shopping cart empty
NEED WEE BIT OF HELP -Shipping liquids
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#31 (permalink)      5/8/2020 5:18:44 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 1858
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1572
Pssst... it's the cotton candy (ethyl maltol) that does the blending and smoothing. The stuff only tastes like cotton candy if you run it (almost) solo. It'll turn the raspberry and mango into something that's sort of generically fruity in a way you just can't quite put your finger on, and you can use the balance between the two fruits to bend that flavour in a couple of different directions.
#32 (permalink)      5/8/2020 6:07:46 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 8710
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos13649
EternalSpline wrote:

I heard in Canada they get like 2 grand a month!

LOL
True but not many people can live on $2k monthly.

More importantly, restaurants or businesses renting from commercial landlords are being put out of biz at a very high rate.
The government here devised a plan that they would pay 50% of someones rent, the business itself would pay 25% and the commercial landlord would take the other 25% hit himself. They believed that the 25% hit was better than a 100% loss.
Interestingly enough, not one commercial landlord has taken the government up on this deal so tons of businesses are being forced into permanent closure.

No idea though how vape stores are fairing though this here in Toronto.

MOB RULE MUST NEVER WIN! Left-wing fascism: An infantile disorder.
#33 (permalink)      5/9/2020 7:29:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 4790
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos3184
Thanks essellar, I have some cotton candy flavoring, but the other flavors I think I need something different. My mango is more of a natural one. I think I might have a good cream flavor that would work. Not sure if I will try and make it though, my skills at DIY are pretty poor still.

SS allot of people can live on 2K a month here. Also 1,200.00 single one time payment, VS 2,000.00 a month, I will gladly take the 2K a month.

That is odd that no landlord is taking that deal, is there more to it? Do they get something for having it empty?
#34 (permalink)      5/9/2020 9:26:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 8710
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos13649
@ES. Toronto is like NYC so ones $2k wouldn't go anywhere as far as it would for you in Florida. It will help some people for 1-2 months at the most but really stretched.

No idea why at the moment why the commercial landlords aren't acting upon it. There was a tax benefit that ended in 2018 which would have explained it had that not ceased. Perhaps if a building is to be sold its easier to do so without a tenant but that doesn't explain every one of them not accessing the fund.

Difficult situation for landlords are always demonized. So one might ask, why should a landlord take a 25% cut while the politicians themselves aren't? Are grocery stores cutting their prices by 25%, and so on.

On the other hand do we know just how viable those businesses really were? Should they have run into financial difficulty that quickly?
If that were the case, then one might be grateful said landlord is not taking on more of the public funds and dragging this out by extending those leases, if they aren't viable.

In any event, the above wouldn't be of interest to anyone outside of here but it has had me wondering how the city Vape stores must be doing, especially the smaller one shop location sort. Surprised I havent heard of any of them yet going down but even when retail does open later next week I believe, how long will they be made to wait for new shipments to arrive out of China? 😛

I stocked up on both my needed Vape flavourings, VG/PG and a couple One Shots just in case...
#35 (permalink)      5/9/2020 10:04:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 1858
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1572
Most of the shops I know of found a way to do "online shopping", even if that was in a very low-tech and old-fashioned way and only involved their own previous customers - an email blast, a note on the door, something like that, going down as far as phone-in orders, person-to-person PayPal payments, hand delivery to the doorstep, that sort of thing. None of them would be doing anything of the sort of business they usually did, since they'd only be covering customers who either don't know how to find things online or who are very loyal to the store and want to see it survive. (A little Mom & Pop is usually an expensive option, but having one in town, or in the next town over, is better than nothing. And folks like me who managed to transition from smoking as a result of popping into one of those weirdo electronic smoke stores one day on impulse with no real plan think having them around is a really good idea, even if most of what I buy is DIY supplies and clones from Chinese vendors.)

As for the landlords... well, it could be something as simple as not wanting to expose their financial shenanigans in a lot of cases. I've known a few, and there's definitely an element of "if you're not cheating, you're not doing it right" among that crowd. Thing is, they're not standing ankle-deep in blood or anything - it all tends to be nickel-and-dime stuff that's mostly cancelled out by the expense it took to break the rule. But it's the principle of the thing - why buy something for $20 when it feels much more "robber baron" to pay someone $19.95 to steal it for you (or, in a of of cases, buy it from a wholesaler you're not allowed to deal with and take their own little markup)? And, in my experience, they lose the 10-cent tax break they could have gotten from paying the twenty bucks in the first place and end up a nickel in the hole. But they're sticking it to the man in their own little way, and they're happy, so...
#36 (permalink)      5/9/2020 1:35:15 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 4790
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos3184
"@ES. Toronto is like NYC so ones $2k wouldn't go anywhere as far as it would for you in Florida. It will help some people for 1-2 months at the most but really stretched."

I can totally understand that, but at the same time I wasn't just talking about Toronto. NYC got 1,200.00 and Florida, and LA... So 2K a month is a big leap towards making ends meet from a one time payment of 1,200.00. It is part of the reason so many people in so many jobs kept working. It was impossible for them to stop and be quarantined. It was billed as a stimulus, definition is, stimulus refers to attempts to use monetary or fiscal policy to stimulate the economy. IMHO, They didn't even meet the most minimal requirements for a large portion of the population let alone stimulate the economy in any way. I was lucky and didn't need to depend on it, but looking at the two countries it is clear Canada did more dollar for loonie, or what ever it is you call your dollar.

"In any event, the above wouldn't be of interest to anyone outside of here"

I find the landlord thing interesting. It was a good attempt at a solution, your right the grocery stores and what not did not have to take a 25% hit, but at the same time I would think keeping the place rented is more logical then potentially spending a month or two with nothing.

The vape shops is interesting, I know right before the shut down one of my local shops had not stocked up enough before the China holiday, so when that got extended with a lock down they were closer to out of stock on coils and gear. Then we went to lock down, and I have not been in since. They did a curb side delivery option and I don't think ever fully closed.
#37 (permalink)      5/9/2020 2:19:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 8710
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos13649

I find the landlord thing interesting. It was a good attempt at a solution, your right the grocery stores and what not did not have to take a 25% hit, but at the same time I would think keeping the place rented is more logical then potentially spending a month or two with nothing.

I have found it rather perplexing as well. I will be speaking with a lawyer of ours next week that has a few corporate landlords as clients and will be asking for his opinion as none of what I have heard so far makes any sense.
Unless it is a negotiating tactic to pay less tax, etc; once it is sorted out, I really cant say.

Just yesterday they were threatened with action if any more were evicted without the landlord making use of the fund but that seems to be nothing more than a political ploy without follow through for we are 2 months into this. Here there were orders that personal tenants could not be evicted throughout this crisis yet no such order was devised for commercial renters.

So, basically, who knows.

The only vape store i deal with here, Dash Vapes has several locations and would be the one most likely to survive but there are many one shop versions that made the bulk of sales by being a place in which to hand around & test out flavouring so not sure curb side access would have saved them but time will tell.

#38 (permalink)      5/9/2020 2:36:34 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 4790
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos3184
Dash does online so they were probably in no need of curbside.

I would be curious to know what the lawyer says about that. Maybe it is a total earned tax they will avoid by losing the tenant, maybe there was a break for them if they were empty. It must be some way it works out for them. The renter though, now that I can't see it working out for them at all. Do they have to vacate during the lock down? The other thing that would be rough is the build out of a shop is/can be pretty expensive. So what you want to re-open you just lose that and then do it again some other place? Does not seem logical at all.
#39 (permalink)      5/9/2020 4:04:50 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 1858
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1572
Dash was doing curbside before it was cool. They had a clever lockbox-plus-timeslot thing set up as soon as they could obtain the equipment, and were only shut down completely at their retail locations for a couple of days. There's a lot of cleverness and hustle out there. 180, Albert at e-cigarettes.ca, Salk Street and others were also running online and arranging better/quicker delivery than Canada Post.

Edited on 5/9/2020 at 4:05 PM. Reason:
#40 (permalink)      5/9/2020 4:25:07 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 8710
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos13649
Albert I used to purchase from at his earlier location but he since moved a few miles further north so that fell out of favour for me as its easier for me to pop over to the Dash Vapes location on Adelaide.
Great guy, Albert.

Salk Street are nice guys as well. I have only purchased flavouring from them when I have been short one flavour, before buying a larger order from BC.

I am close to Salk Street as well so I havent ever had to concern myself with curb-side service but the only vape item I did buy through-out these last 2 months were some 21700 batts from DV but damn did they take quite a bit of time with Canada Post. 😔

* I am curious as to what the lawyer says as well. There has to be something to it I am not aware of, nor is being reported upon.
#41 (permalink)      5/9/2020 5:01:32 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 4790
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos3184
I have had zero issues online shopping in the US throughout this whole thing. US to US orders only, one was a little slow. I had not ordered from them before, so no clue if they are just always a little slow.

My blue blitzen came in today!