM. Reason:
What does he mean when he says words?
#12 (permalink)      4/26/2021 1:28:11 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12777
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19435
+2 details
vape8ion wrote:

Well gosh, Shelagh didn't die from using one and dj sez its ok sooooo, it must be fine. Right? Aluminum is your friend.

Zeus X is 3 years old? Time flies.

2 years I see.
Feels like 3.

I wont speak to the aluminum safety issue as I buy only authentic atomizers 99.9% of the time to which the group of you once derided me heavily for as well.

I don't care for styled versions. I cant be bothered to fix them nor have the few I have purchased ever lasted anywhere as long as the authentic versions I bought.

The issue with the chimney in the authentic I found even far worse in the 2 styled versions.
To each their own but I have not been lucky with clones.

Edited on 4/26/2021 at 1:29 PM. Reason:
#13 (permalink)      4/26/2021 1:36:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JayJayMcKlay
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2015
  • Posts 389
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos322
+1 details
carrion4worm wrote:

JayJayMcKlay wrote:
carrion4worm wrote:
I am thinking along the same lines....assuming this is "pure aluminum" is 100% folly. It is an amalgam of several recycled alloys, with enough Aluminum to call it such on a basic level. The fact is no one knows, and this measure was done as a cost-cutting measure, which ALWAYS means trouble to consumers.

No, it's not going to melt down your throat, lol....but there are valid concerns here.

I wouldn't buy any atty that wasn't stainless steel on purpose. You shouldn't either.

So what the differences between that and the grades of Stainless Steel?
Well you kinda answered your own question...grades.

How?
I mean if your afraid of the grades of Chinese aluminum why would you not be that of Chinese stainless steel?
I am pretty sure both the material is made and sold by the same criteria (grade).
So if one could be fake!

The internet used to be all about spreading and sharing knowledge, but today it seems that it's mostly about spreading ignorance.
#14 (permalink)      4/26/2021 1:50:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3873
+2 details
Browserle wrote:

This clone looks good and works well according to the reviews. The price is also tempting. But I didn't buy one.Because the chimney of this clone is made of aluminum and heated aluminum could cause health problems, FastTech should remove this item from its offer as soon as possible.By the way, this applies to all clones of a Zeus X with an aluminum chimney offered here.Stay healthy, don't take unnecessary risks and in this case better buy an original.

Funny how some of these people don't even consider to ask what liquid you may be vaping!

Edit: Oxidation of the metals by the liquids is the basis of the concerns.
At least it's about positively less than inhaled from the use of combustibles.

Edited on 4/26/2021 at 1:56 PM. Reason:
Always keep your ear to the ground!
#15 (permalink)      4/26/2021 1:59:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4792
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2878
+1 details
The only grade on this atty is "F". Sorry.

On a simple, non-health related note, Aluminum is just much softer, less dense, and has nowhere near the durability. If you don't care about gasses and particulates, maybe some will just want an atty that lasts a lifetime. I can show you some of my older Aluminum mods 5 years old...

By Graded, I meant "T6 aluminum" OR "304 S.S.", both metals indeed have a grading system. You might notice that nowhere in this atty listing is the Aluminum graded.

Wanna see quality Aluminum? Look elsewhere than this atty, that's all I'm saying. Spend an extra 5.00 or whatever.
What does he mean when he says words?
#16 (permalink)      4/26/2021 2:11:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3873
+2 details
Just a little factoid.

"The combination of aluminum and stainless steel causes galvanic corrosion. In order to understand why you shouldn’t use stainless steel and aluminum together, we first need to understand how galvanic corrosion works. Galvanic corrosion is the transfer of electrons from one material (anode) to another (cathode). In addition to knowing what galvanic corrosion is, we also need to understand the technical terms that go along with it."

Edited on 4/26/2021 at 2:14 PM. Reason:
#17 (permalink)      4/26/2021 3:16:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JayJayMcKlay
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2015
  • Posts 389
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos322
So how to determine between them.
One material (anode) to another (cathode)?

I am new to this but find it kind of interesting how to find out if it will be okay.
If I understand it Stainless Steel would be okay as the corroding metal in contact with aluminum but aluminum would not be okay as the corroding metal in contact with Stainless Steel.
But again how to know which one is corroding and which one is the contact?

From Wiki!
A "lasagna cell" is accidentally produced when salty moist food such as lasagna is stored in a steel baking pan and is covered with aluminium foil. After a few hours the foil develops small holes where it touches the lasagna, and the food surface becomes covered with small spots composed of corroded aluminium.[14] In this example, the salty food (lasagna) is the electrolyte, the aluminium foil is the anode, and the steel pan is the cathode. If the aluminium foil touches the electrolyte only in small areas, the galvanic corrosion is concentrated, and corrosion can occur fairly rapidly. If the aluminium foil was not used with a dissimilar metal container, the reaction was probably a chemical one. It is possible for heavy concentrations of salt, vinegar or some other acidic compounds to cause the foil to disintegrate. The product of either of these reactions is an aluminium salt. It does not harm the food, but any deposit may impart an undesired flavor and color.[15]

But would the same thing happen if you did it the other way around?
Lasagna in a aluminium foil baking pan and covered it with a steel cover?
The internet used to be all about spreading and sharing knowledge, but today it seems that it's mostly about spreading ignorance.
#18 (permalink)      4/26/2021 6:01:53 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3873
Who made the lasagna and how many electrons are in the valance of the offending milk cow carrying the iron or actual lack there of to the party? Go stuff a penny in your ketchup, that's what I always tellem!

And make that a dirty old penny!

In an alternate frame of mind it's like a hot item clearance sale, those extra floaty bits that have been clinging on just gotta go at any expense.

Edited on 4/26/2021 at 6:17 PM. Reason:
#19 (permalink)      1/28/2022 12:47:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
dippinb
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2017
  • Posts 2
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0
tonypp wrote:

I bought this Zeus for a friend, it's his only tank, used daily, and still going a year later.I re-coiled it for him last week, and there is literally nothing wrong with it.We've replaced glass tanks along the way, but that's it.

What glass tank did he replace it with?

Glass tank (26*22*26mm/29*21.5*29mm)

Shouldn't the heights be the same!?