shopping cart empty
Jumping on the convoy bandwagon, opinions?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      2/19/2018 3:08:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pondez
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 225
  • Reviews 115
  • Kudos205
+1 details
Thanks a heap OlaAmund SKU 1574903 is the exact thing i was suggesting.

Been looking for some of those for a long time for the s2+ and the Boruit RJ - 02
#22 (permalink)      2/19/2018 6:21:23 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
eric1848
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 1728
  • Reviews 210
  • Kudos1834
+1 details
LED tail switch SKU 9627747 is good for spare,
and SKU 7569100 is perfect size holster for S2+
SMPL, eGo AIO and Pico with SS316 coil is my daily combo on 2016. I Quit smoking for years and very enjoying vaping MaxVG now @YVR... Vape safe mate:D
#23 (permalink)      2/19/2018 9:33:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
neo71665
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2188
  • Reviews 52
  • Kudos1455
eric1848 wrote:

LED tail switch SKU 9627747 is good for spare,
and SKU 7569100 is perfect size holster for S2+

The s2+ doesn't use rubber switches and according to what I was told in this thread they are not interchangeable. These are s2+ switches SKU 7989400.

Thanks for the holster suggestion.

My opinions are my own. If you disagree with them please take a big healthy crap in your hands and give yourself a round of applause.
#24 (permalink)      2/19/2018 6:32:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
eric1848
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 1728
  • Reviews 210
  • Kudos1834
+1 details
my first S2+ XP-L HI SKU 7681703 was came with black metal tail-cap SKU 7989400 with LED switch SKU 9627747 and SMO reflector (early model)

but My 2nd S2+ XP-L Hi (same model) hasn't got the LED tail switch already.

of course the Metal tail-cap and Rubber tail-cap are not interchangeable for sure because of their different ø size and thread.

SKU 7989400 is only the metal tail-cap without the On/Off switch.

SKU 1576100 is the OEM switch without LED

SKU 9627747 is the OEM switch with 2 LED and the transparent plate (good for spare)

...plus Rubber tail-cap for most other Convoy Flashlights.

Option SKU 9265500 for 18350/16350 battery tube is good compact size
but I'm not recommend for this high current model.

High mode has not more than 15 mins Running time with 18350/900mAh battery...
SMPL, eGo AIO and Pico with SS316 coil is my daily combo on 2016. I Quit smoking for years and very enjoying vaping MaxVG now @YVR... Vape safe mate:D
#25 (permalink)      2/19/2018 10:31:40 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Moldy
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 1709
  • Reviews 182
  • Kudos1792
neo71665 wrote:

Moldy wrote:

I'd recommend the BLM A6 over the Convoys. It's brighter, has far better firmware, and has more output options. It's a superior light imo.

Do you mean the BLF A6? If so sorry I don't do GB and they are $48 compared to $16 for the s2. The added functions don't impress me enough for the price increase.

I have played with one and they are good lights so don't get me wrong. Just more than I need/want.

Yeah, I meant BLF A6. I'm surprised its $48 as I recently picked one up for under $20 including the 18350 tube, a second o-ring and lens kit, and shipping included from the gear place. The firmware is great and there's even some 'updated' forks of the Toykeeper A6 firmware that people have made.

I love being able to step back without having to scroll forward through a bunch of settings; it's a highly underrated feature imo. The hidden features are quick to access [including a great turbo mode that's always only a couple clicks away] and it has one of the best moonlight modes I've used. The A6's battery level indicator is an almost unheard of feature among budget flashlights. I also far prefer the memory mode with the A6 over the Convoys as the A6 instantly locks your setting into memory, whereas the Convoys require you to leave the setting on for at least three seconds before turning the light off or it will register and save it as a progressive click [to the next brightness]. I find that annoying and often end up on the wrong setting as a result. Even the A6's powder coating is of a higher listed grade than just about every other similarly priced Chinese flashlight. If you ever see them on sale [usually around $17 - $22] they're well worth it.

Edited on 2/19/2018 at 11:04 PM. Reason:
#26 (permalink)      2/20/2018 6:12:40 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
neo71665
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2188
  • Reviews 52
  • Kudos1455
+1 details
eric1848 wrote:

my first S2+ XP-L HI SKU 7681703 was came with black metal tail-cap SKU 7989400 with LED switch SKU 9627747 and SMO reflector (early model) *snip*

Option SKU 9265500 for 18350/16350 battery tube is good compact size
but I'm not recommend for this high current model.

High mode has not more than 15 mins Running time with 18350/900mAh battery...

I've done decided to order mine directly from Simon's store so I know what features it's coming with exactly. I'm getting both a SMO and OP reflector from him. From my limited understanding they went with non lighted tail switch because it didn't play nice with the new firmware. You don't have to worry about me and anything but 18650, I only own cells this size. If we have to get nit picky the exact cells I own for my lights are Protected Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh. I went with protected cells because I have a child and father that each have one light and we share batteries. Was just easier to have protected at the beginning but my son has gotten pretty good about respecting the li-ion batts. My 63 year old father still not so much. The boy is 10 now and has showed interest in building his own light so we will see. Dad I'm gonna upgrade his light to something with more built in protection to stop him from being an idiot.

Edited on 2/20/2018 at 6:16 AM. Reason:
My opinions are my own. If you disagree with them please take a big healthy crap in your hands and give yourself a round of applause.
#27 (permalink)      2/20/2018 6:17:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
neo71665
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2188
  • Reviews 52
  • Kudos1455
+1 details
Moldy wrote:
[quote]neo71665 wrote:Moldy wrote:I'd recommend the BLM A6 over the Convoys. It's brighter, has far better firmware, and has more output options. It's a superior light imo.Do you mean the BLF A6? If so sorry I don't do GB and they are $48 compared to $16 for the s2. The added functions don't impress me enough for the price increase.I have played with one and they are good lights so don't get me wrong. Just more than I need/want.Yeah, I meant BLF A6. I'm surprised its $48 as I recently picked one up for under $20 including the 18350 tube, a second o-ring and lens kit, and shipping included from the gear place. The firmware is great and there's even some 'updated' forks of the Toykeeper A6 firmware that people have made. I love being able to step back without having to scroll forward through a bunch of settings; it's a highly underrated feature imo. The hidden features are quick to access [including a great turbo mode that's always only a couple clicks away] and it has one of the best moonlight modes I've used. The A6's battery level indicator is an almost unheard of feature among budget flashlights. I also far prefer the memory mode with the A6 over the Convoys as the A6 instantly locks your setting into memory, whereas the Convoys require you to leave the setting on for at least three seconds before turning the light off or it will register and save it as a progressive click [to the next brightness]. I find that annoying and often end up on the wrong setting as a result. Even the A6's powder coating is of a higher listed grade than just about every other similarly priced Chinese flashlight. If you ever see them on sale [usually around $17 - $22] they're well worth it.[/quote]

My buddy has one and they are a good light I'm not denying that. I'm just the set and forget type once I find a group I like. Most often thats the low, mid, high settings. I hate my pocket light to have a mile long list of settings I have to scroll through and would rather just have a light I can grab with a super low or one with a barn burner if thats what I'm looking for. I don't need them all in one light.

I don't do GB because I've had 2 bad experiences with them out of 3. They burnt that bridge. Plus the original plan was to buy from here to use up a gift cert I had but thats blow out the window now. I need to quit looking at lights because so far I'm getting the sand s2+ and have thrown one of the improved c8 in clear in my cart from Simon's store. Here have the $20 worth of goodies in accessories. I done stepped away from this hobby for the last 2 years or so because I was spending too much on it tinkering and upgrading. Looks like with these 2 orders I'm trying to jump back in feet first.

Edited on 2/20/2018 at 6:20 AM. Reason: I fucking give up, the damn quote links just wont work
#28 (permalink)      2/20/2018 10:54:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airbagz
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 3183
  • Reviews 13
  • Kudos3263
+1 details
Not long ago there were dozens of flashlights that I really wanted, but now I'm getting more into lights that are different/unusual.

Just came across a really old pocket/pen light that I'd forgotten about. It's a bore inspection light and it's much skinnier than even AAAA sized batteries. The batts are BR435s and like Li-ions, the #s represent the size. 4mmx35mm. I can't wait till the batts get here.

The only new light I have any interest in now is the Emisar D4. A tiny little thing the size of an 18650 cell (with an 18350 batt tube), but as bright or brighter than any Convoy light. 4400 lm.

Edited on 2/20/2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason:
I just need one more flashlight. Just one. Honestly. :D
#29 (permalink)      2/20/2018 12:23:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
neo71665
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2188
  • Reviews 52
  • Kudos1455
+2 details
My first love was always autos. When I got really sick I didn't have the energy to go out to the shop and work. Always used to doing something I was going nuts sitting in the house so I picked up lights and modding them. Was something I could sit at a desk and do. I was never really addicted to having to have dozens or one tore apart all the time.

I can't race like I used to but my son is starting to get into anything gas powered. My surgeries are done and my energy has picked back up we are working on building him a 400cc powered offroad buggy to scoot around on. My light modding has died back down. Those who can do and those of us that can't teach. I'm teaching him how to be a grease monkey.
#30 (permalink)      12/16/2018 6:41:40 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
macka17
  • JoinedMay 2017
  • Posts 1
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0
I have a coupla S2/S2+. never come off the shelf.
Not even battery's in them.
I think the C8/C8+ are a much better light. to hold and beam wise.
Loooong range. with plenty of spread. and 5000 ish tint.
Gives natural looking subjects with little extra heat to torch.
Another nice smaller,effeicint one. is the SolarStorm SC02.
around $17, AA cells. Side switch.
#31 (permalink)      12/17/2018 11:40:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airbagz
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 3183
  • Reviews 13
  • Kudos3263
I also like the C8 style lights better than the tube lights, like the s2, S2+ etc, but mostly because I think they look better. (a stupid reason to buy flashlights, I admit) And also because they look more like traditional flashlights. I'm also partial to throwers, but I doubt the average person will ever need more than 10~15m throw, and most will be used up close for fixing things, finding something under the bed, etc.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that the SC02 is the 18650 version. I have the 01 (AA/14500)) and the 03 (16340) THey're okay, but I wasn't overly impressed with either. Nice lights but neither seemed as bright as the specs said. (I reviewed both of them here)

My favorite little AA light has been the Manker E11 since I bought it about a year ago. Bright enough with a AA that I never bothered trying it with a 14500 cell. I was tempted to get a Convoy T2 but I've lost a little interest in flashlights and really have no use for it. They might make nice stocking stuffers as gifts to keep in a car. Not that much money, AA cells available everywhere, and the quality should make them reliable.

edit - Had the SC01/03 batteries backwards.

Edited on 12/17/2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason:
I just need one more flashlight. Just one. Honestly. :D