Please help with a Blotto.
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      9/1/2022 2:01:51 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
lenogevne
  • JoinedSep 2022
  • Posts 1
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0
Please help with a Blotto.
Oh, wise vapers, hear my wary tale of woe. I've been vaping for about six years and felt it was time for me to start building on an RTA. I see all these reviewers on YouTube rave about the superior flavor and clouds from RTA/RDAs and wanted to experience this since I'm going from stock coil to coil chasing flavor, and clouds too. Plus, I'm getting sick of having to worry about websites or vape shops carrying my coils and having them in stock, not to mention the price. I also thought I'd be able to buy cotton and coils from Amazon and avoid this stupid vape tax, fees, and shipping (I'm an Amazon Prime member). So, in my infinite wisdom, I go out and buy a Blotto, dual coil, RTA because I could either run a dual or single coil, the six milliliter capacity, and the wonderous flavor that I'm hearing about. People on YouTube making building look so easy, I though, and I said to myself, "I got this." I knew about the restricted lung hit from the Blotto, but was also recommended to start with a single coil setup and that, "it's really hard to mess up the wicking," on this RTA. I thought to myself, "I'll buy some stainless steel prebuilt coils from coilology, some kanthal from WOTOFO, and some COTN wicks, this shouldn't be too hard." I was soooo wrong. I can't make anything work and experience this magical flavor I hear about and cannot stand a dual coil build because of the restriction on the draw. I think I've invested 40 hours in YouTube videos and internet searches on coil types, uses, installation, wicking, wicking, wicking, and invested just as much in trying to make this RTA work without leaks, dry hits, and some evidence of good flavor. I though maybe if I buy some nichrome coils, that might solve my problem, or maybe some better cotton, "that will surely do it," or maybe it's just the juice... So, yeah. This is as much my way to vent, and it is to allow people with way more experience chime in on my situation. I've returned to vaping on my Sakerz, and a Marvos pod tank, being thankful that I have those and maybe I was ungrateful for the sub-ohm, stock coil tanks that I do have, because they are some of the best on the market. The only one I'm missing, and will probably be my next vaping hardware purchase, is a Uwell product (leaning toward a Valyrian 2 Pro, or maybe a Crown 5). What do you guys think?
#2 (permalink)      9/1/2022 3:07:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gigirat67
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2016
  • Posts 550
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos289
Keep trying, it will work out eventually, with the help of steam-engine and kanthal A1. What mod are you using ?
#3 (permalink)      9/1/2022 4:09:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
VicViking
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 826
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos560
So ... you just got here, and are SHIT at coil building & wicking (your spelling could stand an upgrade as well) I though maybe if I buy some nichrome coils ... "thought" NOT "though".

A Blotto !!! Really ... that's where you start ???

Where do "I" start ???

NO to Valyrian II Pro
NO to Crown V
NO to anything with a Bullshit Build Deck
NO to anything with Bottom Airflow
NO to anything with a Flip or Sliding Top Cap

My shows are starting, I'll show ya some "YES" things ... later.

SKU 9733594

and

SKU 9744373

or

SKU 9744371

A Good Match & A Good Start
Is The Fucking You Get, Worth The Fucking You Get ???
#4 (permalink)      9/1/2022 4:32:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Lucifer_Dreams
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 7660
  • Reviews 97
  • Kudos8415
lenogevne wrote:

Oh, wise vapers, hear my wary tale of woe. I've been vaping for about six years and felt it was time for me to start building on an RTA.

In order to fully understand the single coil setup you wish to achieve a good vaping experience in a tank that normally is configured to use dual coils it is necessary to provide which model of tank being used.

Example Blotto Max:

Do to the deck size and the wicking channels normally a 4mm inner diameter and above is recommended. A 4mm inner diameter coil allows for a larger wick to be used where at the bottom of the wicking channel you can thin the end of the wick better yet still keep the full wicking channel covered with cotton so no leaks occur.

You should be able to only feel the slightest resistance when pulling on the cotton. You don't want a choke point where the cotton goes into the wicking channel but you also don't want the cotton to move to easy where the ejuice will flow freely buy it.

A 3.5 mm inner diameter coil can work in a max but normally will not provide enough cotton to be used to achieve the desired results of good juice flow. Cotton even though a great media for wicking does shrink after repeated heat being applied to it.

Just like a waterfall it starts off heavy at the top and becomes lighter at the bottom. Cotton should feel heavy inside the coil then gradually feel lighter at the end. How light at the end depends upon the space in the wicking channel. Trial and error stage of wicking sad to say.

Blotto 1.5: 3.5 mm inner diameter single coil. Blotto Single Coil: 2.5mm to 3 mm inner diameter single coil.

If done right you can get between 3 to 5 tank fills before a wick change should be done. Blotto can be affected by condensation and weeping if the tank is pushed to much with refills and no wick change.

Please note: The above does not fully take into consideration your vaping style. If using more watts then the amount of tank fills will be reduced plus it doesn't take into account the VG/PG ratio being used in your vape juice. Higher PG the more need to keep the wicking channel a little thicker with cotton.

Never play with matches. You might burn the skin off your face.
#5 (permalink)      9/1/2022 4:36:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
VicViking
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 826
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos560
Or

SKU 9743190

and

SKU 9730801

you'll also want

SKU 9640065

and

SKU 9553300
#6 (permalink)      9/1/2022 4:45:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Lucifer_Dreams
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 7660
  • Reviews 97
  • Kudos8415
+1 details
VicViking wrote:

So ... you just got here, and are SHIT at coil building & wicking (your spelling could stand an upgrade as well) I though maybe if I buy some nichrome coils ... "thought" NOT "though".

A Blotto !!! Really ... that's where you start ???

Where do "I" start ???

NO to Valyrian II Pro
NO to Crown V
NO to anything with a Bullshit Build Deck
NO to anything with Bottom Airflow
NO to anything with a Flip or Sliding Top Cap

My shows are starting, I'll show ya some "YES" things ... later.

SKU 9733594

and

SKU 9744373

or

SKU 9744371

A Good Match & A Good Start

lenogevne. VicViking even though a straight to the point person, which in by no means a bad thing does make a valid point about choosing a vaping tank that might work well to achieve your goal.

I differ only with the tank to use. Pyro while having good points to it doesn't for me and stating me only achieve good enough flavor when using a single coil build. Dual coils it's okay. My recommendation if you choose that route would be SKU 9748625.

Never play with matches. You might burn the skin off your face.
#7 (permalink)      9/1/2022 4:59:09 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
VicViking
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 826
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos560
Lucifer_Dreams wrote:

You should be able to only feel the slightest resistance when pulling on the cotton. You don't want a choke point where the cotton goes into the wicking channel but you also don't want the cotton to move to easy where the ejuice will flow freely buy it.

Blotto 1.5: 3.5 mm inner diameter single coil. Blotto Single Coil: 2.5mm to 3 mm inner diameter single coil.

If done right you can get between 3 to 5 tank fills before a wick change should be done. Blotto can be affected by condensation and weeping if the tank is pushed to much with refills and no wick change.

Please note: The above does not fully take into consideration your vaping style. If using more watts then the amount of tank fills will be reduced plus it doesn't take into account the VG/PG ratio being used in your vape juice. Higher PG the more need to keep the wicking channel a little thicker with cotton.

"If" wicked properly ... a KYLIN M can go "Months" (I Shit You Not) before re-wickiing or changing the coil. I did say "If" wicked properly ... and that'll take a few tries to get right.

#8 (permalink)      9/1/2022 5:56:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
VicViking
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 826
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos560
Lucifer_Dreams wrote:

About choosing a vaping tank that might work well to achieve your goal ... I differ only with the tank to use. Pyro while having good points to it doesn't for me and stating me only achieve good enough flavor when using a single coil build. Dual coils it's okay. My recommendation if you choose that route would be SKU 9748625.

SKU 9748625 that's a new one on Me

and it's been out over 8 months !!! I like the improved airflow over the original Pyro 24 ... and I'm diggin' it's Evil Medieval Knights Helmet look, and it comes with a squonk pin !!!

I 100% agree about Single Coils DOMINATING over Dual Coils.

Faster Ramp-Up
Longer Battery Life
Richer Flavor
Easier, Quicker, and More Efficient Wicking

It's a Win Win, no matter how Ya look at it !!!

Myself ... I use

SKU 9654696

in both, Pyro 24 ... and Pyro V4
6 Spaced Wraps, 3.5mm/4mm id, 0.25ish ohms, 48 Watts ...

#9 (permalink)      9/1/2022 6:32:23 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 911
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos861
I'm not sure which version of the Blotto you have.

If you have bought the original - use DUAL coils but use 2.5mm internal diameter NOT 3mm. The OG Blotto is not supposed to be an airy cloud chucker and the small honeycomb airflow gives some restriction even when wide open - using a pair of 3mm coils will choke the airflow. A pair of 2.5mm i.d. coils will reduce the restriction but there will still be some and it does give good flavour when set up properly.

You can use a single coil in it which will open up the airflow, but in my personal experience it works better with dual coils at 2.5mm internal diameter. If you want to run a single coil the Blotto Single is the one to go for in the Blotto iank range - using the OG in single coil is a compromise that will reduce the restriction, but doesn't give the best flavour. If you want an airy cloud chucker tank forget the Blotto as that isn't what it was designed for.

I don't have the Blotto Max, so I have no idea on that one.

Edit - As you have already bought some Coilology coils try unwinding a pair and rewrapping them around a 2.5mm jig or drill bit as they are probably 3mm which are too large to be used in dual mode. Try it - you have nothing to lose. Also ignore any suggestions to avoid bottom airflow tanks - learn how to wick instead and you will find they give the best flavour.

Edited on 9/1/2022 at 6:44 AM
#10 (permalink)      9/1/2022 6:48:03 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
mat.mc33
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2019
  • Posts 44
  • Reviews 90
  • Kudos27
+5 details
This is a copy and paste from a year old Reddit post, leads me to believe it may be spam. I could be wrong though.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vaping/comments/q8fequ/please_help_with_a_blotto/
#11 (permalink)      9/1/2022 6:53:29 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 911
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos861
Well spotted mat.mc33.

It will be interesting to see if the OP returns to the thread, or edits the original post with a dubious link...