shopping cart empty
Xiaomi Phones
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      9/18/2017 12:32:05 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23172
+3 details
I was an early purchaser of the One Plus One years ago. Absolutely loved that phone.

No idea how v5 is as i gave my v1 away 2 years ago but I wouldnt hesitate to use the One Plus One again if it as good as the v1 was.

So +1 for OnePlusOne's
(*~*) Was bored to death.. RIP :)
#22 (permalink)      9/18/2017 1:03:23 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Andyk
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 10984
  • Reviews 680
  • Kudos9399
+1 details
Glad to know, happy to go with OnePlus :)
My Location: Bharat (aka IN) .. Namaste /\ .. ***TC doesn't work for me as it's an imperfect solution to a problem that I never even had*** - Sossij
#23 (permalink)      11/19/2017 11:05:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
SeanTron
  • JoinedSep 2017
  • Posts 25
  • Reviews 75
  • Kudos16
Xiaomi has to make money somewhere and it's certainly not from their sub-$300 phones. I think it's neat they push the envelope on design and who cares if they charge a premium for it; if they keep selling them it's because people are buying.
#24 (permalink)      11/19/2017 12:13:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Andyk
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 10984
  • Reviews 680
  • Kudos9399
+1 details
Done with the Xiaomi crap, happy to own a OnePlus 5. The 5T is out there too but anyway, what I have now is more than sufficient. Crisp clear pics! No more Xiaomi type blurry pics.
My Location: Bharat (aka IN) .. Namaste /\ .. ***TC doesn't work for me as it's an imperfect solution to a problem that I never even had*** - Sossij
#25 (permalink)      12/8/2017 3:14:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
nancyvinci92
  • JoinedDec 2017
  • Posts 10
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5
Xiaomi is a great bang for the buck. You have absolutely no clue of what it can do.

Guess which phone gets the taste of the first Snapdragon 845 chipset? Xiaomi Mi7.
#26 (permalink)      12/8/2017 3:16:17 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
nancyvinci92
  • JoinedDec 2017
  • Posts 10
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5
But yeah, OnePlus leads the flagship race at present. I want Xiaomi to win. They look sleek!

I'm talking about the $400+ models. Everything below is sub-par. Look at Samsung, look at Lenovo. Lenovo ZUKs
#27 (permalink)      12/8/2017 4:17:00 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23172
Andyk wrote:

Done with the Xiaomi crap, happy to own a OnePlus 5. The 5T is out there too but anyway, what I have now is more than sufficient. Crisp clear pics! No more Xiaomi type blurry pics.

Glad to hear you bought one.
Great phone.

The only reason I didnt continue with OnePlusOne was because the partner got into iPhones a couple of years ago and with all apple computers, ipads, macbook pros, and apple TVs, it just became problematic for me having to sync very busy calendars when one was with an android......plus, its easier for him to message me from one iphone to another, etc.

But if not for all that I would have been happy with another OnePlusONe.

(*~*) Was bored to death.. RIP :)
#28 (permalink)      12/26/2017 3:18:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RabbieD
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 110
  • Reviews 59
  • Kudos52
I bought the Redmi Note 2 and Redmi Note 3 from here in 2015, and the Mi A1 recently from elsewhere (FT don't yet sell it) and no problem with camera on any of them; although I'm only an occasional picture/video-taker, so YMMV.

The hardware of these phones is excellent. For users outside China, the problems are with the software. Xiaomi's version of Android, MiUI, is a bit odd. Even with the MiUI Global ROM, you are likely to encounter Chinese menus occasionally in unexpected places.

I read somewhere (on the internet, so it must be true) that Xiaomi makes a loss on selling the Redmi phones, and makes money via the software, selling stuff to a captive Chinese market via MiUI's bundled apps.

Rooting the Redmi Note 2, and loading Cyanogenmod, was relatively easy; a real bargain, paid $130 and a few hours to have a phone working in UK which would have cost around £300 locally for equivalent specs.

The Mi A1 comes with near-stock Android out of the box, so no need to root; although cost has risen to $200+.

However, the Redmi Note 3 provides a cautionary tale. I bought it soon after release on basis of excellent reviews. Alas, soon after the reviews, Xiaomi locked the bootloader via an OTA update; and soon after that, Xiaomi changed the CPU from Mediatek to Snapdragon. Result: extremely difficult to root, and only a couple of alternative ROMs available when rooted.

Moral of the story, IMHO: Xiaomi do excellent hardware, but before buying, check XDA and similar forums to confirm availability of alternative ROMs, and that you are confident on how to root and load.
Avatar: Hon Lik, inventor of the e-cig
#29 (permalink)      9/11/2018 1:09:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Philip_Buster
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 82
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos202
It's for people who want to be able to brag about having a $1000 phone but still be able to talk shit about Apple.
ffffffffffffffpt
#30 (permalink)      9/11/2018 2:37:58 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Andyk
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 10984
  • Reviews 680
  • Kudos9399
Mehhh why do you have to stick Android/Apple shit here man :/
#31 (permalink)      11/10/2018 6:53:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2537
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1010
+1 details
Redmi Note 4's camera is a piece of crap, just try to capture a moon&clouds view.
MIUI is ad ridden and breaks many Android features.
Its too late to buy Xiaomi stuff.
The answer to 1984 is 1973 § Panasonic or Samsung - that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.