E-commerce - buying and selling of goods and services online (EU changes June 26th)
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      7/1/2021 4:18:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2985
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2423
+1 details
Abdul wrote:

Unfortunately they are left behind

Not particularly. If they don't, the onus will simply be on the consumer to pay the duty when it arrives at the destination EU member state, much as it's always been.

It's twelve inches long, but don't use it as a rule...
#12 (permalink)      7/1/2021 6:15:43 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cmj55
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 7467
  • Reviews 122
  • Kudos30726
+1 details
analogueman wrote:

Not particularly. If they don't, the onus will simply be on the consumer to pay the duty when it arrives at the destination EU member state, much as it's always been.

Using that method you do/will have to pay the shipper to declare the goods at customs then collect and pay the tax.
This is an extra cost which won't be necessary if FastTech registers with one EU country and pays all the EU tax due to that single country. The EU country that FT registers with then distributes the tax to the relevant country.

A significant advantage of FT registering for VAT in the EU with the IOSS system is for FT customers the possibility of price transparancy at the point of sale.

#13 (permalink)      7/1/2021 6:36:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2985
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2423
cmj55 wrote:

Using that method you do/will have to pay the shipper to declare the goods at customs then collect and pay the tax.

True, but one also benefits from the fact that lots of stuff** slips under the radar. :)

** The amount varies from country to country, and doesn't include shipping through courier companies.

#14 (permalink)      7/1/2021 7:34:03 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cmj55
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 7467
  • Reviews 122
  • Kudos30726
analogueman wrote:

True, but one also benefits from the fact that lots of stuff** slips under the radar. :)

Yes that has always been the case. I get the impression that the removal of the €22 tax free threshold is a quite significant change. When every package requires either documentation or declaring I would expect little to escape notice but time will tell.

#15 (permalink)      7/1/2021 8:15:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2985
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2423
cmj55 wrote:

Yes that has always been the case. I get the impression that the removal of the €22 tax free threshold is a quite significant change. When every package requires either documentation or declaring I would expect little to escape notice but time will tell.

Indeed yes. And it's almost identical outside the EU here in the UK, with similar legislation introduced at the start of this year. Personally, for us at least, I predict people will notice very little change (i.e. most stuff will still slip in unmolested for the time being.)

#16 (permalink)      7/1/2021 10:14:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airwinny
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 8830
  • Reviews 224
  • Kudos31718
+3 details
cmj55 wrote:

This is an extra cost which won't be necessary if FastTech registers with one EU country and pays all the EU tax due to that single country. The EU country that FT registers with then distributes the tax to the relevant country.

A significant advantage of FT registering for VAT in the EU with the IOSS system is for FT customers the possibility of price transparancy at the point of sale.

Exactly. I don't really mind the taxes, but I do mind the extra costs the shipper will charge me; for small orders that almost doubles the price, which makes shopping here rather useless for now, for me at least.

Already started today with DHL charging me 12 euros on a 30 GBP flavour order from the UK. This'll soon annoy me so much that I'll only be buying from companies who registered for VAT in the EU.

Edited on 7/1/2021 at 10:16 AM. Reason:
#17 (permalink)      7/1/2021 11:23:17 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2985
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2423
+1 details
airwinny wrote:

Already started today with DHL charging me 12 euros on a 30 GBP flavour order from the UK. This'll soon annoy me so much that I'll only be buying from companies who registered for VAT in the EU.

Ouch!

Yeah, I've no opinion one way or another what they do with EU shipping, given courier companies endeavor to profit from charges levied/collected.

However, I'd prefer if vendors didn't follow suit with the UK and their recent (similar) VAT legislation.

#18 (permalink)      7/1/2021 12:16:58 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cmj55
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 7467
  • Reviews 122
  • Kudos30726
+2 details
airwinny wrote:

.Exactly. I don't really mind the taxes, but I do mind the extra costs the shipper will charge me; for small orders that almost doubles the price, which makes shopping here rather useless for now, for me at least.Already started today with DHL charging me 12 euros on a 30 GBP flavour order from the UK. This'll soon annoy me so much that I'll only be buying from companies who registered for VAT in the EU.

I intend to try to do the same and buy only from EU VAt registered sellers. At least then I'll know exactly what the real price is at the point of sale with no surprises later.