Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Gasket issues
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      6/6/2022 8:30:58 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Torkpork
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 35
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos13
Gasket issues
I'm relatively new to boro tanks, most things I have used previously are self-contained(qbix, alien, vessel), so I don't know if I'm missing something obvious.

i can't get the glass to slide up without the gasket becoming very distorted and popping out with huge kinks. This is with white that was already fitted and with the red spare. No amount of lubrication with VG helps.

I realised I had a "stock" boro that came with a sxk billet box and I messed around with that, the difference is night and day.

#2 (permalink)      6/6/2022 9:14:03 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
njrmayo
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2020
  • Posts 296
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos113
Ugh, that's no good at all. This is my main gripe with stock boro tanks, but the stock SXK one has given me no issues with the stock gasket or the black replacement BB gasket I bought from BilliBilli. So no matter what you do, with the glass off, you can't get that gasket to sit flat and nice, then lube up the top of it before sliding the glass on?

Edited on 6/6/2022 at 9:14 AM
#3 (permalink)      6/6/2022 10:08:49 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Torkpork
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 35
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos13
I can get the gaskets to look like they are seated really well. I went around them with a hook/pick and a magnifier, plenty of lubrication. As soon as the glass gets roughly halfway the problems start. Using a pick and inching the glass up, trying to get the gasket to stay flat/seated is the best I could manage and shown in the pictures. Without all the effort, I can't get the glass anywhere close to the top.

I put in more effort than was probably sensible... but it turned into some sort of puzzle I was trying to solve.
#4 (permalink)      6/6/2022 11:33:28 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896
+2 details
You should, when getting a new boro, slide down the glass gently about 1/3 of the way, and apply juice. Work the glass back up slowly, lubricating the silicone, and gradually moving the glass further down each time, until fully lubricated.

And, as I mentioned just a day or two ago in another thread - removing gaskets is a bad idea, never remove them and expect a simple process...most times, it won't be a happy occasion.

Good luck, many Chinese made gaskets are thin and wimpy, and the "fingers" along each side that should hold it in place don't do a good job. You'll have better luck next time!

EDIT: I know OP mentioned using "lots of lubrication", but those photos are pretty dry, and definitely not heavily lubricated, for the intent being discussed...they need to be wet, slippery, and slimy!

Edited on 6/6/2022 at 11:40 AM
What does he mean when he says words?
#5 (permalink)      6/6/2022 12:43:50 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 16424
  • Reviews 395
  • Kudos29898
Once they get completely deformed, you won't have much chance to put them on place...If you haven't already lost some legs, try to soak it in water for a day, maybe it'd regain its original form and elasticity. (that works with square gaskets on RBAs at least)

While in the past (several years ago), I didn't have bigger issues to replace some red gaskets on the SXK boros to black SXK ones, some days ago I received some acrylic tanks and - by my mistake - 2 packs of BRC gaskets. So I had a similar amusement as yours. (#10 post) Then found my last SXK spares in the drawer, and managed to end the game. On one tank. The second one, didn't even try... These are very week quality.

Edited on 6/6/2022 at 12:47 PM
#6 (permalink)      6/6/2022 12:48:45 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 16424
  • Reviews 395
  • Kudos29898
But your second pic... it may be still doable, just follow carrion's suggestions.

Edited on 6/6/2022 at 12:51 PM
#7 (permalink)      6/6/2022 12:55:07 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
njrmayo
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2020
  • Posts 296
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos113
carrion4worm wrote:

You should, when getting a new boro, slide down the glass gently about 1/3 of the way, and apply juice. Work the glass back up slowly, lubricating the silicone, and gradually moving the glass further down each time, until fully lubricated.And, as I mentioned just a day or two ago in another thread - removing gaskets is a bad idea, never remove them and expect a simple process...most times, it won't be a happy occasion.Good luck, many Chinese made gaskets are thin and wimpy, and the "fingers" along each side that should hold it in place don't do a good job. You'll have better luck next time!EDIT: I know OP mentioned using "lots of lubrication", but those photos are pretty dry, and definitely not heavily lubricated, for the intent being discussed...they need to be wet, slippery, and slimy!

Agreed, I don't see any liquid on them really. Lube them fuckers up and use your tweezers to get each finger back into its hole and put more liquid on the door before attempting to put it back on.

#8 (permalink)      6/7/2022 9:21:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 16424
  • Reviews 395
  • Kudos29898
When I take a pic about some issues, I kind of clean up the mess before it. Maybe just that... ;-)
#9 (permalink)      6/7/2022 9:22:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
njrmayo
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2020
  • Posts 296
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos113
cilika wrote:

When I take a pic about some issues, I kind of clean up the mess before it. Maybe just that... ;-)

Ah yeah good point, my wife always wonders why I do that as well with her =D

#10 (permalink)      6/7/2022 9:25:43 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 16424
  • Reviews 395
  • Kudos29898
njrmayo wrote:

Ah yeah good point, my wife always wonders why I do that as well with her =D

Be careful with the photos, anyway =)