shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Longevity?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      5/22/2019 9:22:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
plague91
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 538
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos287
+3 details
looks good jess! can't wait for my 3 to arrive, the copper one is going to be a custom patina project :)

by the way, am i right with my speculation that bridging between the tube and the bat of the atty will cause it to fire? i'm particularly talking about RDAs and RTAs with protruding deck lips (like the original bonza) or solid bases with no AFC ring (e.g. kayfun lite). just be wary, because theoretically it should be possible.

interestingly the real deal bestia animal 1.2 seems to come with an insulated top cap which would reduce the chance of this happening, so i do think it's a genuine possibility. if i were you i'd chuck an atty swirl protector on there, just to be safe :)
#12 (permalink)      5/22/2019 10:51:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JessVapin
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 8551
  • Reviews 82
  • Kudos22295
+4 details
Thanks plague91, i like this one a lot. I like all the Bestia mechs actually, they share design details i dreamed about on mech tubes for a long time before they came out lol.
Thats an excellent idea! A natural patina would look awesome!

So this mod does incorporate an insulating top cap. Enough of one that unless you really crank down on the installation of your atty there wont be any possibility of shorting out. Id guess you could in theory if you tried really hard to make it short lol
Heres some crappy pics from my new crap phone lol that you can try and see what i mean with an overhanging atty. =)

I'll be in and out.
#13 (permalink)      5/22/2019 11:18:27 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
plague91
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 538
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos287
+1 details
cheers for the reply jess!

yeah, i'm a big fan of these mods too, if i had serious money to burn i'd buy an authentic in a heartbeat. the sleek side firing design along with the efficiency that comes with a mod made from as few parts as possible is basically my idea of mech perfection. a natural looking patina would be cool, but i think i'm going to try for a 'fire and ice' style using ammonia, salt and mustard.

ah i see, there wasn't much of a perceivable gap in your original photos, so the delrin part slightly protrudes even when it's threaded in all the way? i'm pretty sure it would still fire if you shorted between the atty and and tube with a key though, so despite the flush switch i still wouldn't say this one was overly pocket safe in stock form.

on that note, you might be interested in my idea for a simple locking system (can be applied to the old mini B too). just line the inner top of the threaded top cap with a few mm of squidgy foam rubber. that way you can loosen the battery cap by a turn, disconnecting the positive pole, but the foam will expand and maintain some pressure on the battery so it doesn't rattle around and leave the battery cap overly loose. i thought of this a while ago but never tried it on my mini B, i'll definitely be trying it with this though.
#14 (permalink)      5/22/2019 11:19:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42155
+1 details
#15 (permalink)      5/22/2019 11:44:51 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JessVapin
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 8551
  • Reviews 82
  • Kudos22295
+1 details
Ah now i understand your question, the ol Dos Equis key trick lol (i just woke up lol) Yes. You are correct. This design is not pocket friendly if you carry anything else in pocket with it that is metal. It will in fact fire if you bridge the atty with the tube body.

Fire and ice would be cool!

That locking idea would work, im ok with it as it is. The throw is stiff enough, and im one who regularly uses mechs so its natural at this point for my mind to realize the caution needed for certain setups. If im not in the mood to be mindful that day i just grab a regulated setup hehee =P
I'll be in and out.
#16 (permalink)      5/22/2019 11:47:18 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JessVapin
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 8551
  • Reviews 82
  • Kudos22295
+1 details
Yup,a high maintenance Cylon finish. lol =D
I'll be in and out.
#17 (permalink)      5/22/2019 11:59:43 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
j3oomerang
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 354
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos259
+1 details
Hmm, I bought this, but prefer the way the Bestia Fiera works. Been really wanting a Fiera clone but was never able to find one in stock. It only has one part that screws and unscrews. It also threads on and off very easy without tools since it's in the middle. This design here has an extra threaded section and will be harder to grip to unscrew. Hopefully the cutouts make it pretty easy to screw and unscrew.
#18 (permalink)      5/22/2019 12:10:57 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JessVapin
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 8551
  • Reviews 82
  • Kudos22295
+1 details
Fiera is a nice mod for sure. Of all the Bestias i prefer the Mini b. If i could only have one that'd be the one. This mod is a neck and neck race for first but I'll need to use it longer to see who pulls ahead. The Fiera has too much girth and weight to ever win for me but a super nice mod if you prefer its aesthetics.

Cant think of a reason id screw the top cap all the way in without an atty snugged up on it first, but if i did the cutouts are plenty beefy for a pliers or tweezer tool to grab and loosen.
I'll be in and out.
#19 (permalink)      5/22/2019 12:23:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
plague91
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 538
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos287
+1 details
JessVapin wrote:

Ah now i understand your question, the ol Dos Equis key trick lol (i just woke up lol) Yes. You are correct. This design is not pocket friendly if you carry anything else in pocket with it that is metal. It will in fact fire if you bridge the atty with the tube body.

Fire and ice would be cool!

That locking idea would work, im ok with it as it is. The throw is stiff enough, and im one who regularly uses mechs so its natural at this point for my mind to realize the caution needed for certain setups. If im not in the mood to be mindful that day i just grab a regulated setup hehee =P

spot on! i couldn't remember the names of any of the box mods that had a similar issue off the top of my head. I was also concerned about the atty touching the tube, but it seems there's a decent enough gap there... although someone will probably manage to crank it down enough to autofire, loads of people did with the mini B, which must have dented the hell out of their batteries (unless their 510s are very short)

my main interest in making this lockable is to make it truly pocket friendly, the mini B was just a desk mod for me and it'd be nice if i could use this out and about. i have no issue carrying mods like the smpl, but i'm a lot more cautious with side firers. the way i look at it is that when it comes to carrying unprotected lithium cells in close proximity to your genitals, it's better to be safe than sorry :P

j3oomerang wrote:

Hmm, I bought this, but prefer the way the Bestia Fiera works. Been really wanting a Fiera clone but was never able to find one in stock. It only has one part that screws and unscrews. It also threads on and off very easy without tools since it's in the middle. This design here has an extra threaded section and will be harder to grip to unscrew. Hopefully the cutouts make it pretty easy to screw and unscrew.

the fiera actually has 2 threaded sections as well. i'd say this design is nicer overall, less convenient if you're wanting to swap atties all the time, but if you plan to pair it with one atomizer then you'll only really be dealing with the battery cap. you could probably reach inside with a pair of tweezers to lock into the cutouts and remove the atty without having to deal with unscrewing that finely threaded top piece, it's a bit of a faff, but personally i'm just going to find an atty that suits it and leave it there.

#20 (permalink)      5/22/2019 12:31:39 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
j3oomerang
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 354
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos259
+1 details
Ahh, that's right, there is a battery adjustment at the bottom. I'd like to see one with just a threaded section in the middle (in 18650 and 21700). The two sections wouldn't be flush as they would need to allow for different battery sizes and 510 lengths, but I'd bee OK with that.

Edit: I'm just describing the Mini B aren't I? Sorry just looked it up. I wanted the the Fiera more so I had an excuse to buy some 21700 batts and never looked at the Mini B that closely.

Edited on 5/22/2019 at 12:34 PM. Reason:
#21 (permalink)      5/22/2019 1:09:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JessVapin
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 8551
  • Reviews 82
  • Kudos22295
+1 details
Yikes plague91!lol genitals are definitely a concern! =D

Hehee yes you did j3oomerang =P
Check it out a bit further. The Mini b is a great mod ;)

...now an aluminum Mini b?...id buy a half dozen! =P

Edited on 5/22/2019 at 1:13 PM. Reason:
I'll be in and out.