[dismiss] FastTech will be on holiday from October 1, 2022 to October 7, 2022. All services resume on October 8, 2022, at 1:00 am (UTC). (details).
ULTON Sputnik RTA - First Impressions
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      10/5/2020 3:44:59 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
s.moriwaki
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2018
  • Posts 299
  • Reviews 59
  • Kudos148
+8 details
ULTON Sputnik RTA - First Impressions
Right off the bat, I had a really bad start, with two major QC problems from Ulton.

Firstly, the stock drip tip would not come off. It was like the thing was literally welded to the tank section. You know that sinking feel you get when you wait patiently for vape mail, and then when it arrives, you're reminded of the perils of buying clones? Yeah, that feeling.

I slid a narrow flat instrument into a gap, used some leverage, and instead of coming off, the top part of the drip tip snapped off and went flying! Had to use some tools to remove the broken bottom part of the drip tip, still embedded to the top of the tank, without damaging anything.

Secondly, the tank section is held together with the base, using three O-rings. You can see the first two O-rings in the photo. Those are fine. The third O-ring is on the inside, where the chimney is. It was way too big and flimsy. Every time I'd try to attach the tank with the base section, the chimney would snag on the O-ring, pulling it out and stretching it. I replaced the O-ring with what I had handy, and now it's all good.

Curious to know other people's opinions. I wouldn't be surprised if your Sputnik is totally fine. That's how it is with clones, I guess.

As for the pros, very good flavour, and no dry hits or leaking. Wicked it up like I always wick RTAs. All good. It's too early for me to say if this is a special RTA. But so far, it's a decent addition to most people's collection, I would imagine.

Also, I think the stock air disk is 1.5mm. It's a bit too airy for me, and not silent at all. I'll have more thoughts in a few days after I've changed air disks and put the Sputnik through a few more paces. So far, so good, but horrible start. Definitely not a positive straight out of the box experience for me.

#2 (permalink)      10/6/2020 8:10:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Lalli
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 216
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos149
Thanks for the info. A bit strange that Ulton would make that bad job, usually they do very well... I hope Shenray is less problematic but mine has not even shipped. But good to hear that it vapes well after all.
#3 (permalink)      10/6/2020 5:51:47 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
s.moriwaki
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2018
  • Posts 299
  • Reviews 59
  • Kudos148
I'm getting intense, saturated flavour from the Sputnik. So that's the good news.

You can also chain vape and take really long pulls and no sign of dry hits. The tank stays pretty cool as well.

However, I'm also using the air disk with the tightest airflow now. It was listed as equivalent to 1mm, but it still feels on the looser side of MTL airflows.
#4 (permalink)      10/9/2020 2:36:45 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
burner94
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2020
  • Posts 168
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos90
Hey @s.moriwaki is the 4 x 0.6mm insert anymore silent than the 6x0.6mm? And does it feel like a 1.2mm draw, or looser? Have your opinions of it changed after some use/is it living up to your expectations?

Edited on 10/9/2020 at 5:48 AM. Reason:
#5 (permalink)      10/9/2020 9:17:35 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
s.moriwaki
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2018
  • Posts 299
  • Reviews 59
  • Kudos148
+1 details
burner94 wrote:

Hey @s.moriwaki is the 4 x 0.6mm insert anymore silent than the 6x0.6mm? And does it feel like a 1.2mm draw, or looser? Have your opinions of it changed after some use/is it living up to your expectations?

Hi, burner. Yes, it's quieter with the smallest air disk. But then again, I'm sure some people would disagree with me and say the Sputnik is quiet overall. But the thing is, I'm comparing it to the FeV 4.5S+, which is still my favourite RTA, and it's not just quiet, it's silent. Another favourite of mine is the 415. The 415 is quieter than the Sputnik. On all three RTAs, I've been using the same build, a 1 ohm 28ga coil at 16 watts. So it really depends what each person defines as quiet, and their build.

Also, it doesn't help how each air disk is described as 1mm or 1.2mm "equivalents." Put it this way, I've never thought of myself as someone who enjoys incredibly tight MTL draws. But on the tightest air disk, even I think it should be a bit tighter.

On the plus side, I'm getting stunning flavour. I've been vaping two mixes so far, one with Connecticut Shade and one with Creme de Menthe, both from Flavorah, and both serving as the foundations for the mixes. I only vape aromatic and non-aromatic tobaccos and lately I've been vaping a lot of mint/menthols, for the throat hit. Like Sacha said in his video, the Sputnik seems to really bring out the sweetness in juices. I don't use any sweetener, but as I'm sure you know, a lot of the stuff we vape have sweet notes in them, even NETs.

#6 (permalink)      10/9/2020 9:47:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
burner94
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2020
  • Posts 168
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos90
Damn, I use 1.2mm inserts on all of my RTA's, hopefully it doesn't feel any looser than 1.4mm. I always found the FeV accentuated sweetness, hopefully the sputnik doesn't overdo it for me. I'm actually just waiting on an order of Flavorah tobaccos, and a bunch of mint concentrates to be delivered. Looking forward to testing them on the sputnik. Thanks for the write up!
#7 (permalink)      10/9/2020 10:08:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
s.moriwaki
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2018
  • Posts 299
  • Reviews 59
  • Kudos148
+1 details
burner94 wrote:

Damn, I use 1.2mm inserts on all of my RTA's, hopefully it doesn't feel any looser than 1.4mm. I always found the FeV accentuated sweetness, hopefully the sputnik doesn't overdo it for me. I'm actually just waiting on an order of Flavorah tobaccos, and a bunch of mint concentrates to be delivered. Looking forward to testing them on the sputnik. Thanks for the write up!

1.2mm? Oh, in that case, you'll definitely be fine. Not sure that the super tight MTL guys would like the tightest air disk though.

Edited on 10/9/2020 at 10:08 AM. Reason:
#8 (permalink)      10/9/2020 6:11:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Lalli
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 216
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos149
I’m a little worried now while waiting mine to ship, I never vape anything looser than 1mm. But maybe I can block some holes on airdisk if needed.
#9 (permalink)      10/9/2020 9:44:56 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
notbody
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2016
  • Posts 536
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos241

Edited on 10/23/2020 at 4:06 PM. Reason:
#10 (permalink)      10/10/2020 1:05:08 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2311
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2029
FWIW, four 0.6mm holes would be equivalent to 1.2mm (and six of them would be more than 1.4mm but less than 1.5mm). Definitely not in my ballpark - it's well over twice the airflow of a 0.8mm hole. But hey, the original Kayfun Lite was 1.2mm, and although SvoëMesto made the base hole bigger (for more air) and added an airflow screw to tighten up the Plus for "proper" MTL as well, it wasn't like the no-Plus Lite didn't sell - and 1.2mm is the default on a lot of "insert" tanks, bridges and RBAs. It works for a lot of people; just not for the likes of me.

Edited on 10/10/2020 at 1:53 AM. Reason:
#11 (permalink)      10/15/2020 7:10:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
burner94
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2020
  • Posts 168
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos90
Hey @s.moriwaki I received my ulton sputnik today. You weren't kidding, that drip tip was hell to dislodge, and the o-ring is shredding like crazy when I adjust the JFC.

Have you found that your airflow increase when screwing the RTA onto a mod? It seems like the airdisk is shifting when the 510 pin's pressed down. I swapped out the orings on the airdisks to make them more snug, but it's only improved the issue slightly.

Edited on 10/15/2020 at 9:29 AM. Reason: