Notification sound(s)
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      4/30/2022 3:06:34 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10972
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
Notification sound(s)
Got a new phone and am still in the curve of setting it up completely... At this point, I am stuck with 1 anoying aspect I can't seem to find a way around. There is absolutely no way to set different apps with different notification tones. No options in the apps or settings, just a general "notification tone" for everything. Text message, email, camera alarm all the same...

What the hell can I do?!

Edited on 4/30/2022 at 9:22 PM. Reason:
Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#2 (permalink)      4/30/2022 3:35:31 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airwinny
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 8749
  • Reviews 224
  • Kudos31385
$0.01 rebate earned
It's an android, right?

Settings > Apps > Your Apps (or Manage Apps as my phone calls it)
Then scroll to and click on the app you want to set a custom notification for. Then click on "Notifications".
Then, if the slider for "Show Notifications" is toggled on, if you scroll down you should be able to see a list of notification categories, clicking on each one gives you the option to change the notification per category within each app.

At least that's where stock Android has it in their menu, my Xiaomi and Samsung phones with their customized Android versions work basically the same. If you can't find it via the above steps, your phone may have a very weird customized layer installed over stock android.
#3 (permalink)      4/30/2022 5:24:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10972
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
That's where I looked first. This android is definitely different than most phones I've handled. I had to download a home screen launcher just to get that "normal" and get rid of the stupid non-removable Google bar.

All I really need is the messanger app to have a different tone than the rest of notifications. I don't wanna have to download a 3rd party messenger just to find it probably won't let me set a specific tone either.
Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#4 (permalink)      4/30/2022 6:00:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10972
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
Tbh ... I think that option\setting was completely removed from the OS.
#5 (permalink)      4/30/2022 6:15:52 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airwinny
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 8749
  • Reviews 224
  • Kudos31385
Skeeeets wrote:

Tbh ... I think that option\setting was completely removed from the OS.

You're probably right...I got curious and googled around bit, and all I find are tutorials on how to set the standard ringtone. Absurd if they removed a very handy feature.

There are some sounds you can change, apparently, but in their respective applications.

Here's how to change the sound of the voice mail notification:
https://www.hardreset.info/devices/doogee/doogee-s96-pro/faq/faq/voicemail-sound-doogee-s95-pro/

And here the alarm clock:
https://www.hardreset.info/devices/doogee/doogee-s96-pro/faq/faq/alarm-sound-doogee-s95-pro/

Maybe in the Messenger app there's a similar setting?

#6 (permalink)      4/30/2022 6:56:01 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10972
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
Already looked in the app itself :(

Either I'm completely shit out of luck, or maybe get lucky a 3rd party app will allow it. Kinda shitty idea for a "smart" phone.... Most definitely a disappointing "feature".

My phone goes off all day, I'd guess 80~ notifications if I had to guess a daily average. Be really nice to know "by tone" wether it's important to pull out my phone at that specific time of notification.

#7 (permalink)      4/30/2022 7:21:33 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10972
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
+1 details
Alrighty. I found an "ad free" app that allows for its own notification tone :) 'dive sms'

Now to hope that the app has no real issues over time.

Edited on 4/30/2022 at 7:22 PM. Reason:
#8 (permalink)      4/30/2022 8:02:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10972
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
Goddamn!!! Always an issue somewhere....
So the notifications portion is all perfect...
But I cannot CREATE a new "conversation", some glitch in the app, create Convo select user and then nothing. Able to go around and go into my contacts list and "create" message from there, but not directly on the app ...

Il just have to deal with that minor inconvenience. Thanks for the attempted help, I thought maybe there was extra extra hidden settings I couldn't find or something.
#9 (permalink)      4/30/2022 8:53:05 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airwinny
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 8749
  • Reviews 224
  • Kudos31385
+1 details
Skeeeets wrote:

Thanks for the attempted help, I thought maybe there was extra extra hidden settings I couldn't find or something.

No worries, I had seen some good reviews of that phone. It's just absurd their own OS layer over Android managed to actually erase some features from stock Android. I'd be quite annoyed too. I have a dual sim phone, with a private number and a work number. If both sims gave me the exact same notification sounds, I'd throw the phone away.

#10 (permalink)      4/30/2022 8:53:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10972
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
P.s. I don't recommend this phone for "sophisticated" users.... As a legit basic BEATER phone for only work, this WOULD be great. But so far I'm "fighting" to normalize the phone, and am disappointed in myself not paying too much attention to certain areas of reviews. Having the power button and volume on the same side is a HUGE pain in my ass. This "notification" business is a pain in my ass. Not directly this phones problem, but I still get and can send text messages on my old phone that has no service\card installed AFTER I installed the card into this phone.... Still trying to figure how\why it's happening and how to stop it(without factory resetting the old phone).
#11 (permalink)      4/30/2022 8:59:49 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10972
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
airwinny wrote:

It's just absurd their own OS layer over Android managed to actually erase some features from stock Android.

I'd have to delete the homepage launcher for it to show up, but when you hold\select app and go to the info page(where notifications and other setting are) there is a

"(?) Deleted setting" (or some similar worded) portion at the bottom. Hitting the (?) Shows no info.

After the launcher I'm struggling to find it on app settings now. I can only assume it may have been for the difference in notifications, but I never thought of comparing the screens side by side with another phone(untill now) to see what is missing.

Edited on 4/30/2022 at 9:02 PM. Reason: