Brexit and orders from China via Post NL to UK after 1st Jan
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      12/30/2020 8:31:51 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
myk333
  • JoinedNov 2020
  • Posts 21
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5
Brexit and orders from China via Post NL to UK after 1st Jan
Just wondering whether there are going to be issues when ordering items that originate in China and are sent via post NL to the UK as an interim point.

In the past while it has been slow i have had no issued with items being held at customs before.

With brexit coming are we likely going to see more strict checking for these parcels that come via Post NL from China and more seizures/custom duty charges where as they may have "gone under the raider" in the past.

With that said, items sent via Post NL do have a CN22 customs declaration stuck to the parcel.

Has anyone in the UK ever had a parcel sent via this method received a customs charge or had the parcel seized?

Im just trying to establish how this will affect us moving forward...
#2 (permalink)      12/30/2020 9:10:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2853
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2304
+1 details
When the UK was an EU member state, all purchases (up to a certain price point) from other EU member states were assumed to be Sales Tax paid, and therefore not stopped for Customs & Excise - that stuff was never "under the radar". Only gear bought from outside the EU that got through 'unmolested' could be deemed as "under the radar" because it was supposed to be subject to duty.

Regardless of what postal system is used to ship items, it's the actual country of origin that matters in respect of Customs, so when it comes to Brexit, nothing will change from the 1st of January in relation to stuff shipping through PostNL from China.

Remember, all merchandise bought from China is subject to Duty (nothing to do with our membership or otherwise of the EU), but as we know, the majority of it gets through, and that's not likely to change next year.

Hope that clarifies.

Edited on 12/30/2020 at 9:23 AM. Reason: Added
It's twelve inches long, but don't use it as a rule...
#3 (permalink)      12/30/2020 9:29:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2853
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2304
+1 details
myk333 wrote:

Has anyone in the UK ever had a parcel sent via this method received a customs charge...

Yes, a small percentage of packages from FT inevitably get stopped from time to time (a few people have mentioned it in the forum in the past) - indeed, I had one myself about three years ago. It's quite rare though, and if you're a regular buyer, you'll still gain far more that you'll lose when something is occasionally yanked.

#4 (permalink)      12/30/2020 9:33:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
myk333
  • JoinedNov 2020
  • Posts 21
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5
analogueman wrote:

Regardless of what postal system is used to ship items, it's the actual country of origin that matters in respect of Customs, so when it comes to Brexit, nothing will change from the 1st of January in relation to stuff shipping through PostNL from China.

Ok thanks for the fast reply. Totally get the above and what i expected however i am just wondering as the stuff sent via Post NL, on the tracking looks like it is coming from the "Netherlands" whether when the batch of parcels arrive at Heathrow/Langley they are passed through without duty checks with all other post from Netherlands (still scanning of dangerous and banned substances of course).

Also not sure if you have seen but there is an new legislation from 1st Jan for "Low Value Consignment Relief" - im not sure how this will affect parcels to the UK from Fast Tech where by the mark the item at a low value to avoid duty and VAT (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021)

#5 (permalink)      12/30/2020 9:45:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2853
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2304
myk333 wrote:

Totally get the above and what i expected however i am just wondering as the stuff sent via Post NL, on the tracking looks like it is coming from the "Netherlands" whether when the batch of parcels arrive at Heathrow/Langley they are passed through without duty checks with all other post from Netherlands (still scanning of dangerous and banned substances of course).

If you look at the labelling on something that's shipped from FT to the UK via PostNL, you'll see reference to China (being the country of origin) despite it coming via the Netherlands, and that's what matters to the Royal Mail in relation to potential Duty.

It's interesting to note, having spoken to a work colleague about this only recently, who used to work for the Royal Mail, that despite the huge increase in the volume of mail that will need to be checked from 2021, they're NOT employing very many more bodies to do it! So don't be too surprised if most stuff coming from the EU goes 'under the radar', at least for a while anyway.

Edited on 12/30/2020 at 9:47 AM. Reason:
#6 (permalink)      12/30/2020 9:49:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
myk333
  • JoinedNov 2020
  • Posts 21
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5
analogueman wrote:

myk333 wrote:
analogueman wrote:
Totally get the above and what i expected however i am just wondering as the stuff sent via Post NL, on the tracking looks like it is coming from the "Netherlands" whether when the batch of parcels arrive at Heathrow/Langley they are passed through without duty checks with all other post from Netherlands (still scanning of dangerous and banned substances of course).
If you look at the labelling on something that's shipped from FT to the UK via PostNL, you'll see reference to China (being the country of origin) despite it coming via the Netherlands, and that's what matters to the Royal Mail in relation to potential Duty.

It's interesting to note, having spoken to a work colleague about this only recently, who used to work for the Royal Mail, that despite the huge increase in the volume of mail that will need to be checked from 2021, they're NOT employing very many more bodies to do it! So don't be too surprised if most stuff coming from from the EU goes 'under the radar', at least for a while anyway.

That is interesting to know thank you.

I do actually have a parcel that is on "transport to country of destination" as of 24th from china via Post NL.

This is the last update and I dont think it will get processed before 1st Jan - with that in mind im wondering if it will be hit with duty given the new legislation with parcels valued at £15 or less. I am hoping like you have said that the back log will be ushered through.

#7 (permalink)      12/30/2020 9:54:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2853
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2304
myk333 wrote:

Also not sure if you have seen but there is an new legislation from 1st Jan for "Low Value Consignment Relief" - im not sure how this will affect parcels to the UK from Fast Tech where by the mark the item at a low value to avoid duty and VAT (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021)

No, I wasn't aware of that - something I'll read up on when time permits. :-)

#8 (permalink)      12/30/2020 10:01:28 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2853
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2304
myk333 wrote:

I do actually have a parcel that is on "transport to country of destination" as of 24th from china via Post NL.

This is the last update and I dont think it will get processed before 1st Jan - with that in mind im wondering if it will be hit with duty given the new legislation with parcels valued at £15 or less. I am hoping like you have said that the back log will be ushered through.

I doubt you'll experience any difference - as I say, stuff from China has always been subject to UK Duty. But given FT's 'imaginative' descriptions on their Declarations Form attached to packages, most get through unscathed, and you'd be unlucky if yours proves to be the exception. ;-)

#9 (permalink)      12/30/2020 2:22:24 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
MotoBlue
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 4896
  • Reviews 30
  • Kudos4836
So the £15 Low Value Consignment Relief is abolished. Vat applied at point of import is abolished also.

Vat payment will be the responsibility of the sender or in the case of an online marketplace like Amazon and Ebay, it is their responsibility to take payment and pay Vat when the goods are outside the UK.

However

The changes will not apply to consignments of goods containing excise goods or to non- commercial transactions between private individuals. Existing rules will continue to apply for these transactions.

FT's address labels generally show the sender as an individuals name and address, not FT, which clouds the issue.

Over a thousand squonk products available at Fasttech
#10 (permalink)      12/30/2020 4:05:32 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2853
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2304
As I say, UK peeps are unlikely to see any difference in 2021 than in 2020. What the rules say and what happens in practice are often two different things, and always have been.
#11 (permalink)      1/1/2021 6:34:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
PeteWdev
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2020
  • Posts 2
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0
The rules have changed as of today, as the UK is now no longer part of the EU-VAT scheme. The UK now has it's own different rules for how it deals with VAT on imports.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-overseas-goods-sold-directly-to-customers-in-great-britain-from-1-january-2021

For example:
"Consignments valued at £135 or less
The seller must charge and account for VAT at the point of sale"

This means that technically, FastTech needs to register with HMRC for VAT and charge UK VAT at point of sale to UK customers. Also keep VAT records, pay the VAT collected on to HMRC, etc.

(The £15 allowance is also gone BTW).

I seem to have read somewhere that it may be possible that the packet is kept at the local post office, and handed over in exchange for paying the VAT (and poss. duties).