shopping cart empty
Ever seen an external card reader with card ejection mechanism?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      8/17/2020 6:42:08 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2621
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1071
Ever seen an external card reader with card ejection mechanism?
I don't really know and care about other cards, but embedded CF interfaces have button and lever ejector and both common embedded SD - spring and pawl. And guess what? I went thru whole bunch of expensive cardreaders and none of them have CF ejector... they might have SD ejector which isnt visible on listing photos but still. Not even on luxury ProGrade with price tag so ridiculous what it would be insulting to cite here! Do such readers exist at all?!
The answer to 1984 is 1973 § Panasonic or Samsung - that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.
#2 (permalink)      8/18/2020 1:08:08 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2282
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1984
Everything I have that uses a CF ejector also bury the CF card, leaving you nothing to pull on. All of the external readers I have will give you plenty of finger purchase on the card. You'd probably need to find a ruggedized device intended for CF-format microdiscs, but they'd be USB 1 if they're USB at all - they'd be more likely to be PCMCIA or SCSI. (Remember when 1GB meant a thousand+ dollars worth of teeny-tiny spinning rust?)
#3 (permalink)      8/18/2020 8:28:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2621
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1071
essellar wrote:

bury the CF card

What do you mean by that? Any specific damage caused? Electrical or mechanical?

essellar wrote:

to find a ruggedized device intended for CF-format microdiscs

Chances are near 0 for that I think since Microdrive got discontinued in 2007 or 2008.

The answer to 1984 is 1973 § Panasonic or Samsung - that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.
#4 (permalink)      8/18/2020 8:33:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2282
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1984
I mean the card goes all the way into the device in such a way that there's no way to just grab it and pull. The card is buried in the device, not sticking out. If you're looking for an external device where the "card" is fully enclosed, that role has been taken over by swappable SSD. Your use case basically doesn't exist anymore (except in the wishes of Canon camera users).

Edited on 8/18/2020 at 8:39 AM. Reason:
#5 (permalink)      8/18/2020 11:34:03 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2621
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1071
Hmm, I think this is device/vendor specific, I have slots with card edge completely hidden, sticks out a bit, sticks out a little but under additional cover and even sticks out more or less significantly, like Cisco makes it. Actually it is possible to pull the card out "manually" in the latter case (but why someone would bother to do that while having handy ejector?)

essellar wrote:

If you're looking for an external device where the "card" is fully enclosed, that role has been taken over by swappable SSD. Your use case basically doesn't exist anymore (except in the wishes of Canon camera users).

Not really this, my case specifically is to have "desktop" style card reader which doesn't trade convenience for smaller size, so I don't have to grab the reader to carefully pull the card out, just push the button and take the card.

Edited on 8/18/2020 at 11:35 AM. Reason: