Aluminum. Paint vs anodizing
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      1/20/2022 6:01:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10972
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
Aluminum. Paint vs anodizing
I honestly can't distinguish what's the difference with some products.... I've had painted items "chip" so that's a give away, but other items the color fades instead of chipping... Would this indicate Its anodized, or just different paint processes?

What are some common signs of anodizing?
Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#2 (permalink)      1/22/2022 6:30:48 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10972
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
Figured with all the mod snobs, at least 1 person here would have some knowledge to share?
Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#3 (permalink)      1/22/2022 6:59:33 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21540
I looked into anodizing vs paint. It seems, from a shallow investigation, that anodizing etches into the surface, therefor, should not chip. There are aluminum specific paints that also etch as in aircraft paints so, they will chip but leave a residual and are very expensive. I am sure there is more to find, but I did not get too deep.

It looks (to me) as though you have an anodized piece, as the color is wearing down on it. But I'm no expert.
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#4 (permalink)      1/22/2022 8:53:53 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10972
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
So it seems I'm having trouble with searching for Other info\signs.....

I find alot of info on why one is better than the other, and how to "apply" the finish, but nothing much further than that.

Just really curious what signs to look for. It's mentioned alot here for ecigs about bad paint and the such, I'm positive everyone here has seen those mentions. That knife has Ben used daily as my sole work knife for the better part of 2 year. Free floating in an apron pocket with another knife(for prying and scraping), keys, and loose dust\woodchips etc. It being a cheap as chips knife, I wondered if that was paint or anodizing.
#5 (permalink)      1/22/2022 10:10:09 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21540
+1 details
Just my opinion, but I think it is anodized, and I don't know how to verify that opinion.
#6 (permalink)      1/23/2022 3:44:23 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Andy.lion
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 12067
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos32085
+1 on anodising.
I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, but the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
#7 (permalink)      1/23/2022 7:37:49 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4794
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2881
Skeeets, It's 100% anodized...looks just like my older, beat up Driptech squonkers. If truth be told, anodizing usually lasts much longer under repeated use, and as far as aluminum goes, it's much tougher than powder coating, which scratches much too easily.

EDIT: I am assuming the knife in the photo is aluminum, correct?

Edited on 1/23/2022 at 7:38 AM. Reason:
What does he mean when he says words?
#8 (permalink)      1/23/2022 11:14:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21540
As to "signs" to look for, chipping would definitely mean paint whereas gradual fading from surface wear is indicative of anodized finish. Not that paint won't also fade and wear down. In the above post, you have a 100% definitive answer as to what you have, assuming it is aluminum. But then, I had one and can attest to it as an aluminum frame.
#9 (permalink)      1/23/2022 12:58:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10972
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
Yes it's aluminum. Surprised a cheap 6$ knife had a decent "color job".
#10 (permalink)      1/23/2022 1:02:52 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 16175
  • Reviews 390
  • Kudos29814
On a side note:
Don't know much about how to apply and which paint, and which methods are the most durable (in the house) with little objects that are undertaken of a heavy use in hands + all the issues that carrying them in pockets etc. mean,
neither about anodising, but I know how to take off anodising extremely easily. ;)

Dip yout object into some sodium hydroxide solution for a couple of minutes (maybe 10). Done!

Very cheap product, you can get it everywhere. While it's declared highly poisonous and pollutive, it's used even in the food industry. (even in households for to take off bitterness of olives for example)

But only if you don't mind bare aluminium, if you don't have sweaty hands etc.

While taking off different kind of paints is a slightly more hassle...