Reccomend me some sbs box mod
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#81 (permalink)      11/8/2021 5:43:03 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896
Never really enjoyed using SBS mods too much,as my hands are too big, and most modders put the fire button very low on the front, where only my ring or pinky finger naturally fits, which combined with the small size, cramps my hands (already have nerve damage from guitar/ welding for 15 years)...

...but I totally get the appeal, and there are some nice designs coming out, occasionally.

My favorite? The Supbox, due to a bigger body and higher fire button, but I get the most use out of the Mixx with 21700, and this little gem...which afaik, is the only with a sliding, adjustable body that allows for different height rtas - something that should be integrated into mainstream SBS mods.
What does he mean when he says words?
#82 (permalink)      11/8/2021 12:01:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Brianstech
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 85
  • Reviews 44
  • Kudos80
+1 details
Carrion4worm, I've seen those mods like maybe a year ago.. Nice, looks like a Tek Division.

The white looks great with the black tank and battery tube. I like colorful mods because they are a lot less likely to get lost in a customer's basement or under the hood of my car.

My hands are big also, but I really like tiny mods regardless. I'm right-handed so I vape with my left, but the small loss of the end of my index finger makes it difficult to feel the firing buttons if they're not prominent. The Stratum Balance clone and the Kizoku Techmod make me constantly visually locate the buttons. Thankfully the B'adapt has a protruding firing button.

I also agree with the notion of an adjustable height in a SBS. For really tall 22mm tanks I bought an SXK Sunbox Moonraker E8 clone. It's a metal brick in the hand, but the tank base slides on 3 metal rods. It's adjustable for basically any tank regardless of height, and hides them inside nicely. The firing button is way up toward the top.

Edited on 11/8/2021 at 4:56 PM. Reason:
#83 (permalink)      11/8/2021 1:42:05 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RattyRat
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2015
  • Posts 352
  • Reviews 115
  • Kudos205
damn! that Moonraker looks awesome!
I WANT IT!
#84 (permalink)      11/8/2021 1:45:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RattyRat
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2015
  • Posts 352
  • Reviews 115
  • Kudos205
oh... this will be my Christmas present for my self :)
So, my man! list all the cons so I dont have to get few bucks shorter
#85 (permalink)      11/8/2021 3:40:21 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Brianstech
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 85
  • Reviews 44
  • Kudos80
RattyRat, there really aren't any serious cons with the Moonraker E8 clone.

But...

It's a somewhat heavy big brick in the hand, corners aren't rounded off except 2 are beveled at 45 degrees.. The little brass thumbwheel that locks the slide doesn't function well (but works okay), there's a 510 gap that doesn't matter since it doesn't show.. It's got a brass screw-in battery cap that's hard to move without a coin or pair of needle-nose pliers, and some people complain that the large removable cover, and the LCD cover plate, aren't quite the same color as the rest of the mod. They are wrong, they're just not as glossy.

The reviews I've read were quite good, and even fascinating because people kept calling it 'a work of art'. It's certainly unique.

I bought it for 35 bucks for my $5 Vapemaster Aurora (shown in the picture), but I've got a dead short in that RTA. I'll take a closer look at it soon because it puts out some great flavor. In the meantime my Scylla works very well in it.

The Moonraker E8 is great for $35, and they still have them in both colors (green and black). You'll have to do an online search to find them, but I think it's really worth it. I don't use mine a lot, and I certainly don't take it anywhere with me, but I'm very happy to own one.
#86 (permalink)      11/8/2021 6:23:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896
I love my Moonrakers, they are indeed well made, and I've used the original, even the Sunbox panels fit! For the brave, a Dna 60 can be switched out, but the buttons are a real pain to solder.

I thought no one liked the Moonraker, yeah it's heavy, but no more than any standard mod, plus, it's just cool! People ask for originality, but then ignore it when it arrives, lol!

Yes, the SBS is about 9 months old, and though a bit expensive....it's quite nice, SLS PA12 print, and perhaps the most chip/wiring I've ever seen crammed into such a small mod.

That other place may still have some E8's....you know the one...

Edited on 11/8/2021 at 6:31 PM. Reason:
#87 (permalink)      11/8/2021 6:30:49 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896
For the battery cap, Sunbox designed them for your thumb to be pressed down on the cap, and spun...no tools, nothing. It works great, try it! Simply press your thumb over the cap, and the "star design cut'outs" grab your meaty thumb and spins right off.

The biggest drawback I would mention is the manual 510, it will need adjusting for different atties....better to find a permanent rta, and "mate" the pair....I broke my first one's 510 by forcing a rta down, but the vendor sent me another...I have green and black, and love mixing and matching front and side panels for a two-tone look.

I recommend if you have lots of 22mm rtas, it's about the same size as a Billet, just a bit thicker.

Edited on 11/8/2021 at 7:10 PM. Reason:
#88 (permalink)      11/8/2021 6:38:47 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896

Size comparison: aio vs. aio!

Guess which one has better flavor....
#89 (permalink)      11/8/2021 7:00:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Brianstech
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 85
  • Reviews 44
  • Kudos80
+1 details
Well, I guess I'll never get too old to learn.. Thanks to Carrion4worm:

I didn't know they had an adjustable 510. I thought it was spring-loaded.

I didn't know how easy it is to spin the battery cap with my thumb. Surprising amount of torque that way.

And I didn't know billet boxes are so big.

Thanks for that.

And yes, that other place has both colors in stock for $35. It's actually funny how another place is asking around $75. For that price a person could buy both a black and green, and still have $5 for shipping.

Edited on 11/8/2021 at 7:29 PM. Reason:
#90 (permalink)      11/9/2021 8:44:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896
The Billets are much slimmer, and that is their saving grace...about 4mm slimmer, with rounded corners that make it feel even smaller.

But the feeling of having your favorite 22mm atty tucked away, safe and sound is awesome. A quick flick of the locking wheel gives access to the elevator for filling, and two vertical air inlets in the strong magnetic panel allows air to enter the mod and get to the atomizer.

Functions better in the left hand for me, with thumb fire - but righties can reverse the mod and trigger fire with comfort as well. Just remember - when the 510 adjustment gets tight, STOP. Don't fret if there is a small gap with some atties - it won't be seen anyway.

It's old skool, so set expectations accordingly...A more funtional, smaller version of the RAILBOX, and a great 1 to 1 reproduction by SXK.

@Brianstech: Have fun with your great set-ups!

Edited on 11/9/2021 at 8:50 AM. Reason:
#91 (permalink)      11/9/2021 11:25:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Brianstech
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 85
  • Reviews 44
  • Kudos80
+1 details
Carrion4worm, yes I thumb fire mine in my left hand with the tank on the far side. Works well, but you can really tell what it was designed for when you try it in the right hand. Feels so natural.

I never had any desire to venture into billet boxes, especially being somewhat new to the whole vaping thing. Most I've looked at start around $100, then there's all of those expensive add-ons.. Bridges and boros, it's like a whole different language. Then they look like the potential for leaks is way up there.

No, I'm very happy with my simple mods and RTA's. Many of mine are side-by-sides, then a bunch of what I call "offsets" that have the tank next to the battery cap like Picos. Technically, they probably qualify as SBS. I also have a few I call "stacked" because the tank is stacked on top of the battery.

My Smok Scar Mini and Aegis Solo are waterproof, which makes them great for use in the Jacuzzi.

I like mods that run around $30 to $50, but a couple cost me $60. Then for RTA's I like the $10 to $20 range, even though I've spent over $30 a few times. You can call me cheap, but at least I'm happy.

Aaaaandd, that's why I bought the Moonraker. $35 to go with a $5 RTA, now that's what I like! Hopefully I can fix the dead short in that tank soon.