Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

My review
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      8/27/2019 2:36:28 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
+1 details
My review
I picked this up for about 3/4 the price and I tested it in both 18350 and 18650 mode for a few days.

It appears to have a black cerakote finish which is very good but it is very glossy, smooth and slippery. Starting from the top the top cap has a built in collar/beauty ring which I personally don't like on any mechanical tube mod. This limits the atty size it can fit inside it to 22mm in diameter. Attys larger than 22mm in diameter will sit on top of the collar but still be flush while any attys larger than 23mm will result in overhang. In the spares bag there's an 18mm adapter collar which screws into the built in collar. imo having a collar unnecessarily increases any mod's height.

The mosfet sits beneath the top cap. It's a v2 mosfet chip with clear coating to provide protection against e-liquid leaking onto it and condensation forming. It offers various forms of protection including short circuit, reverse battery polarity, over voltage, low power. low resistance protection, 12 second timeout and a 3 click on/off function. It will not fire below 0.25ohm resistance. The pins on the mosfet protrude much more than on other mosfet pins and it's not interchangeable with other mosfets. Stock up on spare mosfets because you will need them eventually. Every time you remove the battery the mosfet requires you to click the fire bar 3 times to switch it on. This is a major con for me.

Next we come to the tubes and battery caps. For 18650 mode connect the two tubes and use the designated 18650 battery cap which has an internal screw for manual adjustment. For 18350 mode use the top tube and the battery cap which doesn't have the internal adjustment screw. A cheap metal washer is provided in order to adjust the screw. Threading on all the tubes and caps are clean but not very smooth. The walls of the tubes are very thin and the side fire bar is barely noticeable as it doesn't protrude out more than 0.5mm at the top. The Ambition name and fire button symbol on the fire bar aren't deeply engraved and combined with the smooth cerakote finish it makes it even more difficult to find it without looking for it. The bar has very little travel, produces a clicky response when it activates the mosfet but it's barely noticeable by either touch or sound. It's comfortable in the hand in both 18650 and 18350 mode.

Performance wise it's average. The mosfet delivers a constant voltage output of 3.5V and cuts off at 3.3V. The 3.3V cut off is another major con for me.

The only things I like about this mod are the looks and the comfortable feel in the hand. Would I pay $30 for it again or even the $43 asking price, no. There are better similar mods available. This one will be cleaned, placed back in it's box, shelved and sold later on.

Package contents

18350 mode with a 22mm Haku Riviera rdta and Venna PC cap

18650 mode with a 24mm Reload S rda

Edited on 8/27/2019 at 8:02 AM. Reason:
#2 (permalink)      8/27/2019 3:02:02 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
SambaBugatti
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 447
  • Reviews 61
  • Kudos329
+1 details
Thanks DJ, nice Review, You forgot to mention 1 Point: Tubes are a little bit to short. You're right with all the other Things You mentioned, but You're Verdict is in my Opinion to hard. For Example: I like the constant 3.5 Volt firing and for me it is also okay that it shuts down at 3.3 Volt. Even in 18350 Mode You get a long and really constant vaping Time in MTL. But the Button Issue is really as bad as You say. You have to remember the Position to Your RTA Airflow or other Details on Your RTA to find it without searching. Overall Your Right, it is a little bit to expensive, but I still prefer it above the Atto or CThulhu, but Stratum still rules.
#3 (permalink)      8/27/2019 3:10:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
SambaBugatti wrote:

Thanks DJ, nice Review, You forgot to mention 1 Point: Tubes are a little bit to short. You're right with all the other Things You mentioned, but You're Verdict is in my Opinion to hard. For Example: I like the constant 3.5 Volt firing and for me it is also okay that it shuts down at 3.3 Volt. Even in 18350 Mode You get a long and really constant vaping Time in MTL. But the Button Issue is really as bad as You say. You have to remember the Position to Your RTA Airflow or other Details on Your RTA to find it without searching. Overall Your Right, it is a little bit to expensive, but I still prefer it above the Atto or CThulhu, but Stratum still rules.

The tubes on mine were the opposite. I had to unscrew the screw in 18650 mode and use a thin magnet in 18350 mode. It's the cut off at 3.3V that I don't like. I've come to the conclusion that I prefer full hybrid mech mods.

#4 (permalink)      8/27/2019 3:18:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
SambaBugatti
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 447
  • Reviews 61
  • Kudos329
that is interesting, hadn't thought that the Quality Control is so bad( Yeahhh, I know, Wismec and Smok, but I don't buy Products from them ). If Yours are too long there must be a Range from 2-3 mm. Unbelievable. You're Right with pure Mechanicals, no Mosfet can die, You can mostlxy fix every Issue, better use of Battery Power, etc. But a Mosfet Tube can be so comfortable.
#5 (permalink)      8/27/2019 3:34:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
Mine measures 89mm high in 18650 mode and 50mm high in 18350 mode without a battery inside. Don't forget batteries vary in length too, even from the same manufacturer.
#6 (permalink)      2/4/2022 8:23:18 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vukpavlovic74
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 77
  • Reviews 33
  • Kudos29
This one would not work without mosfet? You can not use it as full mechanical?
I guess not, but I am asking to make it sure...
#7 (permalink)      2/4/2022 7:22:39 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
+1 details
vukpavlovic74 wrote:

This one would not work without mosfet? You can not use it as full mechanical?
I guess not, but I am asking to make it sure...

Correct. It only works with the mosfet.

#8 (permalink)      2/9/2022 9:17:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vukpavlovic74
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 77
  • Reviews 33
  • Kudos29
+1 details
Never again will I ever buy mosfet controlled device. My Luna squonker got fried after sevaral days of usage - mosfets died because they got in contact with liquid.
@DJVILLAN
sorry for off - I see that you are living vaping encyclopedia - is there a way to revive my Luna? And thank you for fast and most valuable answers
#9 (permalink)      2/12/2022 1:23:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
You can get the Luna working again by replacing the mosfet. The mosfet in the Luna isn't round like in tube mods, it's on a square board and FT doesn't sell them. You could try contacting Ultroner for the mosfet and they might have some for sale.
#10 (permalink)      2/14/2022 8:26:36 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vukpavlovic74
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 77
  • Reviews 33
  • Kudos29
I asked them (before) but they didnt even bothered to answer.
Thanks again DJ.
Sorry for OFF.