Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Who choose this
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      1/2/2021 11:02:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896

B.C. Rich calls this "spalted maple" I believe, looks very similar.
What does he mean when he says words?
#12 (permalink)      1/2/2021 11:05:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2793
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2247
+1 details
djvillan wrote:

The wood is much darker than in FT's photos. I prefer the colour in FT's listing over the dark ones but these would be your preference.

I actually quite like the slightly darker-coloured wood. A bit less 'pine-y' than is usual from them. Just my subjective taste though.

It's twelve inches long, but don't use it as a rule...
#13 (permalink)      1/2/2021 11:10:03 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2311
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2029
+1 details
carrion4worm wrote:

Esselar, check into the Vicious Ant Club Omega...maybe that is "special" enough for you. it is a one of a kind design that is two plus years old and still no one has attempted to best it, despite the success it would have due to current market trends, AIOs, and such.

It's just an overpriced and over-bulky squonker with a locked-in atty, exactly the sort of "expensive but not special" I was talking about. Glad you think it's a viable place to throw your money at, but it's pretty much the opposite of what I think of as reasonable, let alone good.

#14 (permalink)      1/2/2021 11:14:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
carrion4worm wrote:

I grabbed a few of the mentioned mods for a quick line up....VA spade 21700, SXK SL GT clone, Lizard Mods Evo21, Ultroner(sxk) Alieno, and VA Club/Omega. Do I feel that the SXK products deserve to be in this lineup? Hell yes I say, though I might get kicked out of a few FaceBook groups lol.

Keep in mind as well that SXK does it, and does it very well, for less than half price of many of the originals. Why does overpaying equate to "high end" to many people?

If I was asked, I would say that entire row of mods is high end.

Just one collector's opinion, however.

I had the VA Spade 18650 with spare juma panels but sold them and bought a Lizard Mods Komodo and a Dicodes Dani. The VA was very well made but way over priced (US$650 inc shipping iirc). I have two Alieno's but I won't get to see them until I return home in two months depending on how the second wave pans out here in Oz.

SXK are charging too much and have been steadily increasing their prices lately with each new mod and atty clone they release and overcharging for accessories imo. 20% price of the authentic is fine but 40%-50% like this one, I'd rather buy the authentic which includes all four 510 rings in their price.

Edited on 1/2/2021 at 11:16 AM. Reason:
#15 (permalink)      1/2/2021 11:29:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896
essellar wrote:

carrion4worm wrote:
Esselar, check into the Vicious Ant Club Omega...maybe that is "special" enough for you. it is a one of a kind design that is two plus years old and still no one has attempted to best it, despite the success it would have due to current market trends, AIOs, and such.
It's just an overpriced and over-bulky squonker with a locked-in atty, exactly the sort of "expensive but not special" I was talking about. Glad you think it's a viable place to throw your money at, but it's pretty much the opposite of what I think of as reasonable, let alone good.

the word was "special"...I'd love to hear what is special to you, what mod is your dream/steam engine? I mean, it's so easy to poo-poo on what you don't have, just because you dont have it. The Omega is 4mm shorter and 1.5mm thicker than a Billet, feels the same in hand. definitely not "bulky", it's just a hair wider than the Luna squonk, as another reference.

#16 (permalink)      1/2/2021 11:41:06 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
You don't have to own something to have an opinion about it. Many other factors come into making a decision about a mod or atty. Looks, price, form, functionality, vaping style, chip set, mosfet or mech, etc.
#17 (permalink)      1/2/2021 11:51:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896
analogueman wrote:
[quote]djvillan wrote:
The wood is much darker than in FT's photos. I prefer the colour in FT's listing over the dark ones but these would be your preference.
I actually quite like the slightly darker-coloured wood. A bit less 'pine-y' than is usual from them. Just my subjective taste though.[/quotedjvillan wrote:

carrion4worm wrote:I grabbed a few of the mentioned mods for a quick line up....VA spade 21700, SXK SL GT clone, Lizard Mods Evo21, Ultroner(sxk) Alieno, and VA Club/Omega. Do I feel that the SXK products deserve to be in this lineup? Hell yes I say, though I might get kicked out of a few FaceBook groups lol.Keep in mind as well that SXK does it, and does it very well, for less than half price of many of the originals. Why does overpaying equate to "high end" to many people? If I was asked, I would say that entire row of mods is high end.Just one collector's opinion, however.I had the VA Spade 18650 with spare juma panels but sold them and bought a Lizard Mods Komodo and a Dicodes Dani. The VA was very well made but way over priced (US$650 inc shipping iirc). I have two Alieno's but I won't get to see them until I return home in two months depending on how the second wave pans out here in Oz.SXK are charging too much and have been steadily increasing their prices lately with each new mod and atty clone they release and overcharging for accessories imo. 20% price of the authentic is fine but 40%-50% like this one, I'd rather buy the authentic which includes all four 510 rings in their price.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Just kidding, but I agree about the accessories, they are high...and I carried this concern to SXK a couple weeks ago.
Their response was, "they are risky to make a lot" because "mod must sell first" and "many people don't even buy" that's my synopsis, anyway...

I see what they're saying basically...but other than greed on their end, remember people that shop here and buy clones, etc., have been blind to what the rest pays--hell, remember that 100.00 Smok mod at the local B&M? So, our job is to navigate all this and make the choice that works for us. I've never paid over 450.00 for any mod brand new, and that was a Vicious Ant product, The Omega. I see a mod like the Scuderia, above, and see a great deal, for virtually a 1 to 1 clone of a 1-off mod, and others see a old skool overpriced p.o.s. so, that 15.00 battery tube that we think is expensive is really the product of our "clone mentality"- not that it's wrong, but it does skew our view...especially when that same tube by Sunbox, etc, would be 75.00

#18 (permalink)      1/2/2021 12:11:23 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
carrion4worm wrote:

Pics or it didn't happen!

Just kidding, but I agree about the accessories, they are high...and I carried this concern to SXK a couple weeks ago.
Their response was, "they are risky to make a lot" because "mod must sell first" and "many people don't even buy" that's my synopsis, anyway...

I see what they're saying basically...but other than greed on their end, remember people that shop here and buy clones, etc., have been blind to what the rest pays--hell, remember that 100.00 Smok mod at the local B&M? So, our job is to navigate all this and make the choice that works for us. I've never paid over 450.00 for any mod brand new, and that was a Vicious Ant product, The Omega. I see a mod like the Scuderia, above, and see a great deal, for virtually a 1 to 1 clone of a 1-off mod, and others see a old skool overpriced p.o.s. so, that 15.00 battery tube that we think is expensive is really the product of our "clone mentality"- not that it's wrong, but it does skew our view...especially when that same tube by Sunbox, etc, would be 75.00

I fell for the looks of the VA initially then realised I don't want to spend that much money on one mod again. I was new to the vaping scene, now five years later I know better and while I can afford to buy high end mods at high end prices, I prefer not to. That money can be better spent elsewhere.

Not everyone here can afford them like you and I and not everyone wants or needs them. They may have limited budgets or other priorities and that's ok.

#19 (permalink)      1/2/2021 1:14:16 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896
Yeah, but if I was a "car" guy, I wouldn't hate on Ferrari, just because I could not afford one. This is a vaping forum, you would think the people here would like vaping...

@DJ- yeah, 600 is way too much. should have paid 500 max with the extra panels, 400 if it was a mech.
#20 (permalink)      1/2/2021 2:44:15 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2793
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2247
+2 details
djvillan wrote:

...and while I can afford to buy high end mods at high end prices, I prefer not to. That money can be better spent elsewhere.

I didn't ever start down that 'high cost' road myself. But for a very different reason.

I simply found the expected loops one is expected to jump through to be even remotely in with a chance of obtaining some so-called HEMOs absolutely ludicrous. Vaping kit is a consumer product. And as a consumer, if I can't just buy it, then they can poke it up their backsides!

Scott Bonner and his TurnWoodFX mod making company is a prime example of how it should be done.

On the other hand, there are those who shadow themselves away on hidden social media pages, where one can only join if verified by at least three other members, then once in a while a list opens for a few hours where names are randomly drawn for a chance to go into a raffle where a few might be fortunate to get to buy an £800 stab wood that (to me) looks like a petrified turd! Really? I don't think so. Life's too short!

It's twelve inches long, but don't use it as a rule...
#21 (permalink)      1/2/2021 4:25:20 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896
People here cry about packages being a week late, there's no way they would pony up a 200 deposit just for the pleasure of being put on a waitlist...

Edit - I was confused, Turnwood FX probably works much the same way however. I was referring to FYNE mods, who , in my opinion, make the best mods on this planet. Fyne is different, in that every mod is an original designed by the customer. Turnwood has several models pre-planned to choose from, with customer input on the wood/resin, and I'm sure flourishes here and there...

I am "on the list" and have paid my deposit, with an estimated 5-6 months before Matt, the sole builder, starts on mine...of course I've already got it designed lol! People should check out his mods, they are gorgeous, one of a kind, and pretty ingenious at times....

users here should pay special attention to his stabwood dual 21 with the Topside bottle system! many videos on YT as well as Instagram

But as far as production mods from FB modders, I dont do the X!s and waffles...but usually money talks and bullshit walks, so if anyone is looking for something they think is unobtainable: Get your money right, then I promise you'll get that mod you want. They make people jump through hoops because of high bullshit levels! Everybody "wants that" until it's time to pay!