shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Longevity?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      5/20/2019 5:43:28 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
avpx1
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 80
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos19
+2 details
Longevity?
I wonder how long the aluminum switch will last compared to SS what with aluminum being a softer metal. I'm also wondering if the threads will wear out quickly too.
Anyone have experience with aluminum mechs?
I think they were very smart to put brass end caps on the mod, at least the 510 threads should hold up.
I have to admit, the weight of this mod is so very attractive that it is cart bound regardless.
Thoughts?
#2 (permalink)      5/20/2019 11:07:15 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 11677
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos18513
+2 details
I know some folks really like the Bestia....I did too. But, the switch....Even on the SS it was problematic for me. I kept having to pry it out. I shelved mine. Aluminum is not going to be better imo. Maybe other people have had a better experience than I did. Certainly it is inexpensive enough to give it a try.
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#3 (permalink)      5/21/2019 12:01:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TheRedlines
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 2229
  • Reviews 57
  • Kudos1856
+1 details
vape8ion wrote:

I know some folks really like the Bestia....I did too. But, the switch....Even on the SS it was problematic for me. I kept having to pry it out. I shelved mine. Aluminum is not going to be better imo. Maybe other people have had a better experience than I did. Certainly it is inexpensive enough to give it a try.

Were your experiences with this Animal style or a different but similar side fire Bestia?

#4 (permalink)      5/21/2019 5:10:35 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
plague91
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 538
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos287
+1 details
TheRedlines wrote:

vape8ion wrote:

Were your experiences with this Animal style or a different but similar side fire Bestia?

i've had no issue with the switch on my mini B or fiera. the mini B needed the switch plate bending out a bit out of the box (since it'd been crammed in a plastic tube that was too small, which bent the switch inwards), but that's about it.

i can't say for sure how well the Al version will hold up, hopefully it'll be alright since it does say it's an aluminium alloy, which will probably be stronger. if it was pure Al i wouldn't trust it nearly as much.

#5 (permalink)      5/21/2019 5:35:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
I've never had to pry out the switch on my MiniB's or Fieras and I've ordered the ss, aluminium and brass versions of the Bestia Animal as well as the 18650/20700/21700 ss and brass versions.

The only aluminium mech tubes I have are the Dotmod Petri Lite 22mm and 24mm versions and none of the threads on any of them have worn out.

Edited on 5/21/2019 at 5:36 AM. Reason:
#6 (permalink)      5/21/2019 9:18:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
plague91
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 538
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos287
+2 details
djvillan wrote:

I've never had to pry out the switch on my MiniB's or Fieras and I've ordered the ss, aluminium and brass versions of the Bestia Animal as well as the 18650/20700/21700 ss and brass versions.The only aluminium mech tubes I have are the Dotmod Petri Lite 22mm and 24mm versions and none of the threads on any of them have worn out.

threads should be fine as long as you don's cross thread it. the threads on the battery cap are pretty coarse, so there's little chance of that.

i've ordered the SS, Cu and Al versions, i'll report back when they arrive

#7 (permalink)      5/22/2019 1:57:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JessVapin
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 8551
  • Reviews 82
  • Kudos22295
$0.40 rebate earned+7 details
Maybe I can shed some light on the subject. =P

As you'd imagine, it's a hard hitter. And the scale speaks for itself.
Overall I think it's a bargain.
Aluminum mods don't degrade if not neglected. There's a small price to pay for hard hitting ultra light 650 tube mods. A little extra care and they'll last as long as any others. I have many aluminum tubes, some I use regularly and some have sat on shelves for years. I wouldn't hesitate to drop a battery in any of them and expect great performance if that's how I left them at last use. =)
As far as the throw on this and the switch/bar breaking? I'd highly doubt under normal use it'd ever happen now that I have one in my hand. The throw is the distance of the thickness of the tubes wall. Yes, if you stick your finger inside and bend it out and go too far you may crack or break the bar, but it's unlikely that you need to make that sort of exaggerated adjustment.
So if you like this design at this price I think you'll be very happy when it arrives. I know I am! Gonna need more than one of these babies for sure! =)

edit: if you've got questions or want me to check something before you purchase I'll be subscribed to this thread for a bit. ;)

Edited on 5/22/2019 at 1:58 AM. Reason:
I'll be in and out.
#8 (permalink)      5/22/2019 5:09:39 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Squonk_life
  • JoinedDec 2016
  • Posts 1279
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos791
+3 details
Damn Jess, mine got held up by my rta. But hopefully it will be here next week.
Squonklife
#9 (permalink)      5/22/2019 5:19:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42155
+2 details
I don't think there would be any issues with the materials themselves. I'd only worry about my skin chemistry reacting with the aluminium. This is a mod where I'd lubricate the threads with something - probably a silicone lubricant/grease - I don't like the feel of aluminium threading.
#10 (permalink)      5/22/2019 8:08:35 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Falux
  • JoinedMar 2017
  • Posts 26
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos21
+3 details
My skin doesn't react visibly in any way with my uncoated Al mechs. No smell on the hands like on copper or brass either.

Al threads will strip easier than SS or brass, more like copper threads, so don't abuse them. None of my Al mechs have worn out yet though. Just clean the threads from time to time and put a little grease on and they will serve you well.
#11 (permalink)      5/22/2019 9:22:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
plague91
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 538
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos287
+3 details
looks good jess! can't wait for my 3 to arrive, the copper one is going to be a custom patina project :)

by the way, am i right with my speculation that bridging between the tube and the bat of the atty will cause it to fire? i'm particularly talking about RDAs and RTAs with protruding deck lips (like the original bonza) or solid bases with no AFC ring (e.g. kayfun lite). just be wary, because theoretically it should be possible.

interestingly the real deal bestia animal 1.2 seems to come with an insulated top cap which would reduce the chance of this happening, so i do think it's a genuine possibility. if i were you i'd chuck an atty swirl protector on there, just to be safe :)