shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Status..??
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.
Thread Tools Rate This Thread


Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      7/24/2021 8:52:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
carrion4worm
Member
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3586
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos2252
+1 details
No flag-waving from me, I just figured I'd help you out, because To Tony you probably sound like an asshole that's not being entirely honest....and since someone can't possibly be ignorant AND an expert on the subject, I interjected...like we do in forums, not to irritate you, but to understand.

Now, if you continue this route by saying you don't know who Tom Cruise is, or aren't aware of "The Godfather" or "Rocky", then I'll promptly shut up!

See, you didn't just say "it wasn't for you"...so said you were not aware it existed...which is why this entire forum collectively gasped....

because everybody knows what Seinfeld is/was. Germans, Russians, Australians... It's just...a little odd, that's all.
What does he mean when he says words?
#22 (permalink)      7/24/2021 9:04:28 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
carrion4worm
Member
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3586
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos2252
+1 details
And, no Tony. "Seinfeld" is not "Jewish" humor. It's just simple, "observational" humor, for a broad base, even incorporating elements of slapstick at times (Kramer). Saying the show is based on Jewish humor sends the mind in a completely different direction....this is a simple comedy "about nothing"!
What does he mean when he says words?
#23 (permalink)      7/24/2021 9:16:40 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
Still.Me
Member
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 11571
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos17807
+1 details
Having grown up in a jewish neighbourhood and being the token shiksa, having a jewish aunt that survived the holocaust as a child, going to a jewish school, having predominantly jewish friends, not to mention a 35 year relationship with a jew, I would have to say its very much Jewish humour, Seinfeld.


Only one concerned about the negativity of racism 24/7 could possibly deny that.


Decoding Seinfeld’s Jewishness

This nature and extent of Seinfeld’s Jewishness remains subject to debate, given the fact that out of the four principal characters—Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer—Jerry Seinfeld is the only one explicitly identified as Jewish. Adding to this is the paucity of Jews, Judaism, and Jewish stories in the show.

This chapter argues that Seinfeld is a situation comedy infused with a so-called implicit Jewishness. It tacitly alludes to Jewishness at multiple levels and in a sophisticated manner: through comic strategy, narrative techniques, linguistic inflections, and dialogue the immediate origins of which stem from Yiddish culture but extend further back into the talmudic discourse that had framed normative Judaism for centuries; through Jewish stereotypes, rooted in physical markers, gestures, movements, and behavior; and through the selective use of explicitly Jewish characters, plotlines, and vocabulary on a few but carefully chosen occasions.

The show is “double coded,” written and performed in a way that could be read as Jewish by those who recognize the signposts and idioms.

#24 (permalink)      7/24/2021 9:25:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
carrion4worm
Member
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3586
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos2252
+1 details
People who are not "Jew obsessed", like me, would never think anything was really "Jewish" about that show, except for the "parents visit" episodes....I assume that's what you are talking about, because as usual, you over-generalize the hell out of everything and everybody, making it hard to tell when you are being truthful, or doing your normal routine.

(One post up, when I said "saying "Jewish Humor" sends the mind in a different direction." I was referring to comments like one above. ...no, IF you aren't Jew knowledgeable, you are fine watching "Seinfeld"...there are no yamakas and no Rabbis anywhere, and Jerry doesn't eat Kosher.)

Edited on 7/24/2021 at 9:38 AM. Reason:
What does he mean when he says words?
#25 (permalink)      7/24/2021 9:44:51 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
Still.Me
Member
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 11571
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos17807
+1 details
carrion4worm wrote:

there are no yamakas and no Rabbis anywhere, and Jerry doesn't eat Kosher.




WTF? So jews must wear a kippah, have a rabbi nearby or eat kosher, otherwise they are not a jew? 😂



Sorry but you are wrong. Seinfeld was very much jewish humour in almost every aspect. The double coded jokes were throughout the show.

I would have to suggest that someone unable to see that has not spent much time with jews.


Edited on 7/24/2021 at 9:45 AM. Reason:
#26 (permalink)      7/24/2021 9:56:33 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
carrion4worm
Member
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3586
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos2252
+1 details
Your own book quote, above seems to say the opposite. Better research needed...maybe, watch the actual show, then give me a joke that is "Jewish humor", instead of just "humor".

Literally, in the first line of your quote, it says "the paucity of jews, jewish...in the stories"

I know "paucity" is an unusual word, but it means "in inconsequential amounts"

You are always race-obsessed, Still.Me, you don't have to keep going around saying it.

Edited on 7/24/2021 at 10:10 AM. Reason:
What does he mean when he says words?
#27 (permalink)      7/24/2021 10:03:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
Still.Me
Member
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 11571
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos17807
+1 details
It clearly shows the debate centered around this subject but all you could land on was the episode about parents, the most humorous but stereotypical to the point of absurdity and somehow that was the one piece you recognized as jewish humour.


With all due respect, I only have to see your photo to grasp that its highly unlikely you have spent much time with Jews.

Give it a rest. Any jew themselves will tell you that it was a show based upon jewish humour even if you were unable to see it or refuse to because it might be RACIST of you to do so.

Bloody moron. 🤣




Seinfeld’ to ‘2,000-Year-Old Man’: 15 Top Moments in Jewish Comedy Chosen by Museum of the Jewish People The Museum of the Jewish People at Beit Hatfutsot has selected a list of the 15 greatest moments in the history of Jewish comedy.

Edited on 7/24/2021 at 10:07 AM. Reason:
#28 (permalink)      7/24/2021 10:29:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
carrion4worm
Member
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3586
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos2252
Call me a moron AFTER I bested you, AGAIN. With all due respect, eat a dick! (and get a dictionary)

P.S. Just common sense for me, but I see you missed the fact that your book was titled Jerry: DECODING JEWISHNESS.

Usually, if you have to "decode" something, it's because it's not visible or recognizable in it's current, CODED, state.
Just a heads up for the next book you pull quotes from that you haven't read.

Sounds like you really haven't watched the show in a while, either. Remember the time George didn't want to lose his high score on Frogger, so he tried to run an extension cord across the street so the unit wouldn't lose power and reset the scores? That was funny, sooo Jewish, though.

Edited on 7/24/2021 at 10:31 AM. Reason:
What does he mean when he says words?
#29 (permalink)      7/24/2021 10:56:43 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
analogueman
Member
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2371
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1874
+1 details
carrion4worm wrote:

No flag-waving from me, I just figured I'd help you out...


But you're not. I've already said, US media is MEANINGLESS TO ME. It's as straightforward as that. End of. Can't make it any clearer. :)

It's twelve inches long, but don't use it as a rule...
#30 (permalink)      7/24/2021 11:08:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
Member
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 253
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos248
+2 details
analogueman wrote:

carrion4worm wrote:
No flag-waving from me, I just figured I'd help you out...
But you're not. I've already said, US media is MEANINGLESS TO ME. It's as straightforward as that. End of. Can't make it any clearer. :)



Don't even try to explain mate. Some people simply don't understand that US media isn't the world's media.

#31 (permalink)      7/24/2021 11:22:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
Still.Me
Member
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 11571
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos17807
+2 details
carrion4worm wrote:

Usually, if you have to "decode" something, it's because it's not visible or recognizable in it's current, CODED, state.



For one that considers himself far superior intellectually than others, you are as dumb as they come sometimes.


"double coded"




BTW British television had far more going for it than Hollywood.

Bye Bye Hollywood, hello Australian TV.


Edited on 7/24/2021 at 11:24 AM. Reason: