Jumping on the convoy bandwagon, opinions?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      2/18/2018 11:43:50 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airbagz
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 3183
  • Reviews 13
  • Kudos3263
+2 details
Maglite also has great support.

About 3 years ago I found an old 4 X C cell flashlight that I bought about 30~35 years ago and had completely forgotten about. (Thankfully there were no batteries in it. Can you imagine the corrosion after all that time?) The switch would only work sometimes, so I called them, then took it to one of their repair centers not far from me. It didn't cost me a penny.

If they were to get competitive (technology wise and price wise) I'd probably be one of their best customers.
I just need one more flashlight. Just one. Honestly. :D
#12 (permalink)      2/18/2018 11:53:43 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airbagz
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 3183
  • Reviews 13
  • Kudos3263
+2 details

I'll have to go back and check but I think the one I linked is supposed already have an AR lens. Are you saying grab spares?

You're right. It does come with an AR lens. It might not hurt to have a spare if you use it a lot and drop it every so often, but I've had a LOT of flashlights and don't remember ever breaking a single lens. Of course now that I've said that... :)

#13 (permalink)      2/18/2018 12:12:58 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
neo71665
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2188
  • Reviews 52
  • Kudos1455
+1 details
Yeah they were phasing the maglites out about the time I joined. I'm not knocking them for being bullet proof. I think they just shot their self in the foot by not adopting anything new for way too long. It took them forever to produce nicad rechargeable and by the time they started perfecting it that tech was going out the door.

When I first got into lights (before I knew better about cheaper imports). It was maglite vs streamlight. Streamlight biggest selling points was they were everything maglite refused to adopt at the time. The maglite rechargeable was like $200+ with either ac or dc cradle and streamlight was lighter, shorter, and $150 with both cradles. Even if you had no use for the ac cradle you go for the more extras for cheaper. I think the police depts kept using maglights because they liked the weight to use as billy clubs.

airbagz wrote:

I'll have to go back and check but I think the one I linked is supposed already have an AR lens. Are you saying grab spares?

You're right. It does come with an AR lens. It might not hurt to have a spare if you use it a lot and drop it every so often, but I've had a LOT of flashlights and don't remember ever breaking a single lens. Of course now that I've said that... :)

My biggest problem I had was with the plastic lens it got scratched all to crap even hanging on my pocket. Now the sk98 was never a great thrower but it did hurt that bad. Worked great as diffusion. I did find a replacement glass lens for it but it changed the focal point real bad. Made it super floody, far too much for my liking.

I do understand I've never lost a light until now. I haven't been able to place it for a week now so I've gave up hope. The little sk68 just aint cutting it like it used to.

Edited on 2/18/2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason:
My opinions are my own. If you disagree with them please take a big healthy crap in your hands and give yourself a round of applause.
#14 (permalink)      2/18/2018 12:24:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
OlaAmund
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 660
  • Reviews 38
  • Kudos257
+3 details
Also if you want a more warmer tint SKU 7681703 or even warmer SKU 7681603 is options you should think about. If you want longer runtimes you might want to look at SKU 7681700 . The SKU 4594500 is included with all these lights. if you want to use 18350 batteries to get a shorter light you must have SKU 9265500 . If you want a wide even flood and dont care if you loose some throw SKU 1574903 ,you have to remove the white part to fit it in. Also be aware that the metal and the rubber switces have different diameter holes and is not compatible without a adapter ring. And last if you want the Biscotti firmware you have to order directly from Simon (Convoy himself) on ali.

Edited on 2/18/2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typo
#15 (permalink)      2/18/2018 12:51:21 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
neo71665
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2188
  • Reviews 52
  • Kudos1455
+1 details
OlaAmund wrote:

Also if you want a more warmer tint SKU 7681703 or even warmer SKU 7681603 is options you should think about. If you want longer runtimes you might want to look at SKU 7681700 . The SKU 4594500 is included with all these lights. if you want to use 18350 batteries to get a shorter light you must have SKU 9265500 . If you want a wide even flood and dont care if you loose some throw SKU 1574903 ,you have to remove the white part to fit it in. Also be aware that the metal and the rubber switces have different diameter holes and is not compatible without a adapter ring. And last if you want the Biscotti firmware you have to order directly from Simon (Convoy himself) on ali.

I'm the oddball that really doesn't like more yellow tints. I know they are supposed to represent more natural colors in the grass, trees, and so forth. I have eye issues and I find them harsh.

The extra clip is just package stuffing to get closer to the free shipping. The switches are more or less the same. If I don't creep up on it I know I'll have like $5 to go and end up buying something stupid for way way more (like vape gear I don't need).

Thanks for pointing out the adapter ring, I did not know. I do have a lathe and mill so unless it's super complicated (a very amateur machinist) I should be able to figure it out in under 15 tries for a few bucks in materials. One of these days I have high hopes of getting better and copying a design I like in stainless or titanium but first comes the getting better part. I've tried in aluminum and well just say I tried. My thread cutting skills leaves a ton to be desired.

The new firmware is interesting (I really like the tan color they came out with) but I have some raffle winnings burning a hole I need to use before I forget and lose. Might have to wait and replace the diver. My luck even if I did order the new version as soon as the package shipped a newer one would release anyways.

Thanks

Edited on 2/18/2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason:
My opinions are my own. If you disagree with them please take a big healthy crap in your hands and give yourself a round of applause.
#16 (permalink)      2/18/2018 1:03:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airbagz
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 3183
  • Reviews 13
  • Kudos3263
+3 details

Also if you want a more warmer tint SKU 7681703 or even warmer SKU 7681603

Warmer tints are nice, but they will make a light run even hotter if driven with the same driver as this one (2.8A) because they're less efficient and more of the current goes to making heat instead of light. The warmer the tint, the hotter the light.

Some people on the flashlight forums won't buy/use cooler tints because things like trees and bushes and grass look better with warm tints.

I'm 70 years old, been collecting flashlights for close to 8 years now, and can't remember ever taking any of my lights outside at night to look at foliage. Of course maybe I'm just weird that way. lol

#17 (permalink)      2/18/2018 1:24:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
neo71665
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2188
  • Reviews 52
  • Kudos1455
+3 details
airbagz wrote:

Also if you want a more warmer tint SKU 7681703 or even warmer SKU 7681603

Warmer tints are nice, but they will make a light run even hotter if driven with the same driver as this one (2.8A) because they're less efficient and more of the current goes to making heat instead of light. The warmer the tint, the hotter the light.

Some people on the flashlight forums won't buy/use cooler tints because things like trees and bushes and grass look better with warm tints.

I'm 70 years old, been collecting flashlights for close to 8 years now, and can't remember ever taking any of my lights outside at night to look at foliage. Of course maybe I'm just weird that way. lol

We know who camos up to go smell the neighbors roses at midnight, lol

#18 (permalink)      2/18/2018 2:02:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airbagz
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 3183
  • Reviews 13
  • Kudos3263
+2 details

I'm the oddball that really doesn't like more yellow tints. I know they are supposed to represent more natural colors in the grass, trees, and so forth.

I was in the middle of my post above but got distracted for a while so I didn't see that you had already mentioned about the greenery.

I was a little surprised that you knew about that stuff. Most people don't know about flashlight tints and natural colors etc. Hell, most people that use any of my lights can't understand that there's more than 1 mode and tell me there's something wrong with it, because it got dimmer or started flashing/blinking while they were using it. I've explained that up front but very few people pay attention and just assume that it's just on/off like the old flashlight (most likely a Maglite) they have at home.

#19 (permalink)      2/18/2018 5:38:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
neo71665
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2188
  • Reviews 52
  • Kudos1455
+2 details
airbagz wrote:

I'm the oddball that really doesn't like more yellow tints. I know they are supposed to represent more natural colors in the grass, trees, and so forth.

I was in the middle of my post above but got distracted for a while so I didn't see that you had already mentioned about the greenery.

I was a little surprised that you knew about that stuff. Most people don't know about flashlight tints and natural colors etc. Hell, most people that use any of my lights can't understand that there's more than 1 mode and tell me there's something wrong with it, because it got dimmer or started flashing/blinking while they were using it. I've explained that up front but very few people pay attention and just assume that it's just on/off like the old flashlight (most likely a Maglite) they have at home.

I'm not near into it like I used to be but I was a minor light hound at one time. I modded the crap out of 3 sk98s (dad has one, son has a 2nd, and I had last) and got a few pretty heavily modded pills for a 502 I have. I just got away from lights and went back to off road buggies and engines for the last 2 or 3 years. Wasn't exactly sure of the latest advancements while I was gone. Figured if I was starting over with a new light I might as well ask somebody that has kept up with it better.

I'm on candlepower forum but they are a bunch of elitist so I tend to shy away from posting anything over there. I couldn't remember my BLF password so that why I asked here. I knew there were a handful of you guys on here that knew your stuff.

#20 (permalink)      2/18/2018 11:27:22 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
neo71665
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2188
  • Reviews 52
  • Kudos1455
+1 details
I'm ordering the sand. I liked the color since 2016 when they teased us with the pictures of the anno samples on BLF and since I'm finally ordering one I might as well finally get it.

Now if they will hurry up and get back to normal operating status I'll place the order. Might order the other one and play Frankenstein with them to get the setup I want. My son can always play with the other one if I don't change my mind again.

*EDIT*
I'm gonna just order from Simon on his AE store and use the BLF 15% discount. Bonus of getting more features than I'll ever use with the biscotti firmware. FT screwed the pooch not having all the options here.

Edited on 2/19/2018 at 4:33 AM. Reason:
#21 (permalink)      2/19/2018 3:08:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pondez
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 225
  • Reviews 115
  • Kudos205
+1 details
Thanks a heap OlaAmund SKU 1574903 is the exact thing i was suggesting.

Been looking for some of those for a long time for the s2+ and the Boruit RJ - 02